Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sorry if this improper, but we'er desperately looking for full time Mac tech

Sorry if this improper, but we'er desperately looking for full time Mac tech
AdamDZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 12:06 PM

I apologize if this is improper. Please delete of move if needed. Thank you.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions where to look (we tried Craigslist, no luck) please hint.

I work for a biomedical research facility in New York City and we're looking for a Mac tech, an experienced, real Mac geek (not a PC tech with "some" Mac experience) for a full time support position, large institution, really decent job, decent salary and benefits, cool work environment. We're getting tons of resumes from PC/Windows techs and we're having really hard time filling the position. I'm getting tired with the lack of results from HR and head hunters so I'm doing this search of my own, unofficially, therefore I can't name the institution for legal reasons. The candidate must live in New York City or outer Boroughs within reasonable distance from East Midtown. For more information please contact me at: adam.anon at gmail.com. Just a casual email please, no CVs at this time. Do not post your emails here, send me an email.

Thank you!
Adam

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2007, 12:10 PM

I hope you find someone, its always nice to hear of jobs for Mac nerds

-Owl

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I'm totally surprised how hard it is to find one (3 months now). HR and head hunters must be looking in the wrong places, the market is saturated with MS and Cisco certified techs who claim they know Macs but if I ask them what DiskWarrior is they don't know. I mean, there ought to be people like myself out there. It's like getting paid for doing your hobby

Adam

Cold Warrior
Aug 4, 2007, 12:25 PM

Good luck. Personally, I think most HR people are good at the big muscle movements, but plucking a diamond needle from the haystack is not within their grasp. (How's that for mixed metaphors?) It requires too much attention to detail, and too much specialized knowledge. Instead, they collect generic, juiced-up CV's, and forward them to hiring officials.

Just my 2 cents.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Aug 4, 2007 at 12:41 PM. )

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 12:28 PM

You're absolutely correct, that exactly what has been happening for the past few months...

Adam

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 12:56 PM

Ha, it's like anti-spam! This might be a good place to find your person.

And by the way, stick around, it gets fun sometimes in here.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 12:59 PM

I know I've been reading this and MacFixit forums for years just never bothered to sign up. I used to hang out mostly on Accelerate Your Mac forums until Mike god fed up and shut them down.

Adam

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 02:36 PM

Too bad you're not looking in Seattle. I'd fit the bill. I've been looking for a new job for about two years now and haven't found anything that I'd want to apply for.
Vandelay Industries

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Too bad you're not looking in Seattle. I'd fit the bill. I've been looking for a new job for about two years now and haven't found anything that I'd want to apply for.
You might be in luck. I might be leaving my Mac IT job in Seattle and they will be looking for a replacement. I should know whether or not I am leaving in the next few days.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2007, 04:00 PM

Maybe in three years when I graduate, but right now, the college of LAS at UIUC has me as their Mac tech...

iM@k
Senior User
Aug 5, 2007, 12:41 AM

Check your private messages
What, me worry?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2007, 12:49 AM

I've asked for a "Job Postings" section to the 'NN Forums quite a few times....I think threads like this are excellent.

Mel O. Drahmatik
Banned
Aug 5, 2007, 10:28 AM

PC techs who say they have "mac experience" are full of drama. They don't know much of OS X or Macs, don't know anything of sudo and are hoping you'll hire them and pay them to figure it out from scratch.

Good luck with the drama of this.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2007, 11:11 AM

Move to Boston and you can hire me.

I might know a few people in the NY area, I'll see what I can dig up.

Meantime, might want to check out the Apple Consultant's Network. You could definitely find a good contractor, might be able to find someone who's interested in going full-time.

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 02:17 PM

Wow, between here and Ars I got four responses and all out of state Is Mac Tech a dying breed??? Oh, guys pls don't send me private messages just email me off the bat at adam.anon at gmail.com.

Yeah, we're got offers from contractors, temp agencies (specializing in design as if they didn't even read the job posting), even interns And yeah we can spot those PC Techs with "lots of Mac experience" right away. I mean I respect them, some of them were really good and were offered jobs by other departments that were PC-centric, but we want a MacHead, dang... someone who can chmod and chown and make disk images without having to explain them that there is no Ghost for Mac. Ay...

A.

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I've asked for a "Job Postings" section to the 'NN Forums quite a few times....I think threads like this are excellent.
Yeah, some forums actually specifically ban job postings.

Adam

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2007, 02:38 PM

Any chance you are hiring a bagel boy? I have never been one, but I'm willing to try. Would you like cream cheese with that?
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

reader50
Administrator
Aug 5, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
Wow, between here and Ars I got four responses and all out of state Is Mac Tech a dying breed???
Your original post has been up little more than a day, on the weekend. I've noticed an interesting trend, that we tend to have more visits during the week. Apparently, people would rather visit during work or school hours. On their own weekend time, they visit less.

Regrettably, I'm out-of-state too. I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet, we have plenty of people who give good technical advice. Give them a bit more time to check in.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 03:23 PM

Have you tried mactalent.com?

Just a thought, not endorsing the site either way.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2007, 05:03 PM

AdamDZ, please send your suggestion to
chuck goolsbee of the mac-mgrs list. They do a job posting once a week.

Mac-Mgrs: List Mom Message

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Your original post has been up little more than a day, on the weekend. I've noticed an interesting trend, that we tend to have more visits during the week. Apparently, people would rather visit during work or school hours. On their own weekend time, they visit less.

Regrettably, I'm out-of-state too. I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet, we have plenty of people who give good technical advice. Give them a bit more time to check in.
Yes, I agree, it is weekend after all

A.

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Have you tried mactalent.com?

Just a thought, not endorsing the site either way.
They require company name and more details and I'm doing this unofficially, I can't use the company name. I will, however, point this out to the administration so they can place an offcial posting there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Adam

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 05:24 AM

Pay for me to move from the UK to NY and i'll take the job

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
Pay for me to move from the UK to NY and i'll take the job
How quickly can you pick up NY accent?

A.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 06:14 PM

Hmmm, yeah. Any chance of relocation assistance? I have about 7 years experience supporting Mac users in a professional environment. NYC's a helluva commute from Newport News, VA though.

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 06:17 PM

No, we actually asked today, trying to pull strings, but no way... the position doesn't come with any relocation assistance and it's not in our power to change this. I wish we could, because I received emails from some excellent candidates from other states willing to move to NY. So, yeah, unfortunately you have to be local

Adam

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 06:38 PM

By the way, the are also webmaster (Dreamweaver, Adobe, Mac/Windows) and web programmer positions available in our organization. I don't know any details (what salary, what programming languages/platforms are involved) but if anyone wants to inquire I'll put you in touch with proper person: email me at adam.anon at gmail.

Adam

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 07:01 PM

Adam,

I suggest just going for a good Unix person. A good Unix person should be easier to find, and anybody that has a non-superficial understanding will have absolutely no problems picking up on the Mac.

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 07:13 PM

We though of that, but good UNIX people usually seek sys admin, webmaster, etc. positions that pay more than this support position has to offer

Adam

MM-o4
Senior User
Aug 6, 2007, 07:31 PM

I need closure on this thread

-MM-

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 07:34 PM

Yeah, I do too

A.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 09:13 PM

You've got mail!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
You've got mail!
Responded promptly

A.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
We though of that, but good UNIX people usually seek sys admin, webmaster, etc. positions that pay more than this support position has to offer

Adam
Why not make the position for a Mac and/or Unix guy, just so you'll be inviting more people under the tent if you are still having difficulties finding good candidates?

AdamDZ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 10:06 PM

I've started getting some emails from New Yorkers, keeping fingers crossed

A.

Forum Links
Forum Rules