Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Supplied PDF Pantone to CMYK???

Supplied PDF Pantone to CMYK???
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 04:52 PM

OK... advertiser supplied a PDF with a Pantone... I thought of opening it in Illustrator and changing it and re-saving, but I don't have their fonts... I could place it in the InDesign file I am working in, and save it all to CMYK when I create the overall job PDF, but can I trust InDesign's color management?

Or is there anoither way?

I have InDesign CS1 & Acrobat Professional 6... (and Illustrator CS1 & Photoshop CS1)

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
OK... advertiser supplied a PDF with a Pantone... I thought of opening it in Illustrator and changing it and re-saving, but I don't have their fonts... I could place it in the InDesign file I am working in, and save it all to CMYK when I create the overall job PDF, but can I trust InDesign's color management?

Or is there anoither way?

I have InDesign CS1 & Acrobat Professional 6... (and Illustrator CS1 & Photoshop CS1)
If you do not need to make any changes, open the PDF in Photoshop as a high res CMYK PDF to the size you need, re-save as a TIF, EPS, whatever and import as an image into your InDesign file.

W2

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 10:18 PM

won't the type get bitmappy?

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 10:26 PM

Can't you open it in Illustrator and convert the type to outlines? Then you can do the color adjustments you need... on that note you'd probably need the Pantone 4-color process guide to help with an accurate color conversion.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 10:50 PM

I don't have the fonts

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by tpicco View Post
won't the type get bitmappy?

T

Nope. Type will stay sharp at 100% production size or smaller. PS will rasterize the PDF. Specify resolution at minimum 300dpi when opening. Be sure to check "Anti-aliased". To confirm, I opened a recent ad which featured KO type on black: 11 pt Frutiger Roman and 18 pt Garamond Book Italic. All looked clean.

What fonts are you missing?

W2

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 09:33 AM

I would be very careful. If there is ANYTHING wrong, you will be blamed.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator View Post
I would be very careful. If there is ANYTHING wrong, you will be blamed.
CYA: If the advertiser is informed that the PDF sent was not to the correct spec and is missing fonts, and is afforded the opportunity to send corrected art or fonts, there will be no blame or liability. (Save all documentation)

BTW, many publications and printers will charge advertisers for correcting the art.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 12:45 PM

Use Acrobat's separation preview to find out what element is pantone (sure it's a logo or some other element). Use the touchup object tool and OPT-double click the pantone item. This will open it up in either Photoshop for bitmap graphics or Illustrator for vector graphics. Change the color space and save. Check the separation preview for desired results.

The whole opening in Photoshop really should be a last, last resort because whether your text appears clear it will be problematic for four color press considering you have to now register that formerly black text into the four color black Photoshop will convert it to. If it misregisters it will look fuzzy or worse.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

Thorzdad
Oct 30, 2006, 03:31 PM

Is the whole point of all this to convert the Pantone spot color to CMYK?
If so, you can work with your printer on this. They should be able to convert the spot color to CMYK in prepress. They'll hate on you a little about it, but they can do it.

And, yes, you can trust InDesign's color management. It's at least as good as Illustrator's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules