Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 5.1 Problems

Safari 5.1 Problems
cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2011, 08:29 PM

Just DLed Safari 5.1 for Mac 10.6.8 and have nothing good to say about it. All downloads either load into the browser window directly or open in QuickTime within the browser window. I have no DL manager installed. Makes Safari 5.1 useless for me.

Also, 1Password's integration w/ Safari leaves much to be desired...1Password used to just enter passwords when I press command-\ but now it pops up a Chrome-esque window asking for which login to use...of course I want to use the only password available...duh. What's the point of this window (only happens in Safari 5.1). Finally, 1Password's password request window sometimes pops up blank...100% black.

Hate to go back to Firefox but at least it works.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2011, 03:01 PM

also, I just noticed Safari reloads tabs when they've been inactive for a while. Very annoying. A google search reveals most users don't like that "feature". On the other hand, I must say that it is more responsive and takes less memory (but I still have to relaunch it frequently as it is using up to 1.5 GB of real memory after a while)

Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2011, 07:39 PM

My Safari is also driving me nuts , it keeps locking up , presenting blank pages and expecting me to force reload ALL the pages I have open , if I had one or two that might be OK but I often have 30 -50 open at once as I cross reference etc ,with a months limit to my broadband of 12Gb this is spain both in terms of volume and time wasted.
As for this fool of a spell checker that substitutes words instead of just indicating errors i now spend twice as much time making sure it has not put in some inane word , I am of the old pick and peck typing school so rarely look at the screen until finished typing - produces some wild results :-)
I know on the scale off things not a big problem - but still annoying
Ron
"a pain" became "spain" --left that one in as an example

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yarlington View Post
My Safari is also driving me nuts , it keeps locking up , presenting blank pages and expecting me to force reload ALL the pages I have open , if I had one or two that might be OK but I often have 30 -50 open at once as I cross reference etc ,with a months limit to my broadband of 12Gb this is spain both in terms of volume and time wasted.
I've been dealing with this a great deal too. When this happens are you seeing spindumps, or Webkit process crashes in your logs? You can access these via the Console app.

Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I've been dealing with this a great deal too. When this happens are you seeing spindumps, or Webkit process crashes in your logs? You can access these via the Console app.
I am one of those lazy people who bought Macs for the last 15+ years because I said I did not want to have to do that sort of thing .I always said "if you want to tinker buy Windows if you just want to get on with the job buy Apple" , seems like I might have to eat my words if this keeps up (not that I ever intend to go Window shopping )
Very annoying of Apple to let the side down , I buy a car for reliability (and other factors) I buy Apple because it usually is trouble free (as any modern computer over the years can be)
oh well it was good while it lasted

Ron :-)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 02:34 AM

I am one of those lazy people who bought Macs for the last 15+ years because I said I did not want to have to do that sort of thing .I always said "if you want to tinker buy Windows if you just want to get on with the job buy Apple" , seems like I might have to eat my words if this keeps up (not that I ever intend to go Window shopping )
Very annoying of Apple to let the side down , I buy a car for reliability (and other factors) I buy Apple because it usually is trouble free (as any modern computer over the years can be)
oh well it was good while it lasted

Ron :-)

Well, this might be fixed in 10.7.1, and it certainly wouldn't be unprecedented in the history of Apple or anyone else for their initial major release to have some glitches.

If you are running any extensions in Safari I would suggest disabling them. Apple is probably to blame for creating a non-bulletproof system if third party extensions have the power to bring down Safari like this, but they cannot be solely to blame either.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 06:41 AM

As for this fool of a spell checker that substitutes words instead of just indicating errors i now spend twice as much time making sure it has not put in some inane word , I am of the old pick and peck typing school so rarely look at the screen until finished typing - produces some wild results :-)
I know on the scale off things not a big problem - but still annoying
Ron
"a pain" became "spain" --left that one in as an example
So, um, turn it off?

Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2011, 06:47 AM

OK had a look
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

and

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0xe00002bd ebx: 0x8f1a4001 ecx: 0xbfffdb3c edx: 0xe00002bd
edi: 0xbfffdaf0 esi: 0x538d3000 ebp: 0xbfffda78 esp: 0xbfffda78
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010296 eip: 0x8f0d975f cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x00000000

blimey there is a lot of gobbledegook in that lot - beyond me -- no idea what I am looking at and no real wish to start studying it in my retirement years :-)

couldn't find any references to spin dumps -- whatever they are !

thanks for trying
Ron

Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2011, 06:49 AM

Well, this might be fixed in 10.7.1, and it certainly wouldn't be unprecedented in the history of Apple or anyone else for their initial major release to have some glitches.

If you are running any extensions in Safari I would suggest disabling them. Apple is probably to blame for creating a non-bulletproof system if third party extensions have the power to bring down Safari like this, but they cannot be solely to blame either.
No extensions at all installed , checked Preferences and none shown

Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
So, um, turn it off?
OK this is my time to shine as the local idiot I know but how does one turn off the spell checker it is in all the software as best i can detect , even writing messages here it will function, in Safari, Mail,

keynote, pages, probably Photoshop even
is there an "Off" option that is universal ?
I appreciate the suggestion and welcome further clarification of process
thanks
Ron

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 06:55 AM

OK had a look
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

and

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0xe00002bd ebx: 0x8f1a4001 ecx: 0xbfffdb3c edx: 0xe00002bd
edi: 0xbfffdaf0 esi: 0x538d3000 ebp: 0xbfffda78 esp: 0xbfffda78
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010296 eip: 0x8f0d975f cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x00000000

blimey there is a lot of gobbledegook in that lot - beyond me -- no idea what I am looking at and no real wish to start studying it in my retirement years :-)

couldn't find any references to spin dumps -- whatever they are !

thanks for trying
Ron
32-bit Safari?

What system and OS version are you running on?

What's the information ABOVE what you quoted?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 06:57 AM

Also, is your Flash plug-in the latest version?

Also: Are you running 1Password? Make sure to update to the latest version - not doing so can result in oddities like the thread starter is seeing.

Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2011, 07:33 AM

er it is Lion, installed this week , no updates available / shown when I checked
as for the 32 bit reference like i said I have no idea what that lot is about I just looked where you said to look and grabbed a couple of lines that might have meant something to a person more informed than me but considering the amount of data shown I was not sure folks would appreciate a 20,000 word list of info (or however big it is - it was big!)

I am not running anything but the straight out of the box software i do not download extensions or gizmos to make it better I am happy to leave the tinkering to the people who make the thing

time for bed , perhaps it will go away by itself overnight if I pray to the Apple gods :-)

my flash player is an Adobe product, which surely is nothing to do with Safari?
version 10.1 r102
oh great I did a search for plug ins under "Solve Safari Problems" and it tells me I am not connected to the internet

that's it

good night all
Ron

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 07:45 AM

Hint: Do you know what the Flash Player is used for? Which application does the Flash Player actually run within?

Go here: Adobe - Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player

and download the latest version.

See if that fixes things.

There is a good reason Apple no longer includes Flash with their systems.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2011, 08:41 AM

I always keep my 1Password current...that;'s my most helpful app I think...can't like without it. As far as not wanting to have to tinker, just use FF or Chrome until Apple fixes Safari.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2011, 03:08 PM

Current Safari really just isn't much good at all. Far too many rough edges for synch an integral part of the OS update.

Crashes on launch. A lot
Page reload is a right pain
Restart into last state is more often annoying due to delays than it is a pleasant event.

Current password implementation is a step back from before (not strictly Safari's fault I guess)
Huge font issues with many web sites

Sadly, I'm not a fan of either Chrome browser OR Firefox, so a bit stuck until Apple can raise Safari's game.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 03:14 PM

Offering to restore the last open windows/tabs rather than just doing it for you without asking seems like an obvious design decision for me,,,

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 03:17 PM

Offering to restore the last open windows/tabs rather than just doing it for you without asking seems like an obvious design decision for me,,,
Closing a window with tabs in it used to prompt user action, not just quitting the application.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 03:27 PM

Closing a window with tabs in it used to prompt user action, not just quitting the application.
Which I often found annoying. There is probably some ui rule about apps not making significant decisions on your behalf without prompt.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2011, 03:40 PM

Which I often found annoying. There is probably some ui rule about apps not making significant decisions on your behalf without prompt.
On the other hand you have to be careful about that otherwise you end up with Windows.
"Are you sure you want to do that."
"Are you really sure?"
"That thing you told me to do is about to happen, did you ask for that or do you have a virus?"
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Jul 29, 2011 at 03:46 PM. )
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2011, 03:47 PM

There is definitely a balance between providing useful controls and nagging with wager Vista style, but the virus thing is interesting...

What would stop a malware author to write to whatever file so that the next time you opened Safari all sorts of unsafe sites would load, and even to set this file with read only permissions so that this would happen at every launch? No root access needed...

Yarlington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Current Safari really just isn't much good at all. Far too many rough edges for synch an integral part of the OS update.

Crashes on launch. A lot
Page reload is a right pain
Restart into last state is more often annoying due to delays than it is a pleasant event.

Current password implementation is a step back from before (not strictly Safari's fault I guess)
Huge font issues with many web sites

Sadly, I'm not a fan of either Chrome browser OR Firefox, so a bit stuck until Apple can raise Safari's game.
I gave in and decided to try firefox.
Early days I only downloaded it last night but so far no problem it picked up all my bookmarks and even passwords from Safari
BUT the most interesting change is in my use of Keynote and Numbers -the maddening delays I was experiencing seem to have diminished in frequency and duration
Now if I could just run off the spellchecker!
On another forum i got the idea of the Safari being very memory hungry so I ran activity monitor and it was downright scarey -I had 7.5 Mb of free RAM out of 4 Gb and the virtual memory was running into many gb no wonder everything was slowing down to a crawl
Sorry Apple but Safari needs one huge rebuild and rethink

I have never gone outside Apple's own browser and mail before but this one made me - it cannot be worse surely?
If nothing else it (Firefox) will serve until the next Safari update rectifies the problems it is creating
worth try
Ron

P
Aug 6, 2011, 10:58 AM

On another forum i got the idea of the Safari being very memory hungry so I ran activity monitor and it was downright scarey -I had 7.5 Mb of free RAM out of 4 Gb and the virtual memory was running into many gb no wonder everything was slowing down to a crawl
While it's certainly possible that Safari is a memory hog, make sure that you understand what you are reading in Activity monitor. The important bit is how much memory is Inactive. The classifications are:

Wired: Memory that is in use and cannot be paged to disk. This is only parts of the OS, and nothing you can affect.
Active: Memory that is in use and shouldn't be paged to disk, but can in an emergency. This can be reduced by quitting an open application.
Inactive: Memory that is not in use but is kept around to possibly speed something up in the future.
Free: Memory that is not in use and can be reused at a moment's notice.

If you quit an open application, the amount of Free memory will not go up directly. Active will go down and Inactive go up, because what happens is that the OS keeps that app in memory to be able to relaunch it quickly if you want to do so. It will only throw it out when there is a need for more memory.

This means that you being low on Free memory is good - it means that the OS is using all of your memory to improve your performance. If you think that you are running out of memory, look at the number of pageouts. A pageout is when something that is in Active memory has to be paged out to disk because the OS needs more memory. If that number goes up, then you are indeed running out of memory. Being low on Free memory means absolutely nothing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Rumor
Aug 6, 2011, 03:04 PM

Keychain has become selective which sites it will use, which is almost none.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2011, 01:03 AM

Those experiencing crashes: turn off your extensions and see if that fixes it. Then enable them one by one and see when the crashing begins.

Safari is pretty much rock-solid over here, even after the 5.1 update.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2011, 11:09 AM

There is a good reason Apple no longer includes Flash with their systems.
Not really, apart from the fact that Apple seems to be incapable of making Flash work nicely with their browser. Google Chrome, using the very same rendering engine, demonstrated quite nicely that Apple's engineering efforts are quite average and that there is indeed no good reason why Apple no longer includes Flash with their system.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Keychain has become selective which sites it will use, which is almost none.
Hasn't that always been the case? I guess it depends on the browser, but Safari never reliably used the Keychain.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2011, 01:11 PM

It has very reliably for me until recently, but I blame MobileMe switcharoos for weird syncing glitches in the keychain.

Yarlington: DID you ever update the Flash Player? You never responded.

Forum Links
Forum Rules