Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anybody get a "Shipping Notification" for a new BTO 15" yet?

Anybody get a "Shipping Notification" for a new BTO 15" yet?
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2010, 06:41 PM

Ordered one within hours of release. MBP 15.4/2.66/CTO w/ 8gig ram/i7/ 500/7200rpm drive/no-glare screen.
No sign it has even been produced yet as I still can cancel according to the order receipt.
Anyone have better luck?

Shows:
Ships: 2 - 4 Business days
Delivers: Apr 16 - Apr 22 But, doubt it will show tomorrow.........

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 03:41 AM

I ordered the 2.4ghz 15" with Hi-res/nonglare about 8 hours after the announcement. I got the same estimated ship and delivery times as you. If you had placed the same order today, the ship time is now down to 1-3 days. So ship at the latest by Tuesday and arrive no later than Friday. So I would assume we should definitely get ours no later than Thursday (as promised). At least the decrease in ship time indicates no shortages. I'll keep you posted.

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2010, 08:49 AM

Checked mine this morning. Status changed to "Prepared for Shipment." Can't cancel item at this point. So, it appears to have been built, but, has not yet shipped. Looking good though, Will update this as I find out more.....

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 09:57 AM

I just got the notice saying mine has shipped. Left FedEx origin facility, Shanghai, at 7:59 Shanghai time. That's 2 hours ago. Says it will be delivered on Thursday, April 22. Is that the usual length of time for FedEx from there?

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2010, 11:04 AM

I got the same notice, with same Shanghai departure time, but, with a delivery scheduled on April 21. I'm in NYC.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 01:54 PM

I'm in Hawaii which might explain the extra day.

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee View Post
I got the same notice, with same Shanghai departure time, but, with a delivery scheduled on April 21. I'm in NYC.
They just switched me to April 22! Must have had a late departure/or missed one from Shanghai.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2010, 06:59 PM

It arrived in Anchorage about 2 hours ago. Looking at past posts, it seems to me it will be here about Wednesday.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2010, 03:45 PM

Ordered mine last Tuesday. BTO 15in with Hi Res Screen.

Picked up from the factory in China on the 16th. Flew to Alaska yesterday. Is sitting in Nashville right now. ETA is the 20th for me in Milwaukee.

So much for me paying extra for 'fast' shipping.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 05:46 PM

Mine just left Memphis!

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 04:18 AM

And got to Honolulu about an hour ago. So it could be delivered to me in Maui tomorrow (Monday)!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 10:43 AM

Darn, mine says its on a truck in my county. Meaning I'll get it sometime today.

So much for Fedex's ETA. A day early is never a bad thing.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 01:38 PM

Same thing here, its in my county.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 04:36 PM

I got mine at around noon this morning. It took a couple hours for Migration Assistant to move everything over for me.

New "high res" screen is very nice. Very crisp. (Then again my old MBP was a matt screen and this is a glossy)

Much faster than before. iPhoto on my old 2007 MBP took more than a minute to open up and was sluggish at best, now it's open in five or six seconds and is snappy. Again, this could be the 4 gigs RAM vs the 2 gigs RAM dealing with the 30,000 photos I have in iPhoto.

But overall, awesome.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 01:07 AM

Mine was delivered by Fedex about 2:30 this afternoon. I stupidly forgot that the Firewire plug has been changed--I have a regular old Firewire cable. Does anyone know how much longer it takes to use Ethernet instead of Firewire to migrate everything over?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2010, 02:45 AM

Gigabit is actually a lot faster than FW400.

If you absolutely want to do it over FW you can get a FW80-FW400 cable for a few bucks though.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2010, 01:39 PM

I finally decided to bite the bullet and not use Migration Assistant. Reinstall everything from scratch. In the past, Migration Assistant has, overall, worked well for me, but not all software comes across. I've had trouble with Windows partitions in the past.

Also, there is a $10 adapter that lets you use your old Firewire cables with the new smaller plug.

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010, 03:49 PM

Whoops. Should have followed-up as I was the OP. Showed up Monday, the 19th early AM via Fed Ex. So, less than a week for my BTO from order to delivery. Not bad!

One thing. Migration Assistant is great. BUT...make sure you use it RIGHT AFTER you start-up at the FIRST OPPORTUNITY YOU ARE PRESENTED WITH A DIALOG BOX!!

If you decline the first opportunity wait and take time to install ILife or something else first you'll need to create new accounts when using Migration Assistant and that leads to a lot of hassles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules