Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > how do delete duplicate items in iCal? (iPhone & Macs)

how do delete duplicate items in iCal? (iPhone & Macs)
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2009, 09:03 AM

Hi All,

Due to my various Macs losing their sync connection with .Mac/MobileMe a few times in the past (and, most recently, several times since updating them to OSX 10.5.7), I now have a lot of duplicate items in iCal (both on my Macs, online at MobileMe, and on my iPhone).

The strange thing is: my iPhone calendar has duplicates on it that my Macs and online MobileMe calendar don't? (even though they are sync'ing).

I've found a few programs that will delete duplicate items in iCal on my Macs, but can anyone guide me as to how I can delete duplicate entries on my iPhone? (I don't have any confidence that removing dupes on my Macs will solve the iPhone dupes, because, as I mentioned, the iPhone has dupes that the Macs, and my online MobileMe calendar, don't!).

Help?

Chas

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 11:13 AM

Once you have everything sorted out in iCal, make a copy (File....Backup iCal...), you can overwrite what's on your iPhone with what's in iCal by selecting the correct options in iTunes. Maybe that's the way to go.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2009, 12:10 PM

From http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...90617052238509, try

In iPhone settings (Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars/MobileMe)

- turn OFF "Calendars," wait and then select DELETE from my iPhone.
- Turn ON "Calendars," wait and then select MERGE

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by chasg View Post
The strange thing is: my iPhone calendar has duplicates on it that my Macs and online MobileMe calendar don't? (even though they are sync'ing).
With OS 3.0 there are two ways to have the same calendar on your iPhone. You can have it there via over the air synching via MobileMe AND you can also have it there through over USB synching via iTunes. When you hook up your iPhone to your computer next, check the settings for your calendar synching. I bet you are synching it via MobileMe and via iTunes. The result is the same calendar twice on your iPhone.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 02:57 PM

Btw, the way to fix this is to turn off the iTunes synching of that calendar and re-synch your phone! You don't have to delete anything in your calendar itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules