Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What the hell?!

What the hell?!
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 17, 2010, 01:27 PM

Like, I am all for freedom to do what you want to/with your body (what with piercings and tattoos and whatnot), but seriously?!

The super-sized 43st [600lb] mother who is determined to become the world's fattest woman

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 01:30 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lexapro
Baninated
Mar 17, 2010, 01:30 PM

Do not reproduce.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010, 01:32 PM

There are no words.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 01:39 PM

The quotes just keep getting better and better.

You might expect her long-term partner Philippe, 49, to advise her to slim down, but instead he encourages her to eat more.

He met Donna on a dating site for plus-size people and is a self-confessed fat admirer, although he himself only weighs 150lbs.

'He's a real belly man, and completely supports me.'

---

To achieve her goal, Donna says she will need to eat up to 12,000 calories a day (the average woman should consume only 2,000.)

---

To fund the massive $750 weekly food shop, she runs a website where men pay her to watch her eat fast food.

For comparison: When I was exercising 6 days a week and in my best physical shape as a 20-something, and bulking up from weightlifting, I was eating about 3000 calories a day or so.

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
Do not reproduce.
Ms Simpson already holds the Guinness World Record as the world's fattest mother, when she gave birth in 2007 weighing 38stone.

She needed a team of 30 medics to deliver her daughter Jacqueline during a high-risk Caesarean birth.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 01:57 PM

What a worthless mom and a worthless human. Here children in Haiti are starving and she is gorging herself in an effort to make herself as fat as possible. We have a word for that over here: Massive jerk.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 02:12 PM

Massive jerk in an understatement.

She is a disgusting example of human indulgence. Insisting she is healthy yet can't walk more than 20 feet.

If I met this woman in real life I would be tempted to kill her with my bare hands and feed her grotesque carcass to starving children.

Makes me f**king sick to see sh!t like this. I'd rather someone kill themselves on Heroin, at least they aren't wasting food.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If I met this woman in real life I would be tempted to kill her with my bare hands and feed her grotesque carcass to starving children.
Good luck finding an artery or anything...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 02:27 PM

12K in calories a day? That's just wrong in so many ways.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 02:30 PM

Everyone needs a hobby....

But seriously, what kind of idiot does this? It's so damaging to your health.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 02:36 PM

A sumo wrestler's daily caloric intake can reach 8,000 kilocalories, more than twice that of an average Japanese adult male.

That's actually 4 times the coloric intake of a normal person... and only 2/3rds of what that fat woman wants to achieve.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 02:55 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 02:56 PM

What? No Jabba the Hutt reference yet? You guys are slacking.

-t

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Mar 17, 2010, 03:15 PM

Actually you just didn't see him because she's on top of him.

Also, by random coincidence, last night I watched the episode of Futurama where the What-If Machine shows what would happen if Bender became human — namely, to achieve in one week what this woman aspires to do in two years!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 17, 2010, 03:19 PM

"Woooooo"

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 03:25 PM

Only in Amarika!™

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Mar 17, 2010, 03:30 PM

LOL

Apparently the Kingdom of Tonga has the highest obesity worldwide, over 70%. Ouch!

Thorzdad
Mar 17, 2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What a worthless mom and a worthless human. Here children in Haiti are starving and she is gorging herself in an effort to make herself as fat as possible. We have a word for that over here: Massive jerk.
Maybe she's angling to take-over Adam Richman's job? Though, I'm not sure I can make a moral difference between the two re: the "people starving in Haiti" argument. I find them both pretty reprehensible, though I probably find RIchman more so, since his gluttony is done for entertainment's sake.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 17, 2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Maybe she's angling to take-over Adam Richman's job? Though, I'm not sure I can make a moral difference between the two re: the "people starving in Haiti" argument. I find them both pretty reprehensible, though I probably find RIchman more so, since his gluttony is done for entertainment's sake.

To fund the massive $750 weekly food shop, she runs a website where men pay her to watch her eat fast food.

Thorzdad
Mar 17, 2010, 03:52 PM

LOL. I stand corrected. They are equally reprehensible.

And...ew.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 04:00 PM

Giggitygiggitygiggitygiggitygiggitygiggity

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
We have a word for that over here: Massive jerk.
Umm... that's two words.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 04:08 PM

If her husband has any appreciation for her, why is he hastening her demise by supporting her ambition? Is this a life insurance scam?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 04:08 PM

Say she was shot with a typical handgun...

Would the blubber be enough to keep the bullet from reaching any vital organs, or would it push right through? I know the infection would likely kill her, since the bullet would be impossible to remove, but for some reason this question popped into my mind as soon as I saw her picture.

What she is ignoring is the fact that her daughter will prematurely lose her mom. There's no way this woman lives to be sixty.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2010, 04:10 PM

I can't imagine her daughter ends up having a very healthy attitude towards food, either.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What she is ignoring is the fact that her daughter will prematurely lose her mom. There's no way this woman lives to be sixty.
Honestly, with a mother like that (who, as SpaceMonkey said, is not likely to pass on a healthy attitude towards food to her child), I think the daughter’s almost better off an orphan.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 04:20 PM

Would the blubber be enough to keep the bullet from reaching any vital organs, or would it push right through? I know the infection would likely kill her, since the bullet would be impossible to remove, but for some reason this question popped into my mind as soon as I saw her picture.
That's one for Myth Busters and their ballistics gel testing.

Doesn't care or is too dumb to consider the consequences, I guess.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If her husband has any appreciation for her, why is he hastening her demise by supporting her ambition? Is this a life insurance scam?
He's apparently taking "chubby chaser" to new, er, heights.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2010, 04:22 PM

From what I remember of R. Lee Ermey's "Lock and Load" (not much), a .44 Magnum would blow right through a 2 foot thick block of ballistics gel like it wasn't there.

Then again, her blubber would probably be more than 2 feet thick. ::shudder::

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2010, 05:37 PM

Actually I think they covered that one already. If I'm not mistaken, she'd still be dead -- fat doesn't do a whole lot to slow down a bullet.
Trust me. I'm a Taco.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Umm... that's two words.
Sorry, I'm striving to be unbiased towards numbers.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2010, 07:36 PM

How can these people breed, or even be allowed to breed!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 08:21 PM

I know of a guy that was stabbed with a long knife. He was rushed to hospital and immediately into surgery.

He was extremely obese, and the knife did get into the abdominal cavity. However, it was just barely, and the tip didn't hit any significant organs, because the bulk of the knife was stuck in his fat layer - many, many inches thick.

Of course, a knife isn't a bullet though.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I know of a guy that was stabbed with a long knife. He was rushed to hospital and immediately into surgery.

He was extremely obese, and the knife did get into the abdominal cavity. However, it was just barely, and the tip didn't hit any significant organs, because the bulk of the knife was stuck in his fat layer - many, many inches thick.

Of course, a knife isn't a bullet though.
Sounds like a modern example of one of the best stories in the Bible (see verse 20).

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2010, 10:58 PM

I've had "debates" with this woman on said "dating sites for plus sized people," due to my own attraction to fat women (cue Doofy saying "Person Man loves fat birds!"). It's not something I can help; I've found fat women attractive and appealing all my life. I even consider myself to be a fat admirer (or FA) like this woman's husband, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Just about all of my friends and colleagues know I like fat women. However... unlike this woman's husband I don't encourage (or condone) the type selfish, self-destructive behavior this woman is engaging in.

That being said... one of the reasons I participate in the dating site (on their forums, mainly) is because of the distrust that the people on those sites have of the medical profession. As a physician myself, I can say that the distrust of the medical profession is well-deserved. The way doctors treat fat people is atrocious. Doctors (in general) think that they are helping fat people by berating, belittling, and insulting them. They think that by scaring them they will motivate them to lose weight and get healthy.

Well, guess what? All that serves to do is drive fat people away from doctors, as they avoid them to avoid being made to feel ashamed or failures for failing to lose weight. Which, in the long run, harms their health more than simply being overweight does. The patient being fat does not give doctors an excuse to treat them as subhuman, to deny them the basic respect that all people deserve. That isn't to say that I'm not firm with my patients, but I've found that by treating them with respect they are much more receptive to what I have to say.

Many fat women (and men) on those sites have had horrible experiences with doctors, and therefore do not trust them. In discussions with them, I've been able to get many of them to change their attitudes and correct their misconceptions. This is because, as a fat admirer, they see me as one of them. I'm on their side, so they are naturally more receptive to what I have to say. Several of them have since started seeing doctors again as a result of what I have said.

But not the woman mentioned in the article. She sees me as "just as bad as all the other doctors." Nothing I have said or demonstrated has been able to convince her otherwise. Anything I say about the medical risks of extreme obesity gets instantly dismissed as "anti-fat medical propaganda." One woman on the forum posted a question asking if it was possible for fat women to get pregnant. She was nowhere near as big as the woman mentioned in the article. I replied to her, saying that yes, fat women can get pregnant, and can carry babies safely, but that there are more risks associated with it than with normal-weight people, and that she should seek the advice of an obstetrician who specializes in high risk pregnancies.

The woman in the article chimed in, accused me of anti-fat bias, and proceeded to angrily rip me to shreds. She then told her story of how she went to doctor after doctor who refused to help her with pregnancy, until she found one who was willing to help. She said that "he expressed surprise that all those other doctors refused to help her," (SAY WHAT???) and that he told her that being pregnant at 450-500 lbs was no riskier than being pregnant at 100-150 lbs. Oh yeah. She needed thirty freakin' doctors at the bedside (or at least readily available) to give birth. How many normal weight mothers need 30 doctors to safely deliver an infant by Caesarean section? Most of the other posters in that thread took my side and defended me against her, which resulted in a moderator locking the thread and warning me for "insulting the woman." So, as a result, I've given up completely. I can't convince her that what she's doing is not healthy.

Have I mentioned that this woman is an attention whore??? (Yes, it's obvious if you read the article, but still...)

Very sad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2010, 11:20 PM

Kudos for trying I guess.

Anyways, if the article is the least bit accurate, then it's clear she's a total frickin' moron, as is her husband.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 01:16 AM

A sumo wrestler's daily caloric intake can reach 8,000 kilocalories, more than twice that of an average Japanese adult male.

That's actually 4 times the coloric intake of a normal person... and only 2/3rds of what that fat woman wants to achieve.
Except that most of those sumo guys are in good shape. Underneath that fat is all muscle.

In fact I was surprised to see many "skinny" sumo guys at a tournament who were in fact ripped. Pure muscle. The problem was that they got pushed out/ down because they didn't weigh enough.

I'd go so far as to say the average sumo guy is in better shape than the average person half his weight.

They're also really nice people. But that's just my experience with them.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
As a physician myself, I can say that the distrust of the medical profession is well-deserved. The way doctors treat fat people is atrocious. Doctors (in general) think that they are helping fat people by berating, belittling, and insulting them. They think that by scaring them they will motivate them to lose weight and get healthy.

Well, guess what? All that serves to do is drive fat people away from doctors, as they avoid them to avoid being made to feel ashamed or failures for failing to lose weight.
I have found that most physicians (and just about all "doctors"-MDs with lots of book smarts and no people skills at all) are woefully lacking in anything like "empathy" or "subtlety," especially when it comes to situations that they are uncomfortable with. In my own professional training I had both qualities heavily stressed for exactly the same reason you're pointing out. Where I work we have some great docs who really care, really make that clear and really endear themselves to the patients. But some others make it hard for the rest to make inroads. One weekend duty doctor visit to a patient's room can ruin several days of work the attending has done in getting a patient on board with lifestyle and attitude changes.

Unfortunately it's not just doctors. A lot of people in society feel that being overweight is always a choice that the individual can reverse at will. Even when the person making such judgments is nowhere near their own ideal weight, if they themselves aren't morbidly obese they feel they are qualified and entitled to voice their opinions, often loudly and harshly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 08:04 AM

Person Man loves fat birds!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A lot of people in society feel that being overweight is always a choice that the individual can reverse at will. Even when the person making such judgments is nowhere near their own ideal weight, if they themselves aren't morbidly obese they feel they are qualified and entitled to voice their opinions, often loudly and harshly.
Well, as I suggested earlier, it wouldn't be stretch to say that probably everyone in this thread agrees this woman is a complete bonehead.

While it's true that many in health care need an attitude adjustment, I'd say that just about any sane person likely would find this woman very, very trying.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Unfortunately it's not just doctors. A lot of people in society feel that being overweight is always a choice that the individual can reverse at will. Even when the person making such judgments is nowhere near their own ideal weight, if they themselves aren't morbidly obese they feel they are qualified and entitled to voice their opinions, often loudly and harshly.
The problem with losing the "be slim" peer pressure is that it takes society into problem areas. If a society isn't striving for excellence in all regards, it's heading for decay. Remove the "fat" chastisement and you get a nation of fatties with ill-health. Remove the "slapper" chastisement and you get a nation full of dirty hos with Chlamydia. Remove the "slacker" chastisement and you get a nation full of parasitical welfare cases. Remove the "whiney little donkeyorifice" chastisement and you get Radiohead.

And it's cumulative. Not good.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 08:52 AM

How much dignity can you have when they have to use a crane and cut the side out of your home just to get the fat dead woman onto the trailer so she can be taken to the morgue? Fat AND stupid.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Person Man loves fat birds!
I love hearing you use the term "fat bird."

The problem with losing the "be slim" peer pressure is that it takes society into problem areas. If a society isn't striving for excellence in all regards, it's heading for decay. Remove the "fat" chastisement and you get a nation of fatties with ill-health. Remove the "slapper" chastisement and you get a nation full of dirty hos with Chlamydia. Remove the "slacker" chastisement and you get a nation full of parasitical welfare cases. Remove the "whiney little donkeyorifice" chastisement and you get Radiohead.

And it's cumulative. Not good.
To be fair, I'm not advocating losing the "'be slim' peer pressure..." I'd like the peer pressure to be more positive than negative. Just saying. Just because I like fat women doesn't mean I give them a free pass on their weight. I do it respectfully and they respond nicely. Most of my patients try hard and it shows.

When negative reinforcement from the medical profession serves to drive away a population that needs medical care the most, there's something wrong. I've had fat patients come to me with conditions totally unrelated to being fat that were dismissed by other doctors because they were fat. For instance, the lady with leg pain who was told by her doctor that "all she had to do was lose weight and it would go away." The doctor didn't bother to do an x-ray. I did. She had a pathologic fracture (incomplete) and ended up being diagnosed with multiple myeloma (which several of her non-fat family members have had).

Both the Hippocratic Oath and the Osteopathic Oath include "do no harm" clauses. Passive harm is just as bad as active harm, IMHO.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2010, 09:14 AM

Aww, I wasn't here yesterday to make fun of the dumb fatty.

Man, that fatty is dumb.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 09:14 AM

Both the Hippocratic Oath and the Osteopathic Oath include "do no harm" clauses.
I wonder how many medical schools still use the Hippocratic Oath. AFAIK, most don't these days. It's not as if taking some old oath is gonna make an ass a good doctor.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 09:24 AM

I wonder how many medical schools still use the Hippocratic Oath. AFAIK, most don't these days.
Oh no, on the contrary, in the United States many medical schools still have their students take the oath (or a similar one) as a group during the graduation ceremony. All of them have the same basic principles of "respect your patient, respect the privilege of being a physician, do no harm, don't help people commit suicide, etc."

Re: "don't help people commit suicide," the Osteopathic Oath contains an explicit clause saying: "I will give no drugs for deadly purposes to any person, though it may be asked of me."

It's not as if taking some old oath is gonna make an ass a good doctor.
No, but it serves as a basic guideline, if nothing else. And those of us who were raised on the belief that promises were meant to be kept and not broken, try our best to take the various Oaths seriously.

Note to the people outside the U.S. When I talk about Osteopathic Medicine, I'm talking about the American version of it, where D.O.'s are fully licensed physicians with no restrictions on their practice just like M.D.'s. In England (and most of the rest of the world), one needs both the equivalent of an M.D. degree and a Master's degree in Osteopathy to equal an American D.O.
( Last edited by Person Man; Mar 18, 2010 at 09:31 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 09:26 AM

I love hearing you use the term "fat bird."

I'm glad you like fat birds - more skinny birds for me!

To be fair, I'm not advocating losing the "'be slim' peer pressure..." I'd like the peer pressure to be more positive than negative. Just saying. Just because I like fat women doesn't mean I give them a free pass on their weight. I do it respectfully and they respond nicely. Most of my patients try hard and it shows.

When negative reinforcement from the medical profession serves to drive away a population that needs medical care the most, there's something wrong. I've had fat patients come to me with conditions totally unrelated to being fat that were dismissed by other doctors because they were fat. For instance, the lady with leg pain who was told by her doctor that "all she had to do was lose weight and it would go away." The doctor didn't bother to do an x-ray. I did. She had a pathologic fracture (incomplete) and ended up being diagnosed with multiple myeloma (which several of her non-fat family members have had).

Both the Hippocratic Oath and the Osteopathic Oath include "do no harm" clauses. Passive harm is just as bad as active harm, IMHO.
I hear ya. Carrot, not stick.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 09:42 AM

Oh no, on the contrary, in the United States many medical schools still have their students take the oath (or a similar one) as a group during the graduation ceremony. All of them have the same basic principles of "respect your patient, respect the privilege of being a physician, do no harm, don't help people commit suicide, etc."

Re: "don't help people commit suicide," the Osteopathic Oath contains an explicit clause saying: "I will give no drugs for deadly purposes to any person, though it may be asked of me."

No, but it serves as a basic guideline, if nothing else. And those of us who were raised on the belief that promises were meant to be kept and not broken, try our best to take the various Oaths seriously.
A similar oath is not the Hippocratic Oath. The point being that a lot of people consider much of the original Hippocratic Oath completely inappropriate.

BTW, assisted suicide is legal in some countries. Furthermore, in Canada (where I live), it's illegal, but arguably just barely so. The supreme court decision was 5-4 against assisted suicide.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2010, 09:53 AM

I'm glad you like fat birds - more skinny birds for me!
Don't get too excited... I'm not exclusive to fat women

A similar oath is not the Hippocratic Oath. The point being that a lot of people consider much of the original Hippocratic Oath completely inappropriate.

BTW, assisted suicide is legal in some countries. Furthermore, in Canada (where I live), it's illegal, but arguably just barely so. The supreme court decision was 5-4 against assisted suicide.
There are several Oaths that are used these days, and they get updated to reflect modern sensibilities. Some schools stick to "tradition," others use updated oaths, and still others don't use an oath at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2010, 06:25 PM

To be fair, I'm not advocating losing the "'be slim' peer pressure..." I'd like the peer pressure to be more positive than negative.
I agree completely-there's no reason to be a jerk about telling someone "your weight isn't healthy, and it will cause you the following problems..." I've done it several times in the past month, and had each person basically agree without cringing or feeling like I was being rude or a jerk. The thing is, I have those "people skills" (at least a little) and those are simply not what medical school (and certainly not residency!) grade on. In many cases, new physicians mimic the way the attending physician they did the most residency time with acted, and quite often old doctors are just very experienced jerks...

It would be much better for society in general for more people to value being healthier over all. If people valued maintaining something like a healthy weight, getting a little regular exercise, and eating foods that didn't cause quick and unpleasant cardiovascular problems, almost everything in society could improve, some of it very markedly. But our society enables, even encourages people to binge eat, to avoid exercise, and to eat things like deep fried Snickers bars-and not just very occasionally, either.

The individual in the original post is a waddling example of "valuing" dysfunction and disability over health and ability, which is very bad for everyone, especially that individual. I hope she understands that her kid will be without a mother much earlier than would otherwise be necessary, and that the process will be painful and tragic to the poor kid in ways she can't really see.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules