Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Top 10 Reasons College Students Are Buying MacBooks (Not Dells)

Top 10 Reasons College Students Are Buying MacBooks (Not Dells)
marden
Baninated
Mar 23, 2007, 10:45 AM

Top 10 Reasons College Students Are Buying MacBooks (Not Dells)

Published on Friday March 16th , 2007

by Eric Hebert
http://www.jobprofiles.org/library/s...g-macbooks.htm

Save this for the next time someone asks what they should say to defend their Apple purchase or asks why they should switch or etc.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 23, 2007, 10:59 AM

in my ID class I think like 3-4 people have macbooks, out of about 30 some people.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 06:31 AM

That was one badly researched article. Basically repeating himself and a whole point about the "security by obscurity" myth? *sigh*

I won't be pointing anyone near that article. Didn't even have comments so people could correct him. Cowardly.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2007, 08:19 AM

"Those neat commercials"

Jeez.

macroy
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 09:07 AM

I'm starting to get annoyed with the "younger brother" syndrome with Mac users. Yes - I am big Mac fan. But the whole "switcher" mentality is starting to get old. Someone asked a really good question recently - why is it that Mac users HAVE to act like a religious cult trying to recruit people every time a Mac and a PC is put next to each other? I know people also knock Mac's ... but that's usually as a response to "Hey my Mac is better than your PC because....."

Bottom line, both work fine. And they each do something the other does not.... plain and simple. Use what work for you, and be happy with it.

BTW - Why is he going after Dell? I thought Dell has been losing market to HP?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 10:26 AM

Reason number 11: That Intel GMA950 is so great. Oh wait.. no, the other thing.. godawful.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Reason number 11: That Intel GMA950 is so great. Oh wait.. no, the other thing.. godawful.

V
It's fine for average people.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
And more than acceptable for light use professionals. I might be inclined to say "zippy".

I am running a successful photography business with my 1st gen. MacBook. I will admit Aperture is a bit flakey, but I don't use it that often and PS CS3 is nice and "snappy".

Alas, I have seen very few MacBooks on campus. I do see quite a few iBooks and MacBook Pros.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2007, 05:15 PM

Well, yes and no.

Some students I see in the store get turned off by it, because it's so crappy for games. And yes, lots of students love games, even if they aren't hardcore gamer geeks.

It's too bad, since some of them end up getting nothing, because the MacBook Pros are too expensive. It's a humungous jump going from a $1199 MacBook to a (heavier) $1799 MacBook Pro.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, yes and no.

Some students I see in the store get turned off by it, because it's so crappy for games. And yes, lots of students love games, even if they aren't hardcore gamer geeks.

It's too bad, since some of them end up getting nothing, because the MacBook Pros are too expensive. It's a humungous jump going from a $1199 MacBook to a (heavier) $1799 MacBook Pro.
Meh...it's fine for WoW and "average" people don't want to play Quake 4 or F.E.A.R.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 09:03 PM

Meh...it's fine for WoW and "average" people don't want to play Quake 4 or F.E.A.R.
Students don't want to play the Q4? Uuhuh.

What color is the sky in your world. It's usually blue in mine and there GMA950 sucks balls. Heftiliy. The only people who think the GMA series are 'ok' or 'good enough' and will stand up and actually *say* it too are Mac fanatics - the moment that piece of turd was installed in Macs.

It doesn't matter that it is in Macs. It still is the worst GPU money can buy. It is fine for people like my father who has an iMac terminal in his medical office. That's what it is for.

Not normal people. They actually want to do something with their machines other than run Word. Or are you and the rest of the zombie fanatics going to tell me collage students don't like games?

Sheesh.

V

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2007, 09:42 PM

What color is the sky in your world. It's usually blue in mine and there GMA950 sucks balls. Heftiliy. The only people who think the GMA series are 'ok' or 'good enough' and will stand up and actually *say* it too are Mac fanatics - the moment that piece of turd was installed in Macs.

It doesn't matter that it is in Macs. It still is the worst GPU money can buy. It is fine for people like my father who has an iMac terminal in his medical office. That's what it is for.

Not normal people. They actually want to do something with their machines other than run Word. Or are you and the rest of the zombie fanatics going to tell me collage students don't like games?

Sheesh.

V
For such a heretical video card, they sure do sell a ton of them!

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2007, 09:50 PM

Agreed. 99% of the college students I know who play video games use consoles almost exclusively. Teh only games they are playing on their PCs are online flash games or games requiring extremely high end video cards that aren't even supported by any Apple computer.

Flashbang
Baninated
Mar 24, 2007, 10:06 PM

I know! Only dorks play that. Second Life is the shizzzit!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
And more than acceptable for light use professionals. I might be inclined to say "zippy".

I am running a successful photography business with my 1st gen. MacBook. I will admit Aperture is a bit flakey, but I don't use it that often and PS CS3 is nice and "snappy".

Alas, I have seen very few MacBooks on campus. I do see quite a few iBooks and MacBook Pros.
I 100% agree. The MacBook that I use at home buries my old G5 iMac. Without even trying. I use Lightroom instead of Aperture and it is fast, reliable and very, very user friendly.

PS CS3? It's not even out yet, unless you're using a cracked beta.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2007, 11:59 PM

For such a heretical video card, they sure do sell a ton of them!
They sell a lot of PCs with Windows. Sure doesn't make Windows good software!

I see students buy portables with real graphics cards. The sheeple go for the GMA. And become disappointed when they discover their computer is crap.

V

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 12:06 AM

The MacBooks aren't 'crap'. Far from it. For the money, they are perfectly capable.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2007, 12:27 AM

Students buy portables with real graphics cards. The sheeple go for the GMA. And become disappointed when they discover their computer is crap.

V
Dude, you're spouting retarded nonsense, sorry. Sheeple? pfft.

No one's said it, and maybe my world is different, but NO college kids I've EVER known are into PC gaming. They use consoles if they're playing games, as did I.

My friend just got a refurb black C2D on my suggestion. She loves it. The graphics card will never be a problem for her. Adobe apps, iTunes, Safari, Word, DVD watching, CD burning etc. She's in college. She doesn't game.

Every college living quarters I've ever entered had a console game sitting in the living room.

(thinking more about it, I guess I knew a couple of dudes who played some PC games. They had huge fast rigs with big ass monitors. They wouldn't get a freakin' MacBook for such tasks I'd imagine)
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
No one's said it..<snip>

or maybe Railroader said it.
ice

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 12:34 AM

Dude, you're spouting retarded nonsense, sorry. Sheeple? pfft.

No one's said it, and maybe my world is different, but NO college kids I've EVER known are into PC gaming. They use consoles if they're playing games, as did I.

My friend just got a refurb black C2D on my suggestion. She loves it. The graphics card will never be a problem for her. Adobe apps, iTunes, Safari, Word, DVD watching, CD burning etc. She's in college. She doesn't game.

Every college living quarters I've ever entered had a console game sitting in the living room.

(thinking more about it, I guess I knew a couple of dudes who played some PC games. They had huge fast rigs with big ass monitors. They wouldn't get a freakin' MacBook for such tasks I'd imagine)
Ah yes, the standard issue zealot reply. You probably don't even realize the sad fact, that while you're apologizing and making up 'supposed' target groups for the lame crap 'graphics card' called the GMA950, I'm just offeringteh truth about the GMA. Not imagined target groups.

The facts are in: The GMA950 sucks rocks and people agree on that. Mac-zealots come up with nonsense like value for money or that people supposedly only use consoles for gaming.. but that doesn't change anything.

You don't realize this, do you? The GMA *still* sucks. Even after the half-brained attempt at defending it.

V

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 01:04 AM

Agreed. 99% of the college students I know who play video games use consoles almost exclusively. Teh only games they are playing on their PCs are online flash games or games requiring extremely high end video cards that aren't even supported by any Apple computer.
80% of the college students I know who play video games don't even own consoles.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 01:28 AM

What color is the sky in your world?

V
Dude, I don't know about you, but in college I had other priorities, like getting drunk and having sex. Neither of those required a good video card.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2007, 01:40 AM

80% of the college students I know who play video games don't even own consoles.

then I guess it comes down to who knows more people.

Don Pickett says it absolutely best of all though. Nerds seem to have different priorities.
ice

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 01:53 AM

You obviously hang out with nerds.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You obviously hang out with nerds.
Perhaps, but I don't hang out with college students.

I know many college students through family, friends, and work though. Some who play games have consoles, but many just have one room which includes their TV and a computer (usually a laptop).

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 02:01 AM

then I guess it comes down to who knows more people.

Don Pickett says it absolutely best of all though. Nerds seem to have different priorities.
I knew a pretty wide group of people at college, from nerds to drug dealers and just about everyone else in between. The prime video game players seemed to be the nerds, but they weren't a majority of the population. But even if your college social pursuits weren't as stereotypical as mine, most people seemed to do communal stuff: hanging out, eating, going to shows, watching movies, etc. So, in all that, while there was some video game playing it didn't seem to be the most important thing to be done. Even the nerds seemed to want to do other things than play video games all the time.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2007, 03:11 AM

but not voodoo. he's crazy video gamin
ice

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Dude, I don't know about you, but in college I had other priorities, like getting drunk and having sex. Neither of those required a good video card.
I was studying in college. Drinking and having sex, that was highschool.

Again you are like the rest making up an imagined target group. Meanwhile the GMA950 still sucks.

V

hayesk
Mar 25, 2007, 11:06 AM

I was studying in college. Drinking and having sex, that was highschool.

Again you are like the rest making up an imagined target group. Meanwhile the GMA950 still sucks.
I'd have to agree with the others. Computer gaming is the minority. Most college students use their computers to type papers, do research, surf the web, watch video, and send email. The GMA950 may suck, but it's irrlevant to most people.

hayesk
Mar 25, 2007, 11:09 AM

Funny, none of those ten reasons are why I use a Mac.

Good UI, productivity, and stability are the top 3 reasons I use a Mac.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I'd have to agree with the others. Computer gaming is the minority. Most college students use their computers to type papers, do research, surf the web, watch video, and send email. The GMA950 may suck, but it's irrlevant to most people.
I agree it's irrelevant for many. However, Mac zealots tend to use this argument to say that anyone complaining about GMA 950 must be out-to-lunch. There are many people who would pay extra to get something better in the MacBook, but who won't buy a MacBook Pro, even if they are in the minority.

BTW, I used to say the exact same thing about the iMac. I HATED the 5200 Ultra in the iMac and refused to buy it specifically because of that. People said I should just deal with it and get the 5200 Ultra iMac or just get the Power Mac. I said screw that. I wasn't gonna drop that kind of coin on a crippled iMac, and I definitely wasn't going to spend a big chunk more on the Power Mac for a form factor I don't even like.

Guess what? They updated the GPU the next time around and then I pulled out my credit card. And even better, Apple started offering GPU options in the iMac later on. Also, it turns out that the 5200 Ultra machines are shunned by some Apple apps. That small GPU difference effectively made the slightly older iMac obsolete for many people.

One can only hope that Apple will do something similar with the MacBook. Instead of offering two identical machines for different prices just basesd on the colour, perhaps Apple will offer a model with a better GPU for that price.

hayesk
Mar 25, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Someone asked a really good question recently - why is it that Mac users HAVE to act like a religious cult trying to recruit people every time a Mac and a PC is put next to each other? I know people also knock Mac's ... but that's usually as a response to "Hey my Mac is better than your PC because....."
Most Mac users do not act like they are in a religious cult, but you don't hear about them because they don't speak up. You probably walk by several Mac users everytime you go in a computer store, but you wouldn't know it. If a Toyota driver came up to me and said "Your Honda sucks, you should get a Toyota" I wouldn't assume all or even most Toyota drivers acted like they were in a cult. So why, on the basis of a few obnoxious Mac users, would one think it's the majority?

I've noticed a lot of MSCE-trained IT staff love to spread untruths about the Mac platform - but I don't take that and assume every PC user is an obnoxious jerk.

However, when in the presence of disseminated lies and myths about the Mac platform, it'll probably draw out a few more Mac users, but that's natural. People explicitly chose a Mac over a PC, and they want to see the platform flourish. Why should they tolerate lies and myths? If I'm in a conversation where someone is lying or spreading myths about the Mac platform, I'll correct them. But I won't go following people around in computer stores telling them to buy a Mac. That's just rude.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Most Mac users do not act like they are in a religious cult, but you don't hear about them because they don't speak up. You probably walk by several Mac users everytime you go in a computer store, but you wouldn't know it. If a Toyota driver came up to me and said "Your Honda sucks, you should get a Toyota" I wouldn't assume all or even most Toyota drivers acted like they were in a cult. So why, on the basis of a few obnoxious Mac users, would one think it's the majority?

I've noticed a lot of MSCE-trained IT staff love to spread untruths about the Mac platform - but I don't take that and assume every PC user is an obnoxious jerk.

However, when in the presence of disseminated lies and myths about the Mac platform, it'll probably draw out a few more Mac users, but that's natural. People explicitly chose a Mac over a PC, and they want to see the platform flourish. Why should they tolerate lies and myths? If I'm in a conversation where someone is lying or spreading myths about the Mac platform, I'll correct them. But I won't go following people around in computer stores telling them to buy a Mac. That's just rude.
This guy knows what he is talking about!

-Owl

hayesk
Mar 25, 2007, 12:56 PM

I agree it's irrelevant for many. However, Mac zealots tend to use this argument to say that anyone complaining about GMA 950 must be out-to-lunch.
I agree. Lots of people can complain about the graphics card - it sucks for gaming and if you like to play games, it's a perfectly legitimate complaint. I'm merely commenting on the subject of the article - a general use laptop for college students - of which most would never exceed the capabilities of the video card.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 25, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
PS CS3? It's not even out yet, unless you're using a cracked beta.
Sorry, yes it is beta. The beta still works perfectly from Adobe, no need to crack it.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 03:29 PM

V
I'm not making up an imagined target group. I'm talking about my experiences in college. My younger brother is about to graduate from law school. For most of his combined undergrad/law school experience he used the same 12-inch Powerbook G4. In all of the times I helped him with the machine (which was a lot, as he's one of those people who could break a brick) playing games was never an issue, because he didn't use his machine for that. So, while the GMA950 may suck, it's a moot point, as most college kids (in my experience) don't get their machine primarily to play games. They're doing other things in college: social things.

My first Intel-powered Mac will be a MacBook, with the 950, because the machine isn't for games. It's for work, and it's fine for that. I could really care less what graphics chip it has.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2007, 04:13 PM

Ah yes, the standard issue zealot reply. You probably don't even realize the sad fact, that while you're apologizing and making up 'supposed' target groups for the lame crap 'graphics card' called the GMA950, I'm just offeringteh truth about the GMA. Not imagined target groups.

The facts are in: The GMA950 sucks rocks and people agree on that. Mac-zealots come up with nonsense like value for money or that people supposedly only use consoles for gaming.. but that doesn't change anything.

You don't realize this, do you? The GMA *still* sucks. Even after the half-brained attempt at defending it.

V

The facts are in: The GMA950 sucks rocks for hardcore gamers and people agree on that. Anti-GMA-zealots come up with nonsense like OMG EVERYONE NEEDS AN AWESOME GRAPHICS CARD LOL.. but that doesn't change anything.

You don't realize this, do you? The GMA *still* sucks for hardcore gamers, but it's fine for most people. Even after the half-brained attempt at defending it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 04:26 PM

Please tell me which of the following tasks the GMA950 is inadequate for:
  • Browsing the Web in Safari
  • Writing papers in Microsoft Word
  • Listening to music in iTunes
  • Doing light photo retouching in Photoshop
  • Editing digital video in iMovie
  • Making music in GarageBand
  • Programming C++

This is actually a compilation of basic student needs from several majors — more than the average student will probably want to do — and the GMA950 can keep up with all of them. You can't say a piece of equipment objectively sucks, just that it sucks for a particular purpose or set of purposes. For some purposes, more power than the GMA950 is basically overkill.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Mar 25, 2007, 09:38 PM

Please tell me which of the following tasks the GMA950 is inadequate for:[LIST]...[*]Doing light photo retouching in Photoshop...
Actually, even for power-users it is quite nice. I edit the majority of my files in RAW format and my MacBook never bogs down. Even when I am using PS CS3 Bridge (beta ) and modifying multiple files at once.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 10:59 AM

Actually, even for power-users it is quite nice. I edit the majority of my files in RAW format and my MacBook never bogs down. Even when I am using PS CS3 Bridge (beta ) and modifying multiple files at once.
RAW processing is CPU based. In fact, this is even true in Aperture AFAIK (although Aperture needs a strong GPU for other reasons).

Ironically, for many power users, GMA 950 is just fine. Photoshop jockeys do not need a heavy duty GPU. This is in contrast to some students. IOW, arguably, many consumers need a moderately OK GPU more than many pros. GMA 950 is not a moderately OK GPU.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:05 PM

When you get to college, it's not about computer gaming. It's the frat guys running up and down the hallways, screaming and banging on doors when they kill someone on Halo. It's 90% xBox.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
When you get to college, it's not about computer gaming. It's the frat guys running up and down the hallways, screaming and banging on doors when they kill someone on Halo. It's 90% xBox.
Well, none of the kids in university I know live in a frat, or even a dorm for that matter.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:13 PM

I work at a college. I have many friends and relatives in university or recently out. In my experience, aside from WOW, video gaming = Xbox.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:18 PM

I work at a college. I have many friends and relatives in university or recently out. In my experience, aside from WOW, video gaming = Xbox.
Indeed, and even WoW on the MacBook isn't very good, according to reports. It's passable, but not good.

P.S. Re: Xbox - Not everyone lives in the US.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:24 PM

Indeed, and even WoW on the MacBook isn't very good, according to reports. It's passable, but not good.
Eh, it's as good as my PowerBook with a proper graphics card, from what I hear. Which admittedly is not that good.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:31 PM

Eh, it's as good as my PowerBook with a proper graphics card, from what I hear. Which admittedly is not that good.
Yeah. Recent PowerBooks had lousy CPUs, and MacBooks have lousy GPUs. It's more acceptable for the latter though, since MacBooks have great CPUs, and are a heluvalot cheaper.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 26, 2007, 03:50 PM

RAW processing is CPU based. In fact, this is even true in Aperture AFAIK (although Aperture needs a strong GPU for other reasons).

Ironically, for many power users, GMA 950 is just fine. Photoshop jockeys do not need a heavy duty GPU. This is in contrast to some students. IOW, arguably, many consumers need a moderately OK GPU more than many pros. GMA 950 is not a moderately OK GPU.
Uhhh.... that's exactly my point regarding PS and MacBooks.

I disagree with you about consumers and GPU usage in a mac. The only time I hear anyone complain about Macs being bad for games is on here from a few adamant posters. Most consumers play graphic intensive games on consoles.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:51 PM

Uhhh.... that's exactly my point regarding PS and MacBooks.

I disagree with you about consumers and GPU usage in a mac. The only time I hear anyone complain about Macs being bad for games is on here from a few adamant posters. Most consumers play graphic intensive games on consoles.
I've seen several students at the store turn away from the MacBook now, specifically because of the GPU.

One I saw ended up getting an iMac (good for Apple). Others ended up getting nothing (bad for Apple).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 04:02 PM

I've seen several students at the store turn away from the MacBook now, specifically because of the GPU.
I've seen several students take their laptops into a hot tub. I don't think that suggests they really need to be made waterproof, though.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Mar 26, 2007, 07:39 PM

One I saw ended up getting an iMac (good for Apple). Others ended up getting nothing (bad for Apple).
Are you saying they showed up to the Apple Store, looked at the displays, and were talked out of it by a salesperson?!? They actually went to the store, with knowledge about the product, and wanting to buy one, and someone told them while they were in the store that they thought the GPU sucked?!?!

That sales person needs to be fired ASAP!

Forum Links
Forum Rules