Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac Boot Menu/System Setup

Mac Boot Menu/System Setup
cjay102
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2007, 04:20 PM

Is there a ay that you can access Mac setup while the computer is booting up? I'm trying to install another version of Mac OS on my PowerBook because it was given to me as a gift but I never got the password from the giver. It currently has Mac OS 9.1 installed and I'm trying to downgrade to Mac OS 7.5.3 and then update to maybe Mac OS X Tiger with a CD image I have download. If anyone knows how to access the Mac setup menu or boot menu, please let me know. Thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2007, 04:26 PM

Holding alt/option during boot will bring up the boot loader.

Cold Warrior
Oct 14, 2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjay102 View Post
I'm trying to downgrade to Mac OS 7.5.3 and then update to maybe Mac OS X Tiger with a CD image I have download
Enjoy your pirated copy of Tiger. If your Mac is old enough to run system 7, I doubt you'll maximize your Tiger experience.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2007, 04:28 PM

Any Mac capable of running 7.5.3 is not capable of running Tiger. The only boot menu available on Macs are the OS selector you can access by holding down the option key.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cjay102  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2007, 04:31 PM

...downgrading will be pointless if I'm understading correctly right? Well is there a way I cand purchase another Mac OS 9.1 cd from anyone or a store? And is the only way I can get around the password block is through another start up disk?

mfbernstein
Senior User
Oct 15, 2007, 05:30 PM

You can get older OSes from eBay or the like, but you'll have to make sure you're getting a full install disk, not one customized to a specific machine. What model PowerBook do you have?

Assuming your problem is an OS 9 password (not a firmware password), you can use follow these instructions once you have a boot disk. If your system supports OS 8.1, Apple has a downloadable floppy boot disk image, but you'll need a Mac to create the boot floppy.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2007, 05:55 PM

It was given to you as a gift, but you never got the password from the giver?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules