Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will buying an Intel iMac make my peripherals useless?

Will buying an Intel iMac make my peripherals useless?
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2006, 03:47 AM

It's possible that this is more suited to the OS X forum, but since the iMac is the only Intel Mac that people actually have their hands on, I thought maybe someone would have some experience with regard to this issue.

It didn't occur to me at first, but it seems from what I'm reading that some devices that require the installation of third-party drivers will be made at least temporarily unusable if one switches to an Intel Mac. Things that have drivers included in the OS (like external hard disks, some kinds of printers, etc) should be OK, but I'm pretty worried about my peripherals. I have:

A Brother FAX-4100 combination fax machine and laser printer
A Canon CP-200 photo printer
A Canon CanoScan LiDE-30 scanner
A Griffin PowerMate

All of these work fine in OS X using the manufacturer's drivers, but will these drivers continue to function on the Intel iMac? If not, I imagine that new drivers will be released eventually, but this could put a crimp in my plans for getting a new iMac right away. I can live without the PowerMate for a while, and the scanner. But I use the printers pretty often.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2006, 05:51 AM

Well the PowerMate has a Preference Panel right? I think Apple said Rosetta won't run emulated Pref Panels so that's out for now.

Now I'm wondering myself about things like my Microsoft keyboard and mouse and Missing Sync for my Palm.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2006, 06:01 AM

I also forgot about USB overdrive for my mouse. I don't see any mention of the Intel macs on the USB overdrive site.

Oh, and my Macally keyboard also has a driver for its extra buttons (eject, volume, etc). This is more complicated than I thought.
( Last edited by icruise; Jan 16, 2006 at 07:24 AM. )

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2006, 07:44 AM

According to this page, Tiger comes with drivers for my Brother printer, so I'm assuming that this won't be an issue. I had to install a driver for it to work in Panther, though.

It also says that you can use Gimp Print for the Canon CP-200. Will that work for the Intel Macs as well?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 16, 2006, 03:47 PM

I would be distressed if I had to rely on the GIMP-print drivers and not ones from the manufacturer. I've had problems in the past (on PowerPC in Panther).

Count me in as concerned too, for:

M-Audio MIDIsport MIDI interface
Epson 1640SU Photo scanner
Canon LiDE 35 scanner
Canon i960 inkjet printer
Samsung ML-4600 laser printer

BTW, I've started a thread on this in the Peripherals forum here.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 16, 2006 at 03:55 PM. )

Fdanna
Jan 18, 2006, 01:36 PM

My canon Pixma 4000 works fine on the Intel mac with the built in driver. I didn't bother trying to install the canon one (if it ain't broke...). My epson scanner works fine too... no additional software required.

Summary:

Canon PIXMA w/OS X Tiger built-in driver = OK
Epson 610U Scanner w/OS X Tiger built-in driver = OK
( Last edited by Fdanna; Jan 19, 2006 at 09:17 AM. )

CalMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 03:17 PM

Hey...

Ya, I decided to brave the cold, and be an early adopter. And yes, much of my workflow has been hindered. I have a wireless bluetooth microsoft mouse and keyboard setup, which work, but most of the buttons on the keyboard do not work (xtra keys). It took me about a week, but I finally figured out how (through the system prefs) to switch my alt and windows keys, which had been a pain in the rump.

There's just a lot of little things that I hadn't considered when I purchased it, but I'm ok with now. I just can't wait until FCP comes out, so I can start editing on this monster... in native apps it does kick ass... but I'd suggest staying away from memory resident ppc apps, as they seem to just bogg the iMac down (like konfabulator).

hope this helps

CalMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 03:23 PM

-- duplicate post --

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by CalMatt
I just can't wait until FCP comes out, so I can start editing on this monster... in native apps it does kick ass... but I'd suggest staying away from memory resident ppc apps, as they seem to just bogg the iMac down (like konfabulator)
So even though they run fine through rosetta, they slow things down dramatically? Id be upgrading from a 1.25 Ghz pbook, so even with the slow down, it would still probably feel faster.
But I cant wait to see how FCP runs on them natively, thats the main reason I'm thinking about getting one.

JasonPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
A Canon CanoScan LiDE-30 scanner
I just downloaded the latest drivers on Canon's website (LiDE_7700MXEN.dmg) and installed them on my new MBP and the scanner works just fine. The buttons aren't working, but I haven't restarted yet so I'm guessing that's probably it. The canon tool kit thing works just fine. Scans, copies, just like on my other macs.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 02:02 AM

what about external hard drives? has anyone had those not work after the got an intel?

Ha Zaa! Elite Member now.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I also forgot about USB overdrive for my mouse. I don't see any mention of the Intel macs on the USB overdrive site.
From their website:
"The new Universal Binary version of the USB Overdrive fully supports Apple's new Intel-based machines."

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 25, 2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
what about external hard drives? has anyone had those not work after the got an intel?
Apple says they will work fine. If you plug in an external drive, it should work fine. However, you won't be able to boot off it until it has been reformatted.

ie.
An Intel Mac will read/write an external hard drive that was formatted on a PowerPC Mac.
An Intel Mac will NOT boot an external hard drive that was formatted on a PowerPC Mac.

P.S. Here is an Intel Mac peripheral compatibility thread.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 02:22 AM

thanks Eug Wanker

boojew
Apr 3, 2006, 02:33 PM

CANON PIXMA DRIVER QUESTION: I've a Canon Pixma IP 4000 printer. Is it possible to install the Power PC 2.62 driver or is just the Apple driver working?

Are all menus included? Duplex printing, cleaning menu, the menu to see how much ink is in the tanks? (Mea culpa, i don't know the exact english words for the menus)

Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 3, 2006, 05:24 PM

I have HAS to depend on GIMP drivers for MY Samsung ML-1430 laser printer-I am hoping the Intel based machines support the same protocols specifically because I want to use NATIVE drivers, not GIMP drivers that I have to fool around to find, install and tweak.

Holding my breath here...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules