Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Can't hear click wheel sound on new 5G ipod

Can't hear click wheel sound on new 5G ipod
NightEyes
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 11:44 PM

I can only hear the click wheel sound through the head phones, even with "on" selected in the settings menu. Am I missing something or is the pod defective?
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 10:24 AM

Mine makes an audible click even without headphones plugged in. Sounds like yours has a dead speaker.
12.1" Powerbook G4

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 02:51 PM

Ok, so clearly this has already more or less been said, but the preference in the nano and the ipod color for clicker in headphones or speaker has been replaced with the 3g on/off option.

I really miss being able to just hear it thru the headphones as i don't think anyone around me wants to hear incessant clicking while i look for music..

That said, some weird things have happened to mine when toggling on/off the clicker. Sometimes sproradically it comes thru the headphones as well, other times just thru the external speaker.

Anyone else having weird issues with the clicker?

Apple, where's my firmware update? I want the clicker preferences back!!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 04:16 AM

Check your settings that the click sound is what you want (headphones only, no clicking sound, external or both).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Check your settings that the click sound is what you want (headphones only, no clicking sound, external or both).
Did you read my post? Those options are no longer available. Perhaps if you owned one, you'd know this.
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by bwatson009
Did you read my post? Those options are no longer available. Perhaps if you owned one, you'd know this.
There's something wrong with not owning the latest? Poor form, guy, poor form.

As for chastising someone for making a suggestion, that's really uncalledfor. He didn't suggest something that won't work, just something you can't do. And isn't ANY suggestion better than no suggestions at all? Besides, YOUR post said nothing about what options were available, just that you had one specific option selected.

And I've had a bunch of interesting situations come up with my iPod where I thought I'd made one setting and instead had selected the one next to it...that happens.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2005, 02:23 PM

Actually, if the iPod was reset or the software updated, the settings can revert to the default, hence my suggestion to double-check the settings once again. When trouble-shooting, I find it best to rule out the obvious first then delve deeper.

But obviously, the OP knows better.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
There's something wrong with not owning the latest? Poor form, guy, poor form.

As for chastising someone for making a suggestion, that's really uncalledfor. He didn't suggest something that won't work, just something you can't do. And isn't ANY suggestion better than no suggestions at all? Besides, YOUR post said nothing about what options were available, just that you had one specific option selected.

And I've had a bunch of interesting situations come up with my iPod where I thought I'd made one setting and instead had selected the one next to it...that happens.

First of all, nothing that i said indicated that there was anything wrong with not owning the latest. I fail to see how you came up with that...

Second, when stating the following: "Ok, so clearly this has already more or less been said, but the preference in the nano and the ipod color for clicker in headphones or speaker has been replaced with the 3g on/off option." I was referring to the 3G iPods on/off menu, vs. the newer headphones/speaker option. I was also referencing an earlier post where someone else had already stated the same. Perhaps i wasn't clear enough here, but it clearly indicated that I had looked at the menu, especially since i compared it's contents.

The post was not intended to be as mean-spirited as you make it seem, it just didn't seem as if my comments were actually read and that's why i responded that way. I am more than willing to help anyone with a question, and am very appreciative of good advice offered by others.

So in closing, thank you for your help, and i apologize if my post was not clear and for snapping in reply.

b
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 23, 2005, 06:47 PM

First of all, nothing that i said indicated that there was anything wrong with not owning the latest. I fail to see how you came up with that...
The tone of "perhaps if you owned one..." seemed confrontational to me, so that' what I was reacting to.

Perhaps i wasn't clear enough here, but it clearly indicated that I had looked at the menu, especially since i compared it's contents.
That certainly didn't come across to me in reading your posts. It was pretty vague to me, in fact, when you said "but the preference in the nano and the ipod color for clicker in headphones or speaker has been replaced with the 3g on/off option." It was not at all clear what you meant-did the options change in this model, did your particular iPod change while you had it?

The post was not intended to be as mean-spirited as you make it seem, it just didn't seem as if my comments were actually read and that's why i responded that way. I am more than willing to help anyone with a question, and am very appreciative of good advice offered by others.
It did seem snappish, like you were more than just a little frustrated at not getting the precise response you were looking for. And while I may not have been in the most neutral of moods when I read what you wrote, I work hard at watching people's posts to see where conflicts come from. I do understand about not being received in the way one intends-a few days ago I recommended (humorously, I thought) that someone with a new Nano that was apparently dead just take advantage of his warranty-he called me a jerk for that. It's amazing how easily well written text can be misinterpreted when the reader does not work at being calm and taking the text at face value.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules