Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New Mac owner - The best torrent app.

New Mac owner - The best torrent app.
coffee_cream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2008, 11:00 PM

hello everyone. i'm the proud new owner of a brand new macbook. i wanted my first computer to be a mac but alas the cost back then was more then i could afford. anyway thats all changed, however after years of using a pc i'm still finding my way around mac and dealing with the subtle differences.

i'm going to read the faq's but i will probably still be asking a bunch of questions. your help and understanding will be greatly appreciated.

quick question already. anyone know if ares galaxy makes a version for mac? if so where can i download it. if not, then does anyone know a good p2p to use with mac? i have "poison" right now but i'm not a fan.

thanks,
coffee_cream makes the girls scream!

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 11:04 PM

Welcome!
Transmission is my favorite BitTorrent program.

For other stuff, you should checkout MacUpdate.com for all sorts of great Mac software.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 01:13 AM

Azureus. Make sure you turn off the gawd-awful Vuze interface though.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:38 AM

Another vote for Transmission from an X Azureus user.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 04:53 AM

Another vote for Azureus w/o the Vuze interface.

Transmission looks nice and behaves like a Mac app should. Unfortunately it sucks as a BT client.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 06:57 AM

The RIAA wants you to know that downloading these types of files is stealing! You are supporting terrorists and drug dealers by doing so!! You are so both going to hell.

I use Transmission on my Macbook, too. I have Bittornado on Vista.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 27, 2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Another vote for Transmission from an X Azureus user.
Same here
---
There are lots of great applications out there! Here is a great link with 100 free or trial use applications. I am a huge fan of Adium. I have no problem with iChat, but Adium is so customizable. Welcome to the world of Apple, and feel free to post questions.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 04:57 PM

Listen. You want the BEST speed, use parallels and windows xp, then use uTorrent as your client. Best speed all around. All of the mac clients have issues, most of them don't get near the speed you'll get with transmission. Other people are bound to disagree so I'm only speaking for myself.

But I've tried ALL the mac clients vs. utorrent with the same torrent, during the same day, all just one at a time.. and utorrent wins hands down. Others will say it's a hassle to run windows & utorrent just for torrents but it works great for me as I've maxxed out the ram on my macbook and I have 4gb in it. I'm always open to hear something new, but mostly mac clients suffer from being blocked by other trackers.

If you want to know more just please feel free to ask.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

coffee_cream  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 08:53 PM

thank you very much every one. well i downloaded "transmission", now how the hell do you use it? i've never been good with all that torrent stuff. thats why i liked ares. just type what you want and search. i've pushed every button i can with transmission which isn't many and i can't get any thing to happen.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 10:30 PM

Why don't you ask in the Applications forum? Using BitTorrent has nothing to do with MacBooks.

coffee_cream  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
Why don't you ask in the Applications forum? Using BitTorrent has nothing to do with MacBooks.
thank you, i appreciate the tip as to the proper area to post, however this thread was moved here by a mod. from the lounge and i had already asked question.

many have already responded in trying to help me, so i'll keep going with this til it proves unfruitful.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2008, 06:45 AM

Moved

Cold Warrior
Jun 28, 2008, 11:01 AM

Heh. When it was about his new MacBook, I moved it to the notebook forum. Now it's about BT.

Azureus all the way.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2008, 11:21 AM

C'est la vie.

I wonder how many times a thread has been moved due to topic changes?

Back on topic, I'd have to vote uTorrent on Windows as the best. Azureus was running on Java last time I used it on my iBook G4, Transmission never seems to do that well compared to uTorrent, but it may be because I haven't forwarded ports correctly to the MacBook.

Cold Warrior
Jun 28, 2008, 11:31 AM

Yeah, port forwarding will make a huge difference. Sometimes I have two Macs running BT on my LAN, so for that I set different ports and have two port forwarding rules, one each going to the right Mac.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2008, 11:45 AM

You're probably right. The problem with the MacBook is that it has AirPort + Ethernet (two IPs to account for) and I leave it on DHCP anyway because I move around so much.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by coffee_cream View Post
thank you, i appreciate the tip as to the proper area to post, however this thread was moved here by a mod. from the lounge and i had already asked question.

many have already responded in trying to help me, so i'll keep going with this til it proves unfruitful.
You can just open a torrent file with Transmission like you can open a text file with TextEdit. You can just drag the torrent onto Transmission or double-click it in the Finder.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2008, 02:40 PM

Miro is quite nice too-

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 02:42 PM

The newsgroups are a much better way to do this sort of stuff... Much faster speeds, much lower risk. Giganews + Newzbin + Hellanzb.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The newsgroups are a much better way to do this sort of stuff... Much faster speeds, much lower risk. Giganews + Newzbin + Hellanzb.
To do what stuff? Download and upload torrents?
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
To do what stuff? Download and upload torrents?
To download legal and illegal files, which this thread is clearly about even if we're not calling it that.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2008, 03:47 PM

Yes... newsgroups WOULD be better... but you have to pay to get access. Torrents are free. uTorrent on windows FTW!
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 03:48 PM

And you really think newsgroups have a comparable selection of legal and illegal files to download compared to the entirety of all torrents available on the Web?

Also, Giganews costs a fair sum of money. Most Bittorrent trackers do not.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 03:49 PM

Many ISPs, such as Comcast, provide a free Giganews account which gives you 2g/month.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 03:51 PM

And you really think newsgroups have a comparable selection of legal and illegal files to download compared to the entirety of all torrents available on the Web?

Also, Giganews costs a fair sum of money. Most Bittorrent trackers do not.
I guess it would depend on what you were after. I've very rarely come up short looking for any movie I've ever searched for, and many offer you the option of h.264/Bluray, DVD, or video file (divX, Xvid, etc.). I consistently suck down a DVD sized file in just over an hour with my ISP's connection.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 28, 2008 at 03:58 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 04:00 PM

Such as Comcast? Do any other major ISPs offer a free Giganews account? I thought that was the only one. And I'm still skeptical of the selection.

BTW, a DVD-sized file is bigger than you can download from Giganews in a month on their kinda-cheap-but-still-not-really plan. So…that kind of brings me back to the cost point.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 04:17 PM

Such as Comcast? Do any other major ISPs offer a free Giganews account? I thought that was the only one. And I'm still skeptical of the selection.

BTW, a DVD-sized file is bigger than you can download from Giganews in a month on their kinda-cheap-but-still-not-really plan. So…that kind of brings me back to the cost point.
You can checkout the selection yourself if you can get somebody to invite you to Newzbin. The selection is awesome though, trust me.

If you are looking for files larger than 2 gigs, yes, you will have to shell out some dough if you want fast downloads ($13/month will get you 25 gig), but it's better than having to deal with abandoned or really slow torrents, having your connection totally brought to its knees by having to upload and download (unless you prevent BitTorrent from uploading, which greatly jeopardizes your download speeds), fear of the authorities monitoring the trackers (the RIAA has successfully sued several university students at our local university), files that are not properly labeled (NTSC vs. PAL, languages/subtitles, video source, etc.) My Giganews account is cheaper than Netflix, and it is far more convenient this way. Plus, I can choose the quality/size I want to download.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 04:30 PM

BitTorrent - no invites, no fees, no BS. I'll continue to enjoy watching Azureus download stuff for free at 9 Mbps.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 04:34 PM

If you don't consider what I listed above BS, cool, enjoy BitTorrent.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2008, 04:54 PM

I use Opera. It works as fast as other options and it's simple. I'm not aware of features that the other options have but Opera gets the job done.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 05:08 PM

I didn't know that Opera includes BitTorrent support...

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2008, 05:11 PM

Besson is right technically, however as it's been pointed out... using newsbin costs. And in today's world of torrents, I regularly download 5 or 6 torrents a night that average about 6gb. I mean I'm downloading whole seasons of tv shows. Most torrents, if you're learning how to look at the seeders/ leechers ratio, and can see it's current health... most torrents can be down within a 24 hour time frame, if not less.

Look I'm on Comcast. I have their highest package for a residential customer, a side effect of needing their highest upload speed to host xbox games.

I then use Parallels to run windows xp w/ SP 3 and AVG anti-virus software for free. I have xp on a static IP address which is plugged into my router's software. I then make sure that the port is open for utorrent, set utorrent to use the same port every time, and bam... green lights and high speeds. For anyone interested in my set up, I'm making a movie right now that shows my whole set up and you can emulate it. I've told wayyyyyyyy too many people how to do this over and over again so I need to just have a small series of videos that shows how to do this. I'll be hosting them on my .Mac account. They should be done in a day or so.

Stay tuned to this thread and I'll let you guys know when they're done.

Yes... this is the most STABLE & FASTEST setup to use. I've tried all the mac clients and they're OK.. but uTorrent right now is the King of all torrent clients.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 05:40 PM

Er…a ridiculously high-end Internet connection is probably pricier than a Usenet service.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 05:55 PM

It sure does.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
Miro is quite nice too-

L
Blah

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 10:36 PM

I'm just on the entry level Comcast internet service, and know that it is very annoying doing any sort of upload, as it pretty much simultaneously kills any download speeds that I can get.

I've thought about upgrading to the faster service though, in part because my work pays for my internet service.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 10:51 PM

Azureus 1+
R.I.P Steve Jobs

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Azureus. Make sure you turn off the gawd-awful Vuze interface though.
How do you turn it off?
which settings

p.s sorry for the double post
( Last edited by mkerr64; Jul 1, 2008 at 06:02 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Cold Warrior
Jun 28, 2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
How do you turn it off?
which settings
In the top right corner, there may be a small button with two arrows and the letters 'UI'. Click it and you should be able to toggle between the UI settings. If not, it should be in Interface settings. I have my Azureus set to Advanced, and it shows a number of settings.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2008, 10:58 PM

Parallels + uTorrent. All the Mac torrent apps suck.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
How do you turn it off?
which settings

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2008, 11:50 PM

When I first started downloading torrents, I right-clicked a torrent file, and I tried the options given to see which one that I liked the best:

finalsortie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2008, 02:14 PM

The best BT client for OS X is definitely Transmission. (Although this was not always the case) It works very well, has a number if great features, and is in constant development.

My second favorite client is Tomato. It's simple, but effective.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2008, 06:34 PM

Ok boys and girls... here they are... parts 1 & 2 hosted on my very own .mac page. Videos + notes. Email if you have trouble.

Part 1 setting up the Mac side

Part 2 setting up the Parallels/ Windows XP side

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 30, 2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by finalsortie View Post
The best BT client for OS X is definitely Transmission. (Although this was not always the case) It works very well, has a number if great features, and is in constant development.

My second favorite client is Tomato. It's simple, but effective.
I like the simplified look of Tomato, but I'm still stuck on Transmisson. I just love it and have had no issues with it so far.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Another vote for Azureus w/o the Vuze interface.

Transmission looks nice and behaves like a Mac app should. Unfortunately it sucks as a BT client.
Agreed. Transmission doesn't work well with private trackers and gets speeds that are about half of what I get with azureus.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Agreed. Transmission doesn't work well with private trackers and gets speeds that are about half of what I get with azureus.
That was my main issue too. Transmission looked great and worked just like a Mac app should. The problem was that when I benchmarked it against Azureus I constantly saw Azureus getting about twice as much done as Transmission in the same time and with the same settings.

Transmission is nice, but it's not nice enough for me to give up on 50% of Azureus' performance.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Parallels + uTorrent. All the Mac torrent apps suck.
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Thank you guys, but.....
it now only looks like this, and i cannot add any new torrents.

by the way how does apple feel about torrenting? say if you were to take it into the Apple store for a fix, would they care?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 06:13 PM

As long as you don't label the folder you download things into "Pirate Booty" with a skull and crossbones icon I think you'll be fine.

Personally, even after using XP in Bootcamp for only a few days, uTorrent wipes the floor with any Mac Torrent App.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
As long as you don't label the folder you download things into "Pirate Booty" with a skull and crossbones icon I think you'll be fine.

Personally, even after using XP in Bootcamp for only a few days, uTorrent wipes the floor with any Mac Torrent App.
Thanks, hope i dont get in trouble if i go there one day for a check up

for the app i just reinstalled, works fine
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules