Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 10)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
The PS3 has more games announced than the Wii and will be 100% backwards compatible with PS2 without having to rebuy your games.

But you knew that.
Backwards compatibility? If you want to count that, the Wii beats the PS3 completely, but for the sake of argument, I won't count titles from backwards compatibility.

Wii Launch List:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
Wii Sports (Nintendo)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Retro Studios)
Red Steel (Ubisoft Paris)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (Ubisoft Paris)
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (SEGA)
Elebits (Konami)
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Atlus Software)
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix)
Madden NFL 2007 (EA Canada)
Blitz: The League (Midway Games)
Metal Slug Anthology (SNK Playmore)
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (Toys For Bob)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (TBA/Raven Software)
Disney/Pixar's Cars (Rainbow Games/Kobalt)
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (Blitz Games)

Zelda, MP3, Super Monkey Ball are all going to be good titles to pick up. Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised to see Super Mario Galaxy make launch. Red Steel looks very interesting. And Smash Brothers, coming after launch, is going to be a must buy. And with the Guitar Hero guys looking at switching over to the Wii, it seems to be a pretty good investment.

Now, I couldn't actually find a full list of verified PS3 launch titles. The best I could find was a verified first party one:

• Genji 2
• Angel Rings
• Monster Carnival
• Everybody's Golf
• Gran Turismo Series
• The Eye of Judgement

Now, I'll try to keep from getting to excited between massive crab damage and a Pokemon look alike with a camera. Final Fantasy XIII might be good to pick up, assuming it doesn't also come out for XBox 360, in which case I would just buy it for XBox 360. Tekken? Why would I but that? Doesn't offer me much new over my Gamecube copy of Soul Caliber 3.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Now, I couldn't actually find a full list of verified PS3 launch titles. The best I could find was a verified first party one:

• Genji 2
• Angel Rings
• Monster Carnival
• Everybody's Golf
• Gran Turismo Series
• The Eye of Judgement
Yeah, that seems accurate

Tekken? Why would I but that? Doesn't offer me much new over my Gamecube copy of Soul Caliber 3.
To each their own, but Soul Calibur and Tekken are two very different series. I love both btw

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
Yeah, that seems accurate
Try reading before you quote. I said first party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_party

"In video games:
First-party developer, part of a company that actually manufactures a video game console"

It's a confirmed list. I also said I couldn't find a full list of launch titles. I looked online, but best I could find was a list from 2004, which has very doubtful accuracy.

If you'd like to find a full list, have at it. I looked for probably 20 minutes.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 05:30 PM

To each their own, but Soul Calibur and Tekken are two very different series. I love both btw
Ha.

"Tekken shares some gameplay mechanics and characters with the other Namco-produced 3D fighter series, Soul Calibur."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken

They're different, but not that much.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 05:31 PM

Try reading before you quote. I said first party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_party

"In video games:
First-party developer, part of a company that actually manufactures a video game console"

It's a confirmed list. I also said I couldn't find a full list of launch titles. I looked online, but best I could find was a list from 2004, which has very doubtful accuracy.

If you'd like to find a full list, have at it. I looked for probably 20 minutes.
Oh man, drop the attitude. It's getting ridiculous.

All I know is that the list is pure bollocks, as there are more first party titles geared for launch while others won't make it, GT for one.

Ha. Hahahahahaha.

"Tekken shares some gameplay mechanics and characters with the other Namco-produced 3D fighter series, Soul Calibur."

Well, most people think they are

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 05:32 PM

Oh man, drop the attitude. It's getting ridiculous.

All I know is that the list is pure bollocks, as there are more first party titles geared for launch while others won't make it, GT for one.
The article I found it from was also doubtful GT would make it, but it's a confirmed list.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...2006/1/18/2558

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 06:49 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Super Mario Galaxy make launch.
I would. I seem to recall reading somewhere that deliberately stated SMG would not make the launch. It's kind of funny because from everything I've seen from SMG it looks like they are on the right track and could finish it if they kept their heads down and powered through. However, I'll let them take however long they need to make sure it is better than Super Mario Sunshine.

Now, I couldn't actually find a full list of verified PS3 launch titles. The best I could find was a verified first party one
I think in 5 months Warhawk could be tuned to work properly with Sony's Wiitarded contrroller. I also seem to recall reading that UT2007 would be a PS3 launch title. But when you can do massive damage to giant enemy crabs and have realtime weapon changing it doesn't even matter.

Giant Enemy Crabs = the PS3 version of Snakes on a Plane. They seriously should just retune the game where you fight crabs and only crabs and get Samuel L Jackson to voice the main character. "That's it. I've had it with these mutha****in' crabs on this mutha****in' beach!" I might buy a PS3 if they did that.
Genius. You know who.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2006, 07:27 PM

Ha.

I think they are. I've never liked Tekken much, but I've loved every Soul Calibur game. They don't seem much more alike than Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat did.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
I think in 5 months Warhawk could be tuned to work properly with Sony's Wiitarded contrroller.
I bought Warhawk for PSX, and it sucked. The graphics were good (for the time), and the open playing field was mind-boggling (for the time) -- but the game just got old, fast. I thought it was kind of sad that it made the E3 presentation for Sony, and even more sad that it's being held up as an example of a great PS3 title. Maybe it'll be good... but couldn't Sony have gotten something better to show off?

What's next? Battle Arena Toshinden? I could use a high-rez version of Sophia, I suppose.

Of course, the PS2 launch list sucked too. I remember bringing home Summoner and Fantavision...

Ohwell, the Wii launch list looks pretty darn good. Much better than the GCN's or even the N64's launch lists.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I think they are. I've never liked Tekken much, but I've loved every Soul Calibur game. They don't seem much more alike than Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat did.
*ding ding*

Some of the really early Tekkens were fun, but Soul Calibur II feels much different than the current Tekken crop; I'd rather play Soul Calibur II.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2006, 08:23 AM

I attributed it to being the first one out and having a large game library. Again, the PS3 has neither.
So that means the 360 will rule this time out?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hal06
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Truth be told they (MS) have 100% market share on next gen nowadays… nevertheless it can only go down

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 09:48 AM

I the US they are going to do VERY VERY well this time around. The dashboard update that came out pretty much eliminated any annoyances with the 360 and they are selling incredibly well.

They are still screwed in Japan but that is more because they are all hard core fanboys overthere.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 10:45 AM

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 11:40 AM

I seriously want this:

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I seriously want this:

Yes, you posted that already. Thanks for the repeat.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2006, 04:37 PM

"On Monday, a rumor broke out on the Inquirer regarding some faults with the PS3 hardware. All signs pointed to this rumor being unfounded -- the source, the site's credibility, the spelling and punctuation -- and we told you to take it with a grain of salt. Looks like more than a few developers are agreeing.
Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz (a reputable news site with a proper spell-checker), many top developers called Inquirer's piece a bunch of misrepresentation of immeasurable data figures. "It's exactly what we'd expect," noted one developer, "and the bits that we actually need to use to make games are perfectly fast."

Until the day of launch (and likely for many months afterwards) we will continue to hear rumors and hearsay spring up about Sony's console -- much like we have, much like we will with other consoles -- and we would advise to trust maybe 1% of the rumors that spring up."

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/07/de...ken-ps3-claim/

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2006, 04:52 PM

That's what I've said all along. Although the Wii did better at E3 than I thought, so it probably has a good shot at 1st too. But I've always said before E3 that the XBox 360 would beat out both systems, leaving the Wii and PS3 to battle it out. The Wii certainly has become popular though.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 05:18 PM

"... we would advise to trust maybe 1% of the rumors that spring up."
"Unless it's about track lighting and the Nintendo Wii"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ink
"Unless it's about track lighting and the Nintendo Wii"
Or about the Nintendo Go?

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 05:32 PM

Or about the Nintendo Go?
I don't remember that one...?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ink
I don't remember that one...?
SWG started an entire rant thread on how dumb Nintendo was when a rumor popped up that the Revolution's real name was the Nintendo Go.

Oh wait. Self correction. I looked up the thread and it was Starman, not SWG. Apologies SWG.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=Nintendo+Go

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 05:59 PM

While I highly doubt it, is there any chance for a general truce on the general pissing matches in the gaming threads? Articles and all are fine, but it's bloody annoying to have a page or two of people basically spitting at each other over something that should be fun - gaming.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
While I highly doubt it, is there any chance for a general truce on the general pissing matches in the gaming threads? Articles and all are fine, but it's bloody annoying to have a page or two of people basically spitting at each other over something that should be fun - gaming.
I think some people consider fighting fun. There is something childly mischievious about being being able to antagonize a bunch of people by making stupid comments. Like throwing a rock at a bee hive.
Genius. You know who.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 09:11 PM

Yes, you posted that already. Thanks for the repeat.
Oh your welcome dude. No worries

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 09:23 PM

SWG started an entire rant thread on how dumb Nintendo was when a rumor popped up that the Revolution's real name was the Nintendo Go.

Oh wait. Self correction. I looked up the thread and it was Starman, not SWG. Apologies SWG.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=Nintendo+Go
Yeah it's pretty easy to get em mixed up. They might even be partners with the same wardrobe
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 7, 2006 at 09:57 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
I think some people consider fighting fun. There is something childly mischievious about being being able to antagonize a bunch of people by making stupid comments. Like throwing a rock at a bee hive.

Funny how its the same 2-3 people in every gaming thread who bash Nintendo constantly...while everyone else here loves em.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 7, 2006 at 09:58 PM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 10:49 AM

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a

Funny how its the same 2-3 people in every gaming thread who bash Sony constantly...while everyone else here loves em.
fixed

Hal06
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 12:24 PM

source imdb.com

7 June 2006

New Delay for Blu-ray High Definition

In the latest blow to Sony's Blu-ray high-definition DVD technology, Japan's Pioneer Corp. said today (Wednesday) it will postpone its U.S. launch of Blu-ray players because of delays in Sony's completion of the system's development. Pioneer said it expects to begin shipping Blu-ray players late this year instead of this month. The delay increases the
advantage of Toshiba's rival HD-DVD standard. Toshiba began shipping HD-DVD players in Japan in April.

Caricature that.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Inside Man
Caricature that.

Should we Caricature how bad the HD dvd player are on the market how and how Toshiba is scrambling to clean up the mess because they rushed the player.

I mean 1 minute to boot a DVD player and constant crashing?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2006, 12:45 PM

Should we Caricature how bad the HD dvd player are on the market how and how Toshiba is scrambling to clean up the mess because they rushed the player.

I mean 1 minute to boot a DVD player and constant crashing?
New firmware's been out for 2 weeks.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 12:45 PM

New firmware's been out for 2 weeks.
Does it solve all the problems? How long does it take to boot now?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2006, 01:04 PM

It takes less time to boot, and fixes skipping/dropout issues.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 01:10 PM

It takes less time to boot, and fixes skipping/dropout issues.
Well what is less time? 40 seconds? Cuz to me I really don't find that impressive.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 04:04 PM

Well what is less time? 40 seconds? Cuz to me I really don't find that impressive.
And first-gen Sony products are always top-notch, eh?

Can you skip the FBI warning on HD-DVD players? If not, is there some kind of modded box out there that liberates my remote control from the clutches of the sexually frustrated studio employee that mastered such discs? My current DVD player is modded to ignore all "not allowed" flags on the discs.

tthmaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 12:35 AM

Maybe i shouldn't do it this way, but anyway...

I have seen some have great experience and knowledge in the field of video gaming and would like to take this opportunity to invite you guys to post in my forums at www.consolewatcher.com/forums. Main website is www.consolewatcher.com.

It's a website dedicate to news and discussion of video game consoles. Maybe we can come up with some kind of partnership or ideas. I'm constantly looking for great people like you. If you think you can help (on anything!), please pm me.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 10:31 AM

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2.../kaigai276.htm

Sony says the PS3 is not a gaming console. It is a computer. For a computer of course the price of the PS3 doesn't look too bad now.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Jun 9, 2006 at 01:11 PM. )

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2.../kaigai276.htm

Sony says the PS3 is not a gaming console. It is a computer. For a computer of course the price of the PS3 doesn't look to bad now.
Too bad everyone has a computer already, so why would you want to buy another one, and one that doesn't do much other than game?

Sony either you shoveling some serious sh!t now, or your business plan is whacked.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Too bad everyone has a computer already, so why would you want to buy another one, and one that doesn't do much other than game?
Doesn't do much other than game? Are you kidding?

You do understand PC gamers drop $800 on JUST a video card without breaking a sweat or causing a 20 page discussion. And that is just in the name of framerates.

The PS3 will look better then almost any PC on the market and it does do a lot more than just games. Heck people will want it as a webTV type browser. I mean at the price it is at it is less than a mini and you can surf and send emails/IMs.

And again the Blu-ray is worth it alone.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2006, 01:05 PM

You do understand PC gamers drop $800 on JUST a video card without breaking a sweat or causing a 20 page discussion. And that is just in the name of framerates.

The PS3 will look better then almost any PC on the market and it does do a lot more than just games. Heck people will want it as a webTV type browser. I mean at the price it is at it is less than a mini and you can surf and send emails/IMs.

I don't actually know of a video card that is $800. There is a dual GPU card that might come close to $800, but that could easily out-power the PS3.

Also, the reason Sony is trying to get the PS3 categorized as a computer is because EU taxes on computers are cheaper than EU taxes on consoles. They recently filed with the EU saying it's a computer because it has a Basic interpreter that will ship with it in Europe. Wooo. I wonder how many Basic commands they implemented. Print?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 01:09 PM

Gimme a list, then.

The PS3 will look better then almost any PC on the market and it does do a lot more than just games.
For how long?

You might have me there. Depends how much Blu-ray titles are when they come out.
But then again, what's the point for the average person who doesn't own an HDTV?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 01:11 PM

Pretty much, they are labeling it as a computer to justify the high ass price tag. This is starting to look like a 3D0 flashback. 3D0 had a great system, priced it too high... died. Once the price got to normal, it was too late.

All in all, I like the PS3 a lot, just not for $599.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2006, 01:17 PM

Why would I care about a Bluray drive? What titles are there on Bluray I'd want to buy?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 01:35 PM

They recently filed with the EU saying it's a computer because it has a Basic interpreter that will ship with it in Europe. Wooo. I wonder how many Basic commands they implemented. Print?
I see you haven't touched YaBasic that shipped with the PS2..

Why would I care about a Bluray drive? What titles are there on Bluray I'd want to buy?
Besides the PS3 games library and upcoming movies in HD? I guess if you don't want either of these, then the BluRay drive is kinda useless. For everyone who plans to get a HD set within the next 6 years or so, the PS3 offers the best value

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 01:37 PM

I just can't count Nintendo out. I can't believe how many people I show the DS to fall in love with it. My wife, MY WIFE, now has her own DS and buys her own games. She doesn't like games. I still don't really believe it's true.

As far as PS3 goes... I used to be a big Sony fan, but $600? I'll pass, that's ridiculous.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2006, 01:54 PM

Besides the PS3 games library and upcoming movies in HD? I guess if you don't want either of these, then the BluRay drive is kinda useless. For everyone who plans to get a HD set within the next 6 years or so, the PS3 offers the best value
No. I haven't. I knew a guy who did programming on the PS2, who I talked about doing a game engine with, and he had never used YaBasic on the PS2 either.

What HD library? You're saying I should buy a PS3 for things that haven't even been announced yet? Even then all the titles I want are from HD-DVD only companies (Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Star Trek). I already covered the lack of nice upcoming games earlier in the thread.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2006, 01:59 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 02:02 PM

No. I haven't. I knew a guy who did programming on the PS2, who I talked about doing a game engine with, and he had never used YaBasic on the PS2 either.
Then Ch-Check it Out!

all the titles I want [...] Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Star Trek
No surprises there

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2006, 02:05 PM

Huh? Never heard of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules