Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine?

Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine? (Page 2)
mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2010, 05:55 AM

When I enter time machine, I have three options:

1. look through files in finder

2. click cancel, returning me to my original current desktop.

3. click 'restore.' This takes me back to whatever date I want, but it will not tamper in anyway with my current desktop, say by writing over it with the old finder I clicked on, correct?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think you mean cpio?
I was thinking rsync with --link-dest.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I was thinking rsync with --link-dest.

Ahhh... I see.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
3. click 'restore.' This takes me back to whatever date I want, but it will not tamper in anyway with my current desktop, say by writing over it with the old finder I clicked on, correct?
Come on, it's a Mac, do you really need to ask this?
Here's how it works: if there is no file with the same name, it will copy the file you want to restore to its old location. If there is a file with the same name (e. g. a new version), then Time Machine will ask you which file to keep or whether you want to keep both.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2010, 11:55 AM

Where is a really good article to understand how to use Time Machine. I use it and SuperDuper. Don't understand TM. In SD, I find a file and drag it over. In TM, I have a difficult time finding the file much less knowing how to copy it over. The restore button, et al confuses me.

And SD has saved me more than once so its hard to forget that. Maybe I'm just stubborn...haha

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2010, 02:07 PM

What's to understand? TM's interface is the same as the Finder's for finding a file. If you want a file back from the backup, click on it and hit "Restore" and it copies back to your main boot disk. If you prefer dragging things over manually using the Finder, then just go to the backup drive and navigate to Backups.backupdb/your computer/Latest and drag stuff over to your heart's content.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Dec 5, 2010, 03:14 PM

… or if you prefer to access your files directly in the Finder, you can navigate to the appropriate point in time by hand. The file layout is exactly the same (save for the files that are excluded), so I don't understand what's hard here. Certainly it's as hard as navigating to the correct file on a clone.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
… or if you prefer to access your files directly in the Finder, you can navigate to the appropriate point in time by hand.
Coulda sworn I just said that.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post
Where is a really good article to understand how to use Time Machine. I use it and SuperDuper. Don't understand TM. In SD, I find a file and drag it over. In TM, I have a difficult time finding the file much less knowing how to copy it over. The restore button, et al confuses me.
Have your mother explain it to.

Seriously.

Time Machine is so brain-dead simply, if there's something you're not getting, it's because you refuse to just try it out (it's all completely self-explanatory), or because you're MASSIVELY overthinking things.

OreoCookie
Dec 5, 2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Coulda sworn I just said that.
Yup, but shouldn't important messages be repeated?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Have your mother explain it to.

Seriously.

Time Machine is so brain-dead simply, if there's something you're not getting, it's because you refuse to just try it out (it's all completely self-explanatory), or because you're MASSIVELY overthinking things.

TM counts on the user knowing the directory where the file was saved to though, which might be what he is getting at?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Yup, but shouldn't important messages be repeated?

I think so. Besson3c is, after all, the best person here, and frankly the best there is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
TM counts on the user knowing the directory where the file was saved to though, which might be what he is getting at?
It works for Spotlight and search windows, too.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2010, 05:38 AM

Time Machine is getting really slow in backups now. It used to take only a few minutes to backup anywhere from a few hundred mb's to a couple of gigabytes, or more.

Now, it's taking over half an hour for the same amount of data.

I have about 9 gb's free on my backup hard drive. Should I leave more space free? Is there some other possibility for the slowdown in backing up?

OreoCookie
Dec 18, 2010, 06:43 AM

The last few GB on a drive are the slowest. How much data do you have to back up? And how large is your backup drive?

Forum Links
Forum Rules