Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Adobe CS5 - Yay?

Adobe CS5 - Yay?
andi*pandi
Apr 27, 2010, 01:56 PM

I think we need a thread devoted to the hotness that appears to be CS5. Photoshop in particular, I haven't checked it all out yet. My work is still "testing" CS4 so it will be years before we use it, and until I buy a new computer at home I'll be using CS2 and 3.

What about you? What features are you excited about? Will you upgrade or wait for magical CS6? Have you been burned by Adobe and only use Gimp?

Adobe Creative Suite 5 - CS5 OnDemand | Adobe TV

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2010, 02:08 PM

I'll know in a month or so. I'm still using CS3 just fine, but I have the opportunity to visit the Adobe employee store next month, so I'll be able to pick up a copy dirt cheap.

I skipped CS4 because CS5 is supposed to finally be 64-bit native on OS X.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 27, 2010, 05:10 PM

i'm excited about all the smart selecting/cloning in PS CS5. and i saw some nice things in Dreamweaver CS5 that might make me actually use that instead of a combination of Transmit/TextWrangler/CSSEdit.

but really, i'm just annoyed at how frequently these updates are coming out. i just upgraded a few machines at work to CS4 and now they're going to be pressing me for an even newer version. argh.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
i'm excited about all the smart selecting/cloning in PS CS5. and i saw some nice things in Dreamweaver CS5 that might make me actually use that instead of a combination of Transmit/TextWrangler/CSSEdit.

but really, i'm just annoyed at how frequently these updates are coming out. i just upgraded a few machines at work to CS4 and now they're going to be pressing me for an even newer version. argh.
Indeed. I bought CS4 a year ago with my MacBook Pro, now it'll be obsolete; my school only updated to CS4 after winter break. However, I am thankful for the new features that have been previewed thus far. Looks like a compelling update. I'll have to get it once it comes out next month.

Thorzdad
Apr 28, 2010, 07:08 AM

FWIW, ArsTechnica recently posted a review of Pshop CS5. Their overall impression is that it's a must-have upgrade. We'll see.

I hate to admit in public that I haven't upgraded past CS1. Nothing I do has ever required the added bells-and-whistles of the subsequent upgrades. The price tag on CS5 for me is real stumbling block, of course. That's not chump-change, even if it is a business expense.

I manage a couple of websites, so I'm very interested in the Dreamweaver upgrade. After that, I haven't seen much, personally, all that compelling. But, upgrading, for me, will be more of a "get yourself into the 21st century" move, more than anything. Afterall, I'm running CS1 on an Intel Mac. It's an...interesting...experience.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Apr 28, 2010, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the link, Thor... I wasn't ready to commit to the hour long Adobe video. Review looks good. Although, I'll never convince the big boss that we need it. CS3 for us.

Thorzdad
Apr 28, 2010, 11:02 AM

Does anyone know if you need an active net connection to run the apps? Do the apps phone home every time they launch? Has anyone run into glitches with authentication in? Etc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Does anyone know if you need an active net connection to run the apps? Do the apps phone home every time they launch? Has anyone run into glitches with authentication in? Etc.
You did in CS4, I'm assuming this would also be the case for CS5.

Some users reporting re-rerouting the connection to Adobe's servers using your /etc/hosts file, but I never got this working properly. You can probably also use Little Snitch to disable the phone home, although the phone home may be necessary for running updates and/or the initial install, this is the part I haven't figured out.

Thorzdad
Apr 28, 2010, 11:23 AM

Gotcha. Any idea if the apps send any extra identifying information beyond the serial numbers?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2010, 11:41 AM

I’m not yet sure if I’m really looking forward to the CS5 upgrade. I’ll definitely try the trial version, but thus far, CS4 does what I need it to just fine; I have no real impetus to upgrade, apart from feature lust.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Some users reporting re-rerouting the connection to Adobe's servers using your /etc/hosts file, but I never got this working properly. You can probably also use Little Snitch to disable the phone home, although the phone home may be necessary for running updates and/or the initial install, this is the part I haven't figured out.
It isn’t. I regularly run the CS4 apps in places where I have no Internet connection, and the phoning-home was quite unbearably bothersome, so I’m one of the people who have rerouted the Adobe servers to localhost. Works fine for me, and it updates just fine, too, without disabling the server rerouting.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It isn’t. I regularly run the CS4 apps in places where I have no Internet connection, and the phoning-home was quite unbearably bothersome, so I’m one of the people who have rerouted the Adobe servers to localhost. Works fine for me, and it updates just fine, too, without disabling the server rerouting.

Yeah, but what I'm not sure about is how serial numbers are checked. Something needs to confirm that your serial number is not already in use on more than two machines. I've had to call Adobe to have them undelegate retired machines. Tethering serial numbers to computers is a complete PITA.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yeah, but what I'm not sure about is how serial numbers are checked. Something needs to confirm that your serial number is not already in use on more than two machines. I've had to call Adobe to have them undelegate retired machines. Tethering serial numbers to computers is a complete PITA.
Sorry, I missed part of your previous post. I guess it probably is necessary for the initial install; but not for updating or using later on.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 28, 2010, 11:52 AM

i've blocked all access to activate.adobe.com (or something similar) while still allowing the updater domains to connect. it's unclear what precisely these servers send besides what versions i'm running.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Sorry, I missed part of your previous post. I guess it probably is necessary for the initial install; but not for updating or using later on.

Yeah, I guess so...

Of course, any update they issue can also change the hostnames names of the servers CS contacts too, there are no complete assurances.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2010, 12:57 PM

my work just got CS4 and has officially announced that they will not be doing the CS5 transition and instead waiting for CS6... [maybe it's just me but these releases are starting to feel like American Ninja sequels - only without the deep plots]

Honestly, I am looking forward to hearing about people's experiences - I am still using CS3, it's fine for most of what I need retouching, ActionScript, animation and some print layout (Can't really change that one too much - make box - drop in type, link image - :: baddabing-baddaboom :: off to the RIP)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'll know in a month or so. I'm still using CS3 just fine, but I have the opportunity to visit the Adobe employee store next month, so I'll be able to pick up a copy dirt cheap.
How much off of MSRP?.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2010, 05:08 PM

We'll be getting CS5 for the machines at work next week, I'll post my thoughts after I play with it a bit. Currently using CS3, and while I have no real reason to look forward to the upgrade, I am.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Apr 29, 2010, 06:52 PM

I just upgraded from CS3 about 4 months ago. If I knew it was this close I would've torrented CS4 and then bought CS5. But hindsight is 20/20.

The only thing I am really interested in though is PhotoShop and to see how DreamWeaver is.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
How much off of MSRP?.
About $1600 off for Design Premium. I'd never be able to afford it otherwise.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Thorzdad
Apr 30, 2010, 11:32 AM

$1,600 off ??? Yow! How 'bout some love for your pals?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 12:19 PM

Just installed CS5. Already leaving a really really bad taste in my mouth.

1) Does NOT uninstall any of your previous CS4 apps. You have to go an uninstall them all seperatelly before or after.
2) Does NOT import any of your brushes/tools etc.
3) Does NOT remember ANY of your settings from previous Photoshop. Colours/pallets/prefs anything.
4) Told the install NOT to install a bunch of the apps but it installed them partly anyway taking up lots of space.
5) The New icons are 2.5D and look ridiculous and out of place next to any other icon in the dock.
6) Up to CS4 Adobe still used the spinning watch from OS9 (not the spinning colour ball in OSX). Now they decided to replace it with that grey pin wheel from OSX startup routine which nobody has ever done.
7) The preferences are totally unhelpful and confusing. Someone want to tell me which setting to use here? How do I know if I am one of the lucky ones who will have "Visual Defects"?

8) the installer tries very hard to install Adobe Air and Adobe Media Player (worst app ever) at every turn.
9) the photoshop splash screen will make you think you had a stroke.
10) Installs Growl without ever asking you.

Now I get the pleasure of using it for a few days to see if it works any better than just the first impression.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; May 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 12:32 PM

Ok so I "Uninstalled" the CS4 apps using the Adobe Uninstaller AFTER installing CS5. Running Photoshop CS5 after that gives me this.

Thank god this crap company can't export native iPhone apps as they can't even seem to write their own apps to work properly.

Thorzdad
May 2, 2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the info, aS. Sounds like I might just uninstall everything Adobe before installing CS5. Provided I can find everything.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info, aS. Sounds like I might just uninstall everything Adobe before installing CS5. Provided I can find everything.
There is an uninstaller in the PS4 folder which should get everything.

Anyway, after that stint I re-installed PS again and it seems ok so far.

Thorzdad
May 2, 2010, 01:37 PM

Heh. I only wish I was on CS4. Let's just say I'm on a much earlier version.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 01:46 PM

Heh. I only wish I was on CS4. Let's just say I'm on a much earlier version.
God help you

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 02:23 PM

Well I took the plunge for CS5 Master Collection upgrade. A very large plunge, but so far worth it. Photoshop is a wonderful performer, quite smooth with very large files and tons of layers compared to CS4.

BTW, I got the same exact error as aS, after I uninstalled CS4. So I reinstalled Photoshop, no issue now. BUT, then I noticed that CS4 wasn't even uninstalled! The uninstaller apparently removed something, because it freed up 2 Gb, but I still had 8 Gb of Master Collection installed. WTF Adobe?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
8) the installer tries very hard to install Adobe Air and Adobe Media Player (worst app ever) at every turn.
10) Installs Growl without ever asking you.
Both of those really annoyed me. I just let it install everything. But I didn't notice that it installed Growl until you said something. I don't remember ever seeing anything about Growl in the installer?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Both of those really annoyed me. I just let it install everything. But I didn't notice that it installed Growl until you said something. I don't remember ever seeing anything about Growl in the installer?
It didn't ask you in the installer but it puts it there for sure. Anyone else get those phantom installs on stuff you de-selected?

I'm finding lots of non-standard "adobe Air app" looking UI elements and preference panels. It's like the damn things was written in Java or something

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2010, 03:13 PM

Yeah the UI is pretty incohesive between apps and even windows within the same apps. It does feel rather beta-ish. Luckily for me, with what I've used Photoshop and Illustrator for so far, performance is where it should be as well as functionality.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
About $1600 off for Design Premium. I'd never be able to afford it otherwise.
Yikes!!. My 15% off is laughable. The fact that it only applies to the North American online Adobe Store is ludicrous.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 2, 2010, 04:45 PM

I also love the way the keyboard shortcuts are also different for each app, STILL. Steve was totally off when he called Adobe "lazy".

Thorzdad
May 3, 2010, 10:43 AM

I just ran across this interesting thread in the Applications forum, and thought it would be a good addition to this discussion.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2010, 01:30 PM

Photoshop has crashed/quit on me twice and dreamweaver about 10 times.

Groan.

Thorzdad
May 12, 2010, 01:47 PM

That's not good news.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 12, 2010, 04:14 PM

great. and here i just ordered 4 copies.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 04:32 PM

I've had some stability issues with Photoshop as well. A few random crashes, and a couple of times I've quit the program and it hasn't asked if I wanted to save my work or not.

Thorzdad
May 12, 2010, 04:32 PM

aS...What's your setup? Can you pinpoint the causes of the crashes? Other than Adobe not being able to code their way out of a paper bag, of course.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2010, 08:15 PM

aS...What's your setup? Can you pinpoint the causes of the crashes? Other than Adobe not being able to code their way out of a paper bag, of course.
The crash in DW seems to happen in live view when changing code on the fly. I don't know the exact situation as there are 500 lines of code on this page. Either way, I had to stop using live view just to edit a certain area.

On another note... why..... in the name... of sweet baby Jesus... do we still need to restart Photoshop for some preference changes to take effect?!

Also, the Mini Bridge integration is a laugh as even if you aren't using it at the moment Bridge always has to be running in the background. Well thought out Adobe.

Also, I'm on the first Unibody MBP with video card on and 4 gigs of RAM. Anyone know what the best setting is for me if mostly doing web work with lots of undos and low res files?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 09:03 PM

Also, I'm on the first Unibody MBP with video card on and 4 gigs of RAM. Anyone know what the best setting is for me if mostly doing web work with lots of undos and low res files?
That's what I'm on as well... hrm...

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 13, 2010, 01:26 AM

Still on CS3, but considering the upgrade.

I'm on an older iMac, 2.1 gHz white 24" iMac, so I'm curious how well my GT7600 would do. Also, my maxed out RAM is only 3 Gb.

Thorzdad
May 13, 2010, 07:35 AM

Are you using an external HD as your scratch disc? Doing this will cure a world of sins in Photoshop, including a ton of crashes, hangs and slowness.

andi*pandi  (op)
May 13, 2010, 08:11 AM

Bridge has to run? Crap. I hate fricking Bridge.

Thorzdad
May 13, 2010, 08:18 AM

Agree about hating Bridge. I don't need it. Don't want it.
I'm beginning to think I should stick with CS1 under Rosetta

I did read one post in the Adobe forums where a user claims you can simply delete the folders containing Bridge, Mini-Bridge, and Air (apparently Adobe Air is installed, too) I would suggest merely moving the folders somewhere else first, of course.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; May 13, 2010 at 08:32 AM. )

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 13, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Don't you feel like Bridge was invented for idiots?? Hey Adobe, Don't insult A) my intelligence or B) my organizational skills. [shakes fist]

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
Don't you feel like Bridge was invented for idiots?? Hey Adobe, Don't insult A) my intelligence or B) my organizational skills. [shakes fist]
I think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen “[Adobe] Bridge” and “organizational skills” in the same sentence.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It isn't running for me. Hasn't even been opened yet.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 14, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It isn't running for me. Hasn't even been opened yet.
Launch mini bridge and it will launch Full bridge to run in background.

I spent 20 minutes trying to solve this issue last night with no success.

If you rotate the VIEW with the trackpad how do you reset it? IN CS4 there was a button on the top menubar in CS5 I can't find it. I am in "design" workspace.

I even searched the adobe help files with no answer.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 15, 2010, 01:46 PM

'R' or hold down on the hand tool.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 15, 2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
'R' or hold down on the hand tool.
Thanks.
R is for Retarded right?

How intuitive Adobe.