Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > So where does discussion of Boot Camp go?

So where does discussion of Boot Camp go?
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 5, 2006, 09:08 PM

Since posts in the Mac OS X forum have been locked, is a special forum being prepared? I for one am chomping at the bit to discuss my experiences using it.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 10:12 PM

The special forum includes a new skin, right? Right? RIght? RIGht? RIGHt? RIGHT!

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 10:15 PM

i don't understand why we can't discuss in the OS X forum, it's part of OS X.

are we really gonna have a whole forum, just for bootcamp or is there gonna be a windows forum?

OS X forum seems like the obvious choice to me

at least let us discuss it there until you guys figure it out...
as ever,
sonny

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 5, 2006, 10:19 PM

Let's just put this in the OS X forum for now. Since it's going to be part of Leopard and it's not exactly a separate application, I think it's close enough.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 01:48 AM

But at the same time, that flies right in the face of the published function of the OS X forum being explicitly and exclusively for discussing the Mac OS X operating system, which Windows clearly does not belong to. Diagnosing Windows install issues is even more obviously not an OS X issue.

That's why I closed them, and left the one in the lounge, pending creation of a more appropriate location, which is in the works.

tooki

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
But at the same time, that flies right in the face of the published function of the OS X forum being explicitly and exclusively for discussing the Mac OS X operating system, which Windows clearly does not belong to. Diagnosing Windows install issues is even more obviously not an OS X issue.

That's why I closed them, and left the one in the lounge, pending creation of a more appropriate location, which is in the works.

tooki
maybe change it to just "OS" forum
as ever,
sonny

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 07:44 AM

But at the same time, that flies right in the face of the published function of the OS X forum being explicitly and exclusively for discussing the Mac OS X operating

tooki
Right but closing the threads w/o having a place for boot camp threads is wrong.
Its part of the OSX and it makes the logical sense be in that forum. It will be part of Leopard and it sits in the system preference panel. To me that sounds like OSX.

I'm not jazzed up about seeing a windows xp forum here at macnn but if your not wanting to see boot camp threads in osx create a windows xp forum then.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Right but closing the threads w/o having a place for boot camp threads is wrong.
Its part of the OSX and it makes the logical sense be in that forum. It will be part of Leopard and it sits in the system preference panel. To me that sounds like OSX.

I'm not jazzed up about seeing a windows xp forum here at macnn but if your not wanting to see boot camp threads in osx create a windows xp forum then.
if it's a windows xp forum, what about those that will install linux w/boot camp?
as ever,
sonny

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.
it belongs in the OS X forum, plain and simple. once leopard is released, using boot camp will be as much a feature of the OS as using disk utility is now.

-r.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 11:19 AM

How about creating a Windows on Mac forum or something?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson
it belongs in the OS X forum, plain and simple. once leopard is released, using boot camp will be as much a feature of the OS as using disk utility is now.

-r.
But when Boot Camp is running, OS X is not. It's clearly not OS X, and the OS X forum certainly is not the place to discuss Windows issues. Even if you can run Windows on a Mac now, this is a Mac forum, not Windows.

Anyway, as I have posted now four times, including the sticky announcement: a solution is in the works.

tooki

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 11:26 PM

Windows on Mac forum - several of the other forums have a similar section.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 8, 2006, 12:35 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that it's bizarro that Boot Camp is relegated (so far) to the Off Topic forum. I thought that was just for posts about cheese and Hollywood stars.

Looking forward to the in-the-works solution...

techtrucker
Senior User
Apr 8, 2006, 08:20 AM

I agree with Tooki, I don't want to see the OS X forum cluttered up with Boot Camp/Windows Issues. Hopefully the solution is coming soon, this topic will likely be even more debated than the Intel switch.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 02:02 PM

I say create a "Virtualization & Other Operating Systems" forum for Bootcamp and the slew of emulators that are going to come out for running Windows & Linux on a Mac.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 12, 2006, 12:41 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules