Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best Note App?

Best Note App?
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2007, 10:12 PM

Now Contacts? StickyBrain? Soho Notes? Omni Outliner? etc?

did anyone knows what's the best app out there for note taking and breinstorming?

I've been seeing a lot of this softwares but every one of them look the same to me...

anyone can tell me what's best?

thanx
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 10:38 PM

At This Particular Mac, Ted Goranson presents the most comprehensive series on outliners and related topics. Check out his many months of articles and reviews. He talks about software as well as concepts.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2007, 01:06 AM

Here's a quick idea for apple to fill this gap, anyone with a computer would love who needs to take notes:

Convert TextEditor into a simple but streamlined note taking app which also serves as a basic text editor for opening .txt files. Its new name would be simply Editor.

It would basically be Google Docs & Spreadsheets meets Preview meets note taking.

Some quick features:
  • Tabbed document viewing.
  • Opening and converting to .doc
  • Sort notes by date/or file hierarchy similar to iPhoto.
  • Can import notes directly from Mail.

seaj11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 09:43 AM

Depends on what you need. If you like wiki-style stuff, VoodooPad takes the cake. If you want to tag and categorize notes, then go with Journler.
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 01:41 PM

I just want a really simple note app, to replace Stickies (which can get a bit confusing if you have too many notes). I really like: myNotes | Mishimo but not so much that I would buy it. It actually seems like such a simple program I think it should be freeware.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2007, 03:38 PM

Ok, I bought SOHO Notes and let me tell you this is the BOMB! (to be realistic I've never use a note app before so obviously this will be the best lol) Anyway, I can surf and browse the net without any other browser just using the same app I can check the web, take notes, copy and paste whole documents and manage everything you can imagine! in fact remember that application "iClip" (a great app by the way) well... SOHO notes include an app exactly the same as part of it! OK, I will stop right now, this sound like a SPAM comment so, anyway I just wanna say that I find a Note App for my everyday tasks, (also I liked very much the one that seaj11 mentioned above called: Journler... it seems to be very cool too... and for the price tag Journler it's a better option. Damn! Why I didn't read this forum before buying SOHO!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2007, 03:59 PM

No offense to SOHO owners, and not to sound judgmental, but I have a hard time understanding why somebody would spend $40 on a note-taking app. There are so many free solutions available, writing text into a document is not that demanding of a computing task, IMHO.

Macanoid
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 05:11 PM

I suggest you take a look at Scrivener. It's a brand new application which you can think of a Yojimbo/Devonthink combined with OmniOutliner Pro. It has a great features and a great interface - especially the way it does full-screen writing is very cool.

romantikc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 06:01 PM

myNotes is really great. And it's not simple, it's just really easy to use. And it has some nice features no one else has: printable themes, Address Book integration...

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2007, 03:59 AM

I use both DevonNote (a cheap, slimmed down version of DevonThink) and Scrivener, and they're great, but maybe overkill for what you're looking for. Several forum-ites have recommended SideNote along with two free apps mentioned above: Journler and VooDooPad. I'd give those three a try.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 05:41 AM

Sidenote all the way I use it for short storage of info and things I need to get and do. I've got Sunbird as an agenda, but all the stuff that I can't put in there goes in sidenote.
Why is sidenote better than let's say Stickies? Because you can access sidenote all the time! No command+tab and command+h, it's just at the side of you screen and appears when you hover over it(think Expose). Really usefull app.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No offense to SOHO owners, and not to sound judgmental, but I have a hard time understanding why somebody would spend $40 on a note-taking app. There are so many free solutions available, writing text into a document is not that demanding of a computing task, IMHO.
If that was all it did, I would agree with you. But it does a whole lot more than just writing text documents...

Forum Links
Forum Rules