Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > SIM card, Messages, Problems

SIM card, Messages, Problems
Thorzdad
Jun 14, 2021, 10:37 AM

Over the weekend, my wife's 6s started randomly failing to see her SIM card. Ejecting the card and reinserting it seemed to be the most reliable way to fix the issue. Mostly. Sometimes it took a couple of attempts, though.

In addition to the card issue, Messages has started sending texts from a secondary email address and not her phone number. Her texts now come through as a standard SMS message, and not as an iMessage. Her entry in my iPhone's Contacts list also no longer identifies her phone as an iPhone, so the option for FaceTime is not available.

When I checked her Messages setup, Messages was showing a spinning arrow where her phone number was, indicating it couldn't find/confirm the number at all, and the phone's number wasn't available as selection in the send/receive from... field. Rebooting the phone seemed to fix that, but the phone still doesn't identify as an iPhone and all texts are still standard SMS.

She can make and receive phone calls just fine.

Any ideas? Might this just be a wonky SIM card and a replacement will probably solve things? Or, is this likely something failing in the phone itself?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 14, 2021, 02:18 PM

Electronic contacts cleaner. Use on the SIM card contacts, and the slot contacts if possible. Erratic contacts could explain a lot. Switching the SIM card isn't too expensive either.

If neither works, your 6s is certainly out of warranty ... time for a new phone.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2021, 10:57 AM

the messages defaulting to email address is a symptom of the wonky sim card. It's how my daughter texted on a 4s before she had cell service.

that said messages does sometimes get confused as to which address is textable and which isn't. I run into that alot sending from desktop messages.

reader has a good point about cleaning the contacts etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules