Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Shortcut key to browse pop up options?

Shortcut key to browse pop up options?
andytsui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2004, 08:39 AM

Is there any shortcut key when browsing pop up menu options?

Example:

When I press the Power Key the following options pop up:

Restart Sleep Cancel Shut Down

The active focus is on Shut Down, may I know what is the keyboard shortcut to move the active focus to another option?

Sorry for the stupid question, I am newbie to OSX

Andy

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 22, 2004, 04:40 PM

On the Mac, (without taking extra steps, as below) buttons never have focus -- the blue is the default button (not focus!), which is something that is defined by the application, not the user. The default button generally does not change within a dialog.

In this case, there are keyboard shortcuts: type R to restart, Esc to cancel, S to sleep, and of course Return or Enter to shut down.

Anyway, it is possible to create keyboard navigation of buttons in dialogs by checking the "Turn on Full Keyboard Access" checkbox in System Preferences->Keyboard and Mouse->Keyboard Shortcuts.

Focus, on the Mac, is shown by a fuzzy blue halo around the control in question -- the blue default throbbing will not move. Tab moves the focus.

tooki

P.S. What you are calling a "pop up menu" is a "dialog box". A pop up menu is an actual menu, but one that is not the menu bar, i.e. the menus on web pages, like the quick jump menu here on MacNN forums.

andytsui  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2004, 05:21 PM

Thanks a lot for your help!

Andy

Sydney Tsai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2004, 04:46 PM

use the full keyboard access

system prefernces -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard shortcuts.
sydtsai

Forum Links
Forum Rules