Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Real Reason for Leopard Delay

View Poll Results: Reason for Delay?
Poll Options:
Too buggy 40 votes (52.63%)
Redesign with iPhone goodies 13 votes (17.11%)
Jobs hasn't told designers what the secret features are yet 13 votes (17.11%)
Will first show us that 10.4.10 really does come after 10.4.9 10 votes (13.16%)
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll
Real Reason for Leopard Delay
kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2007, 10:55 PM

What do you think is the real reason for the delay? I am betting that they are adding new technologies/software discoveries from the iPhone.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2007, 12:53 AM

Where's the option for "Steve killed all the OS programmers in a fit of pique and now they need time to grow new ones in the lab"?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post
What do you think is the real reason for the delay? I am betting that they are adding new technologies/software discoveries from the iPhone.
I bet that they are actually doing tons of quality control on the iPhone. They can't afford to launch a buggy iPhone.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2007, 08:57 AM

I believe the real reason is that they pulled engineers from the OS team to finish the iPhone on time. That is I believe the published reports.

Why read more into this news story then there really is.
Michael

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 12:16 PM

You missed the option for "They really told the truth about using OS X programmers for the iPhone."

Think about it. THE IPHONE RUNS LEOPARD! Any improvements they make to the version of OS X on the iPhone will be a part of Leopard. This is not like the Apple TV that runs a version of 10.4.7.

arng1
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I believe the real reason is that they pulled engineers from the OS team to finish the iPhone on time. That is I believe the published reports.

Why read more into this news story then there really is.
Agreed...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 03:55 PM

I'm missing the option
• I don't dig conspiracy theories. And I'm not paranoid. Apple pulled resources to finish the iPhone properly by June.

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2007, 06:59 PM

Not trying for the conspiracy theory. It is all fun. (Especially the last 2 items...)

Anybody know how to edit a poll? I could add the stated Apple reason.

I still think this delay will be for the best regarding OS X, Apple and we the consumer.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
You missed the option for "They really told the truth about using OS X programmers for the iPhone."

Think about it. THE IPHONE RUNS LEOPARD! Any improvements they make to the version of OS X on the iPhone will be a part of Leopard. This is not like the Apple TV that runs a version of 10.4.7.
iPhone runs Tiger. - I can do that in capitals too if you like.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
iPhone runs Tiger. - I can do that in capitals too if you like.
iPhone has Core Animation, which is a Leopard technology.
Chuck
___

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 07:37 PM

I would venture to say that Apple is telling the truth.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
iPhone has Core Animation, which is a Leopard technology.
Ding!

The iPhone will run a version of Leopard.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2007, 02:14 PM

I voted that is was too buggy. I do believe the story from Apple that they pulled away OS X programmers to work on the iPhone. And also the general story that it is too buggy for release in June.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 02:34 PM

I voted for the 10.4.10 option, because I'd like to put the OS-versions-as-decimal-system thing to bed for once and for all. but I doubt we'll see another update to 10.4, anyway. FWIW, I don't doubt them on the iPhone thing. They NEED for that launch to go smoothly-- there's been a ton of hype.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
I voted for the 10.4.10 option, because I'd like to put the OS-versions-as-decimal-system thing to bed for once and for all. but I doubt we'll see another update to 10.4, anyway. FWIW, I don't doubt them on the iPhone thing. They NEED for that launch to go smoothly-- there's been a ton of hype.
I'd like to see 10.4.10, too, for the same reason.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 10:57 PM

What I don't understand about the whole ordeal, is why Apple will have a 'feature complete' release for developers in june and still need approx. 4 months to fix bugs and send out to manufacturing for release in October. Either apples dev. team is really really swamped, or during those 4 months a new GUI/TS Features will be developed because they don't depend on developer interaction.

It just seems odd. Apple is being either #1 FAR TOO secretive, or #2 they're telling the truth about everything, and this release is going to be sub-par, and not the 'Vista killer' we have all hoped for (Not that Tiger isn't great, but Vista has some more advanced features Apple needs to get up to par on).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
What I don't understand about the whole ordeal, is why Apple will have a 'feature complete' release for developers in june and still need approx. 4 months to fix bugs and send out to manufacturing for release in October. Either apples dev. team is really really swamped, or during those 4 months a new GUI/TS Features will be developed because they don't depend on developer interaction.

It just seems odd. Apple is being either #1 FAR TOO secretive, or #2 they're telling the truth about everything, and this release is going to be sub-par, and not the 'Vista killer' we have all hoped for (Not that Tiger isn't great, but Vista has some more advanced features Apple needs to get up to par on).
Wait, first you think they're devoting too much time, and then you say it's going to be subpar?
Chuck
___

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 10:02 AM

Wait, first you think they're devoting too much time, and then you say it's going to be subpar?
I'm saying that if what we see now in dev. seeds is what we are going to get, it's going to be sub-par. If they introduce these supposed top secret features during the extra 3-4 months after WWDC, then it may be well worth the wait. But like I said, if the TS features are being tacked on after WWDC, they must not need any developer interaction, which must mean a new GUI/Finder...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
I'm saying that if what we see now in dev. seeds is what we are going to get, it's going to be sub-par. If they introduce these supposed top secret features during the extra 3-4 months after WWDC, then it may be well worth the wait. But like I said, if the TS features are being tacked on after WWDC, they must not need any developer interaction, which must mean a new GUI/Finder...
What if they introduce the new features at WWDC, but then they need an extra couple of months for testing since they just introduced major new features?
Chuck
___

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 11:48 AM

What if they introduce the new features at WWDC, but then they need an extra couple of months for testing since they just introduced major new features?
That'd be fine then, it goes along with my saying:

during those 4 months a new GUI/TS Features will be developed because they don't depend on developer interaction.

runninkyle17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 11:52 PM

I doubt it was too buggy. Apple usually doesn't release betas unless they have a stable piece of software in the first place. I bet it is to promote the iPhone. When 10.5 comes out all the new people to the OS that don't have plans of getting an iPhone might want to go out and get one when they see what features are included in Leopard for the iPhone. Just a guess though!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post
I doubt it was too buggy. Apple usually doesn't release betas unless they have a stable piece of software in the first place.
Have you read any reports on Leopard?
Chuck
___

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2007, 02:57 AM

Why is it that every Joe Schmuck thinks he has to smell a conspiracy and believes Apple is bullshitting us about the Leopard delay?

If you care to read reports about recent Leopard builds you will notice that not one single developer believes the software is ready for show time. I understand that simple code testing and bug fixing is not as exciting as imagining some mysterious Steve intrigue, but please, which sounds more realistic?

Forum Links
Forum Rules