Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Killer Kim?

Killer Kim?
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2018, 01:45 AM

Anyone else think maybe Kim Jong Un has been inspired by Russia's poison antics and is planning to knock off Trump? Maybe he'll send a double thinking Trump won't notice the difference between one Korean with a bad haircut from another.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2018, 04:18 PM

Making Trump a Martyr ?

Even Fat Lil’ Kim is not dumb enough to do that.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2018, 04:36 PM

To what end?

Thorzdad
Mar 10, 2018, 05:57 PM

Kim isn’t going to do anything that would ruin his greatest photo-op evar. NK has been trying to get a meeting with an American president for decades, and Trump is going to give it to them. Then again, I remain to be convinced it’s even going to happen, especially given the short timeframe.

Part of me thinks this is Trump buying-in to his own marketing as a great negotiator, thinking he can stroll in and accomplish something the State Department (which he hates) hasn’t been able to.

If the meetup does happen, it will be interesting to see which of the two leaders tells the biggest lies about how it went.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2018, 07:19 PM

What little reporting I've seen says this is unilaterally Trump. I'm not well versed in strategy and protocol but the entire idea is apparently not sound diplomatic and negotiation tactics.

I like the idea of this, and it certainly beats the nuclear saber rattling. The amusing angle is NK is playing Trump for status and Trump is so agreeable and unreliable that they could get a deal that isn't worth squat (See: DACA deal with Schumer and Pelosi last fall).

Its such a confusing unfathomable jumble intersecting the depleted and marginalized State department, WH chaos, Trump unpredictability and showmanship, NK self-image, and god knows what else that it really hurts to try and analyze and forecast.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2018, 07:26 PM

State Department has no Rodman.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2018, 10:13 PM

Maybe he figures the rest of the world would thank him.

Doesn't a Martyr need a cause? Trump already won everything.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Anyone else think maybe Kim Jong Un has been inspired by Russia's poison antics and is planning to knock off Trump? Maybe he'll send a double thinking Trump won't notice the difference between one Korean with a bad haircut from another.
No.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2018, 07:15 AM

Maybe he figures the rest of the world would thank him.
So, you are basically projecting your own desires.

You want to kill a US president that you disagree with ?

You’re a piece of work.

-t

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
So, you are basically projecting your own desires.
Ah the classic conservative move of accusing someone else of doing something that you're actually doing while you accuse them. Without a hint of irony.
Aside from Putin and his guys, literally everyone else in the world hates Trump and thinks poorly of America for electing him. I'm pretty sure two thirds of Americans think so too. And we are discussing another egomaniacal tyrant who was exchanging threats and insults with Trump not so long ago. I have no need to project anything. Your assertion is a little preposterous.

You want to kill a US president that you disagree with ?
Firstly, I don't just disagree with him. Its not a question of his policies being slightly out of whack with what I consider to be correct or appropriate. I consider him to be a dangerous imbecile with literally no redeeming features or characteristics.

I don't want to want anyone dead but if he were to die I can't honestly say I would be even slightly sad about it. The world is better off without him. My preference would be to see him dragged off to jail kicking, screaming, crying, soling himself and showing everyone his true pathetic cowardly self. I don't think your country has the resolve to ever do that. At best he'll end up in some kind of luxury house arrest, still mooching off the US taxpayers.

You’re a piece of work.

-t
Did you lend CTP your login?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2018, 10:00 AM

Ah the classic conservative move of accusing someone else of doing something that you're actually doing while you accuse them. Without a hint of irony.
You don’t make any damn sense.
What am I projecting ?

YOU started the thread, started the idea that Kim might kill Trump, and that literally, the whole world agrees with you on that being a good idea.

Who are you to speak with such authority ?

-t

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2018, 11:14 AM

I suggested that a known enemy of the US and Trump personally, with fairly obvious personality defects of his own, if not full blown mental illness might be inspired after seeing the Russians poison multiple enemies of their own to take a crack at Trump. I'm surprised the US media hasn't suggested it tbh, wasn't so long ago that any time a car backfired in Bumf**k Arizona the local news would link it to Al Quaida or ISIS. Seems like it would be right up Alex Jones' street too.

I then suggested that he might believe that others would support him if he were to do so. Because most of the rational world really does hate Trump whether you have noticed it or not.

You were projecting that I endorse the assassination. I merely raised it as a possible intention of a long term enemy who has surprisingly suggested an unprecedented meeting completely out of the blue.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2018, 11:50 AM

Well, judging by the responses in this thread so far, nobody else seems to believe in this.

So there. We all must be projecting.

-t

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2018, 03:20 PM

Again, I don't necessarily believe it. I'm not sure I'd be too surprised if he tried it. I'm more surprised some paranoid fake news guy hasn't come up with it as far as I've seen.

If Alex Jones suggested it, would Trump get scared and call off the meet?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2018, 03:37 PM

You were projecting that I endorse the assassination. I merely raised it as a possible intention of a long term enemy who has surprisingly suggested an unprecedented meeting completely out of the blue.
While there was no endorsement, perhaps there was some indulgence in dark fantasy going on?

I don’t judge that, but I’m skeptical this exercise is meant solely as inquiry.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2018, 05:43 PM

I don’t think Kim Jong Un would be patently stupid enough to try to assassinate a sitting POTUS. It’s no secret that I can’t stand Trump’s racist and wholly unqualified ass. But if any foreign power tried to harm him then I’d support a full military response. Just on GP if nothing else.

OAW

OreoCookie
Mar 11, 2018, 08:05 PM

Making Trump a Martyr ?

Even Fat Lil’ Kim is not dumb enough to do that.
It has nothing to do with being dumb or so, just self-preservation. Kim Jong-un is not suicidal, he has consolidated power in North Korea and wants to stay in power. That's what the thousands of artillery pieces aimed at the South are for, that's what his (small, but existing) nuclear arsenal is for: stay in power. He has paid attention how Russia treated Ukraine (which once upon a time had the third-largest nuclear arsenal in the world, but gave it back to Russia in exchange for a promise of accepting Ukraine's borders as they are) and how the Trump administration treats Iran.

He doesn't want to kill Trump, he wants to be recognized by him (as a proxy for the US at large) as an equal at the negotiating table.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Mar 11, 2018, 08:09 PM

I suggested that a known enemy of the US and Trump personally, with fairly obvious personality defects of his own, if not full blown mental illness [...]
Mental illness?!? I have seen no sign of Kim Jong-un being mentally ill. Dictators need not be mentally ill in the clinical sense.
[...] might be inspired after seeing the Russians poison multiple enemies of their own to take a crack at Trump.
Russia can have people living abroad assassinated, because they can get away with it. I don't think they'd be able to poison Theresa May or another European leader without severe consequences, though. Russia tip toes the line — Putin isn't suicidal either.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2018, 05:36 AM

Ok, if not Kim Jong Un, what about one of his ambitious generals trying to frame him for it in order to get rid of him?

OreoCookie
Mar 12, 2018, 07:32 AM

Ok, if not Kim Jong Un, what about one of his ambitious generals trying to frame him for it in order to get rid of him?
Of course, I am not privy to the internal power dynamics of the North Korean regime. But I don't think it makes sense to assume that leaders (or wanna be leaders) of a dictatorship act in a way that actively endangers their self-preservation. That was the purpose of the whole nuclear weapons program: nobody can now simply strong arm North Korea into compliance. There will be no country that invades North Korea as they did in Iraq or Ukraine. The literal risk of millions dying would be too steep a price to pay even for e. g. China.

Kim Jong-un — just like his predecessors — wants to be taken seriously by the world community. And now as an atomic power they must be. That is completely logical.*

Much of the US political establishment does not want to accept this truth — North Korea has become a nuclear power, and the best outcome I can see is to reach a detente between China, North Korea, South Korea, the US and potentially Japan. If South Korea is smart, they will use the opportunity to open business relations with them and then slowly start a re-unification process this way. Nuclear demilitarization may be an option at the end of the re-unification, but I don't think it's a realistic option now.

* Needless to say, understanding someone or something is not the same as endorsing it.

andi*pandi
Mar 12, 2018, 02:11 PM

conspiracy theory: trump and kim are friends via dennis rodman, and they staged this twitter war to make themselves seem like rivals, just so Trump and Kim can have this summit, and Trump can be credited with solving the Korea problem.

I'm only half joking.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
State Department has no Rodman.
That’s what I said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules