Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail spell checks too much

Mail spell checks too much
kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 09:28 PM

I have a friend who just switched to the Mac. His wife refuses to use Mail because of the spell checker. She prefers to spell check just before sending. However, instead of just spell checking what she is writing, Mail even spell checks the text from the previous sender she is replying to.

Anyone know a workaround for this? Otherwise, she is using Entourage. Which I guess ain't all bad...

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 09:39 PM

have her go to preferences... and click on composing. change "check spelling" to "when I click send." it will still check all the content of a message though.

-r.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 09:39 PM

Entourage is Satan's email program.

In Mail, go to Preferences and click the "Composing" tab. Check spelling "when I click send".

All will be good.

{Edit}
[rjenkinson beat me by nano-seconds!]

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 10:19 PM

She already did that. But like rjenkinson says, it checks all the content of the message, vs. just the text of her reply.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 10:49 PM

Why doesn't she just use "Check as you type". Unless she retypes the quoted text, it is not checked.

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 11:03 PM

That's what I told my friend to tell her cause that's what I use. I think it's just growing pains from only using Outlook and now using a Mac. Might take a little time. Their PC crapped out and on a lark, they bought a MacBook. While they love it, seems like they are still thinking in terms of how they used the PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules