Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Xbox 360 safe yet?

Xbox 360 safe yet?
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2007, 02:33 AM

I've been wanting to get an Xbox 360 for a while, but I knew there were all those reports about the system giving up the ghost the moment it went out of warranty and I didn't feel inclined to pay the big repair fee if it did break. Do there still seem to be reliability problems, or is it safe to buy now?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 4, 2007, 06:24 PM

I think the 360's are still problematic, even the 360 Elite is still based on the old versions of the 360. If I were you, I would Just wait till the fall when the 65 nm models comes out, suppose to be lot quieter and cooler too.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2007, 08:15 PM

i disagree, 360 has a very low failure rate, the problem was only really in the first 6 mths... and the 'revision' with 65nm will only really have the advantage of being quieter (they're getting a new optical drive as well, that's where most of the noise comes from at the mo).

i've had mine for over a year without issue, it sees a lot of use.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2007, 11:30 AM

The 360 still has has a ridiculously high failure rate. The problem certainly is not limited to systems from the first 6 months. Mine worked great for a year as well. Then one day it just stopped working out of the blue. They don't slowly die, they just up and croak one day.

I would hold off until later this year when they are supposed to release a newer version.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 7, 2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The 360 still has has a ridiculously high failure rate. The problem certainly is not limited to systems from the first 6 months. Mine worked great for a year as well. Then one day it just stopped working out of the blue. They don't slowly die, they just up and croak one day.

I would hold off until later this year when they are supposed to release a newer version.
Yeap, but you do get a year warranty...thank god mine died before the warranty was up.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2007, 02:28 PM

Yeah, you get a year warranty which is better than the 90 days (?) they originally gave.

I was playing a game once and it froze, I turned it off, turned it back on, saw the 3 red rings, turned it off and back on and it worked. That was a few months into owning it and now (over a year later) I haven't had an issue with it.

If you're looking to get one I suggest you go ahead and do it, it's a great console and has good games.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 03:04 PM

I bought mine in March or so, and after reading various horror stories on the net, I bought the extended warranty, just to make sure I have a workin' game machine for at least 3 years. Man, this is bad when the quality's that bad.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 12:27 AM

I freak out every time I see the three-ring of death; but that usually means the cables are plugged in right...but still, freaks me out at time

On a side note, we been playing our 360 almost non-stop since Forza 2 came out...surprised to see that it has'nt died yet

Prain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 11:35 AM

I've had a 360 for a while.. (can't remember how long must be getting on to a year.. the day oblivion came out in the UK) and never had a problem with it.. i have quite a few mates on Live as well and have yet to find one with a really bad experience..

as far as waiting for the 65nm revision..yes it can be a bit noisy but thats forgotten as soon as the volume goes up on the TV and after 5 minutes you don't notice anyhow..

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2007, 04:56 AM

i have never actually met or even spoken to a person who has had an issue with their post-05 xbox 360 (actually iv never met anyone who had an 05 model die on them either, even though i know this was common)... i know a lot of ppl with 360s.
People who say 360 still has a ridiculous failure rate all have one thing in common - they're all wrong IMO.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 08:21 PM

If it isn't a problem why is it in the news? http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/06...sink/index.php And why would they be adding new hardware to fix it? It's definitely a problem.
MacBook Pro

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 10:31 PM

I used to pity those whose xbox360 failed until mine failed three months after purchasing 360 (Jan 07)...

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 14, 2007, 11:13 PM

R.I.P Steve Jobs

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 15, 2007, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts View Post
I used to pity those whose xbox360 failed until mine failed three months after purchasing 360 (Jan 07)...
Did you get a refurb or did they fix your 360? My original died on me, i got a refurb (made in Nov. 06), which died on me around Jan as well...some got theirs fixed, but I got another refurb

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Did you get a refurb or did they fix your 360? My original died on me, i got a refurb (made in Nov. 06), which died on me around Jan as well...some got theirs fixed, but I got another refurb
No idea if its fixed version or refurb, they didn't say anything about it. Power button appears to be soft, not clicky like before so it may be refurb.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 03:26 PM

No idea if its fixed version or refurb, they didn't say anything about it. Power button appears to be soft, not clicky like before so it may be refurb.
A fixed version would have the same serial #, a refurb or new one would have a different serial #.
MacBook Pro

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
People who say 360 still has a ridiculous failure rate all have one thing in common - they're all wrong IMO.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 10:45 PM

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 11:05 PM

Ouch, their poll shows that almost two-thirds of Xbox 360 owners who responded have had a dud. In this case, two out of three is pretty bad.
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 03:31 AM

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 03:56 AM

I wish MS'd just come out with the numbers.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Ouch, their poll shows that almost two-thirds of Xbox 360 owners who responded have had a dud. In this case, two out of three is pretty bad.
That's unreal.

Man, I hope they solve this before fall, i really'd like to pick on up come GTA time.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 10:59 AM

Frankly, I'm surprised just because I thought the complaints about problems on this forum were declining.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
That's unreal.

Man, I hope they solve this before fall, i really'd like to pick on up come GTA time.
Ditto. That's why I started this thread, hoping I was still just hearing old rumors. There's several games for the 360 I want to play, but I don't want to buy it if there's a friggin' 60% chance I'll get a dud.
Chuck
___

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 11:12 AM

Frankly, I'm surprised just because I thought the complaints about problems on this forum were declining.
They were probably just put out of order.
Chuck
___

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 02:38 PM

Just wait till fall, games you want now will be cheaper and you probably will have a "better" version of the 360.

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Just wait till fall, games you want now will be cheaper and you probably will have a "better" version of the 360.
Eh, I see your thinking, but I'm always nervous about waiting for the next cool thing. I decided to wait for the next revs of the iMac and Mac Pro, and look how that's turned out for me. Apple ain't never going to update those ****ers.
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 03:06 PM

Haha, after we pick-up or 360s in the fall MS will probably release a new one for the holidays...

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 03:11 PM

Just pick up 20 books at the B&N and you should be set for the repair wait.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 03:12 PM

I've had my current 360 for about 3 weeks, and I'm already having troubles with it...

About half the time I turn it on, my TV isn't getting any input from it. Some of those times, the bottom right of the ring turns red and I get a message onscreen to contact Microsoft support. Then I'll try again and it will work fine.

I will be contacting Microsoft. I just hate the trouble of sending it off, waiting for it to return, and not having anything to play in the meantime (except my DS).

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 04:05 PM

You should get it repaired, and now they will fix your machine instead of sending you a refurb one. The whole process should take abotu 10 business days, or so I been told about their new policy.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 04:07 PM

Eh, I see your thinking, but I'm always nervous about waiting for the next cool thing. I decided to wait for the next revs of the iMac and Mac Pro, and look how that's turned out for me. Apple ain't never going to update those ****ers.
Your right, by the time next revision of the 360 comes out, PS3 will probably see a price drop

fhoubi
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've had my current 360 for about 3 weeks, and I'm already having troubles with it...
Mine is less than 2 weeks old, and problems EVERY day from day one... disc read errors in Forza 2. The disc is in perfect condition.

Funny enough I get it between 10 minutes and 10 hours, until now only once a day. Bummer I bought the Forza pack, because it had (and I wanted the newest one) a production date of december 2006, instead of the premium (all begin 2006) and the separate game, which would be about 50 Euros cheaper. I am utterly p!$@%@
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 11:30 AM

i have never actually met or even spoken to a person who has had an issue with their post-05 xbox 360 (actually iv never met anyone who had an 05 model die on them either, even though i know this was common)... i know a lot of ppl with 360s.
add this to your list as well

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 11:47 PM

I just won a brand new 360 in a raffle....so if it breaks, I don't really care all that much, as I have nothing invested in this machine at all.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I just won a brand new 360 in a raffle....so if it breaks, I don't really care all that much, as I have nothing invested in this machine at all.

So if you kind of...you know...gave it to me...

...you wouldn't actually be losing any money on it or anything...

darksol360
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 03:44 AM

Friend just bought a Xbox360 and it periodically does not read Guitar Hero 3 and Oblivion IV! I will be waiting till they redesign it. And you know its not gonna be for months after Halo 3 is released (gotta get rid of the trash somehow). Also, I'll be waiting till there is some actual exclusive killer apps on PS3 before making that jump.

I'll just have to enjoy my Wii, and DS, and iMac (that just got bumped to 2GB RAM from a New Macbook Pro!) =D

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 02:07 PM

I've been wanting to get an Xbox 360 for a while, but I knew there were all those reports about the system giving up the ghost the moment it went out of warranty and I didn't feel inclined to pay the big repair fee if it did break. Do there still seem to be reliability problems, or is it safe to buy now?
My system just failed after owning it for about four months. However Microsoft is taking good care of me fixing my console under warranty and extending the warranty period to a year. They are also extending my live coverage for another month since I'll be without my 360 for up to two business weeks during the repair. So while I wouldn't say they have ironed out all the bugs in regards to what appears to be a high rate of system failures. I can say I'm very pleased with Microsofts service thus far. Which is something I never possibly imagined I would be saying in my lifetime.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 09:49 AM

With the new 3-year warranty on the "3 red rings of death" issue....you should feel at ease.

http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/34...s/#post3423020

finboy
Jul 9, 2007, 01:45 PM

i disagree, 360 has a very low failure rate, the problem was only really in the first 6 mths...
This is incorrect according to everyone I've discussed it with. I've personally seen the stacks and stacks and stacks of extended warranty claims on the "three light" problem. We used the *crap* out of ours for most of a year, and it gave up the ghost at 11.5 months. We were literally 10 days away from no warranty. Our other 360 is newer and we've had no problem, but there isn't supposed to be any distinction between failure rates on old machines versus new machines -- they didn't catch the problem until the machines had already been out for a while.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2007, 01:50 PM

Didn't the original xbox get a game featuring VOLVO cars?, maybe MS could release a 360 version so the damn thing becomes safe at last.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2007, 12:47 PM

It occurs to me that if I were to pick up a 360, it would be considered suicidal for me to leave it on for a couple days at a time, wouldn't it?

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 17, 2007, 01:11 PM

Yes, but thanks to MS's 3 BILLION dollar warranty program, you're golden for like 3 years now. Man this reply window is tiny. Anyway, do it. Make it fail. Leave it on even when you aren't playing. IT's just more $ outta MS's pocket.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2007, 04:57 PM

It occurs to me that if I were to pick up a 360, it would be considered suicidal for me to leave it on for a couple days at a time, wouldn't it?
There's screensaver/sleep mode in 360. HD and everything else will sleep when console is idle.

If you're scarey cat type, you could always buy cooler attachment for 360 or put it inside mini-fridge permanently

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2007, 04:58 PM

There's screensaver/sleep mode in 360. HD and everything else will sleep when console is idle.
Does this apply while still in a game? Because that's what I'm talking about.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2007, 05:11 PM

Only screensaver (black dim) during gaming.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2007, 05:37 PM

Yeah, that'll do nothing for the heat, I imagine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules