Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Revert with Archive and Restore?

Revert with Archive and Restore?
zacharydz
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2005, 01:00 PM

I searched and all the topics dealt with how to do an archive and restore installation, but none said how to revert to the old system.

Im updated to 10.3.9 on my G4 800 iBook and now Menu Meters is showing that the CPU is running at 100%. It's been running at 100% for over a day (without any apps running) and the fan has been on constantly. (It's actually the first time I can think of that my fan has run for any significant periods of time...as such, I want to get my iBook back to its silent state)

It ran fine in 10.3.8. I actually did an archive and restore installation of Panther a few weeks ago when I was running 10.3.8. (I was trying to update the firmware on a MacAlly FW enclosure and it needed 10.3.5, but that didn't work ) But anyways, with the new installation I updated to 10.3.9, but the "previous system" is 10.3.8.

Is there a way to revert to the 10.3.8 system? I'm currently running 10.3.8 on a 30 Gb firewire drive and my internal drive is 60 Gb, so I think that rules out CC (and I also have stuff on the internal like all my iTunes music, etc).

I'm sure that just changing "previous systems" folder to "system" in the Finder would mess things up due to invisible files, permissions, etc.

Does anyone know how I could do this?

Thanks in advance
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 01:15 PM

AFAIK there is no easy way back, but have you tried to find out what is maxing out your CPU?

Have you tried to install the Combo update?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2005, 01:43 PM

I used the combo update originally. I fixed permissions before and after the update.

When Activity Monitor is the only running program, Finder is taking about 80-90% of my CPU. Activity Monitor was varying between 5-10%. But usually when something is stressing the CPU, it won't remain a constant 100, but might fluctuate in the 90s and hit 100, etc. With 10.3.9 it is ONLY 100%. I haven't even seen 99%. So I dont think its so much as one program using too much of the CPU as 10.3.9 just making the CPU run at 100% all the time.

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2005, 11:06 PM

eh, I just archived and restored it again...so I'm back to 10.3.8 and no fan. I figure I'll just wait and do a clean install of Tiger when the semester ends next month...don't want any funky behavior when writing term papers!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 11:59 PM

wow... that's weird...

Brass
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 01:29 AM

I don't think archive-and-install does provide any means of reverting to the previous system(s) other than doing an archive-and-install of the earlier version of the OS. The archived system files are useful if you want to copy any of them into the new system (eg, global fonts that you'd previously installed or global preference files).

Forum Links
Forum Rules