Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Switched from Netflix to Blockbuster online...anyone else?

Switched from Netflix to Blockbuster online...anyone else?
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 12:02 PM

I used to have netflix but I ended up getting so mad at them for the "throtling" of movies. I didn't rent "a lot" but I tried to get my money's worth and have as quick a turn around time as possible. Eventually they started slowing down and I wasn't getting the movies as quickly...I looked around on the internet back then and found out they had a policy to give movies quicker to people who rent less...WTF?

So I cancelled that, and jsut recenlty started with blockbuster online. First off, their turnaround time is incredible, send a movie back and within 2 days at most I have a new one.

But the best part is that instead of popping it in my mailbox, I can just take the dvd up to my local store and trade it in for a seperate dvd for free. So I really get double the movies for the same price.

Has anyone else used this service? So far, I have no complaints, which is really something coming from me because I can usually find faults in just about anything.

My advice: anyone who has netflix, switch to blockbuster online. Anyone who doesnt have either, but likes watching dvds, check out blockbuster online. Definetely worth it.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2007, 12:45 PM

Perfectly happy with my NetFlix service. Turnaround time is 2 days (mail Mon, they receive Tues and mail new one, I get new movie Wed.).

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 12:58 PM

Ok...but do you have a local blockbuster near your house?

Because although I didn't think I'd ever bring them back to the store (just figured I'd use it exactly like netflix) I've been using it a ton lately.
If I'm hanging out with some friends and we want to watch a movie, all we have to do is get one of my envelopes and take it right up to the store, trade it out, no charge. Then I get a movie in my hand (that I have to take back to the store within 2 weeks) and blockbuster sends the other one back through the mail.

That one bonus is where blockbuster is really screwing netflix...netflix just doesn't have the stores to be able to compete with that.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2007, 01:18 PM

I currently have 260 movies in queue and I never had a problem with them "throttling" the queue. They all arrived as expected. I've watched over 200 netflix DVDs/HDDVDs.

For what it's worth, I usually send DVD/HDDVD back around one-two days after I got it.

I couldn't be happier with Netflix. Love their web design, friend feature and ranking system. I first started with Blockbuster online for video rental but later switched to Netflix after encountering some frustration problems with them (poorly designed website for Mac, DVD usually arrive all cracked, etc.)

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 18, 2007, 05:38 PM

I have two friends that switched from netflix to blockbuster, then immediatly switched back after the grace period.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 18, 2007, 06:52 PM

The type of movies that I watch aren't in the Blockbuster stores so their enticement to return the movie to the store for another free rental makes no difference to me.

I've had Netflix since they started up years ago and have never had a problem. Even when I was an eight out at a time member and returning them the next day, I was never really throttled.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 07:03 PM

Well apparently I have had bad luck with netflix then. I loved it for about the first 2 months and then the last month or so I had it the turnaround time increased dramatically.

Hopefully the same won't happen with blockbuster in the future, as I have only had it for a month or so.

Cash, why did your friends switch back, any reasons?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2007, 07:29 PM

If you get a movie from the store, you still have to return it on time or pay a late fee. Me never returning movies on time is the reason I got Netflix.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 07:59 PM

I went from Blockbuster to Netflix, and couldn't be happier. Blockbuster sucked. They would always send them in different orders then I had them in my queue, which made watching whole seasons of TV shows pointless.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 08:10 PM

I switched from Netflix to Blockbuster because things stated to slow down on the turn around time. I also began to get my lower in popularity movies sooner and my popular movies would be delayed.

I love Blockbuster now, quick turnaround and I love being able to switch my movies out at the store. I can now get videos and games monthly too included for free. Not too bad.

The only negative to Blockbuster is the absolutely horrible website and recommendations.

Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 08:15 PM

Years ago I returned a movie to the wrong Blockbuster. I heard from them weeks later when they sent me a $60 late fee bill and told me to pickup the movie and return it to the correct location.

I will never step in one again...feels good.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 18, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Well apparently I have had bad luck with netflix then. I loved it for about the first 2 months and then the last month or so I had it the turnaround time increased dramatically.

Hopefully the same won't happen with blockbuster in the future, as I have only had it for a month or so.

Cash, why did your friends switch back, any reasons?
I think selection, and they just 'liked it better'. >shrug< I get all my movies at the library. It's free.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 08:32 PM

I'm happy with Netflix. The main reason I got them is because Blockbuster (physical stores) never had any of the DVDs I want. And of course it's a lot cheaper than renting from the store constantly. So switching wouldn't do me any good because I'd still have to wait for the movies to be mailed.

I too noticed that the first couple months of Netflix have fast turnarounds, then it slows down a little. I would think that Blockbuster does exactly the same though. It's not fair to say they're quicker if you haven't been with them more than a few months.

Call me vain but when I investigated Blockbuster's website to see what it was like compared to Netflix, I hated their website layout and it didn't display quite right in Safari. Well, screw them. Yes, I do judge businesses based on their websites.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 08:56 PM

I'm a Netflix subscriber since 2000. I still get 4 movies at a time for the same price other pay to get 3 because they grandfathered me into the current plan. No way am I cancelling. I get my movies with very little turn around time.

Cold Warrior
Feb 18, 2007, 08:57 PM

Blockbuster chain stores from my experience are usually out of the top 10 new releases. Only after many, many weeks on the shelves do they start to be readily available. However that's their business model and they will sink or swim off it.

I am glad Netflix is out there and if I watched a lot of movies, I would sign up.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2007, 09:16 PM

Blockbuster lost me long before Netflix ever came on the scene. To receive a call from a collection agency for a $3.00 bill was enough to put them on my 'I hope they all die in a fire' list.

Seriously, 3 dollars?

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2007, 09:50 PM

I considered changing to Blockbuster because it's impossible to receive a new release until at least a month after its release date. I've already dropped from 8 to 3 to 1 at-a-time levels because the throttling as gotten so bad. The only reason I'm sticking with Netflix is until I can evaluate the new streaming feature.

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 10:12 PM

How'd you get the Netflix streaming feature? I don't have that on my account.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 18, 2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Blockbuster lost me long before Netflix ever came on the scene. To receive a call from a collection agency for a $3.00 bill was enough to put them on my 'I hope they all die in a fire' list.

Seriously, 3 dollars?
The 3 dollars you owe them adds up to tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars that are owed. Lots of companies will do this to people who owe small amounts. It's pretty sucky to be sent to collections, but they want their money.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Feb 18, 2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
The 3 dollars you owe them adds up to tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars that are owed. Lots of companies will do this to people who owe small amounts. It's pretty sucky to be sent to collections, but they want their money.
Doesn't it cost more than $3.00 just to pay the people collecting that money? I can't believe they'd make money off of that proposition.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 12:33 AM

I'm a happy Nexflix fan.

The ONLY gotcha is... when I'm in high volume mode, they do throttle... but I have ~80 in my queue and I'm fine with any at the top. I find the people that hate Netflix are usually the people that absolutely must have the top movie in their queue.

I don't.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post

Seriously, 3 dollars?
FYI, most rental places make over 40% of their profits from late fees.

Crazy business... I've paid my fair share.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
If you get a movie from the store, you still have to return it on time or pay a late fee. Me never returning movies on time is the reason I got Netflix.
I guess I forgot to mention that the best part is blockbuster still has "no late fees." Anyone remember this promotion from when it started a year or so ago?

They stopped promoting it (because technically it's not true) but you can keep any movie 2 weeks, including new releases.

The "2 day rental" is just a suggestion, but blockbuster no longer charges until the 2 week mark, on all movies. Then, they bill you for the movie and you either keep it or return it to the store with a 10% restocking fee.

Also, unlike about 5 years ago (last time I had a membership) they actually called me before the 2 week deadline to remind me I had to turn in the movie by that Monday.

Originally Posted by euchomai View Post
I love Blockbuster now, quick turnaround and I love being able to switch my movies out at the store. I can now get videos and games monthly too included for free. Not too bad.

The only negative to Blockbuster is the absolutely horrible website and recommendations.
The video game part is pretty cool too, I forgot to mention it. Each month you get a printable coupon online that you can take into the store for either a movie or game rental (games do have late fees).

I guess the real comparison will be in a month or two when I can see whether or not they begin to throttle as well.

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2007, 12:57 AM

I tried the Netflix "watch now" streaming feature this afternoon and I was fairly impressed. While most of the movies available are on the older side, the streaming capability is only a supplement to the regular service, not an alternative to it. Hence, you get to stream movies on top of your regular plan at no extra charge. You get as many hours of streaming video as dollars you pay for service (e.g., $10/month plan = 10 hours worth of video).

The quality depends on your connection speed. With a good connection, you'll get near DVD quality. Its not bad, considering its free.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 01:09 AM

Just found this...

To all you netflix users, you might want to run by your local blockbuster this week:

Blockbuster Gives Netflix Renters Presidents' Day Pardon

Very cool.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 01:54 AM

NOPE.

Netflix website, my pals w/ memberships and their faithful speed is still the Winnah!

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
First off, their turnaround time is incredible, send a movie back and within 2 days at most I have a new one.

Funny thing is I had the same bad experience with blockbuster and switched to netflix.

My story:
for the first month and a half block buster was great I got movies in 2 days and doubled up...in fact sometimes they'd send extra movies so that I'd get 6 at a time when only paying for 3. However I started renting more and eventually it became I was only getting 2 movies a week.

I switched to netflix because I figured I'd just use the free trial but I ended up staying with them because online renting allows you to rent history and nature stuff thats not in stores. I plan on canceling membership this month and just going with Hollywood because then I can get movies whenever I want just by going in the store.

PSXBatou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 11:02 AM

I like the fact that i can take a movie to the store and get a new one for no charge. Their turnaround has been faster than Netflix, my only complaint is that they must not order too many Blu-Ray movies as they seem to be stuck in "wait" for ages before i get them, some go from long wait to coming soon, then back again. I like being able to get a free game every month with the coupon too, overall im pretty happy with Blockbuster and glad i switched from Netfilx.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 05:44 PM

blockbuster stole a good idea and made it their own...i dont use either, id rather walk the few minutes to my local video store and rent any flick i want for a buck, but if i had to...id choose netflix for having the idea first.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

NYK Ace
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 06:33 PM

ive had blockbuster online for about 6 months now, turn around for me is super fast when you take it back to the store. for example, i watched lost season 1 disk 4 from my online rental, took it back to the store before work at 9am and exchanged it for disk 5, the NEXT DAY in the mail disk 6 arrived. They ship from Rochester for me (which is only an hour away) but i was just amazed but how fast it is with in store exchange. plus i can rent xbox 360 games for free once per month and i am only on the "1 at a time $9.99/mo" plan. could not be happier

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2007, 07:19 PM

I have Netflix and since I am not a big movie renter I guess they do not throttle me often. One thing you can do is mail back several movies in one envelope. I've done that a few times.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2007, 07:56 PM

I switched to Blockbuster because I have two stores near by. It's awesome because the mail-in movies take about the same time as Netflix (2 days), but I can return my mail-ins immediately for 3 more movies at Blockbuster. Meanwhile, my mail-in movies are on their way out. By the time I'm done watching the instore movies, my mail-in movies are ready to be shipped out to me. So it's really like getting 6 movies instead of only 3.

Plus, once a week you get an additional free instore rental coupon, so that bumps it up to 7 movies for the price of 3 Netflix movies.

I like it. Plus it's a couple dollars cheaper than Netflix.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules