Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > does anyone else do watercooling?

does anyone else do watercooling?
u3b3rg33k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 10:49 PM

I have what has evolved into a koolance PC2-901 tower (black, with window), a yosemite Rev1 board, a RADEON (r100), 512 MB PC100 CL2, 650MHz PPC 7410 G4.
And my current heatsink temp (the chip is a little hotter, but not by a lot) is 18C (66F) running dnetc for over 5 hours.
Does anyone else go over to rediculous extremes ?

topsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2004, 07:59 PM

I am making DIY watercooling in to my Yikes! case.

Computer:
Original 350Mhz 7400 @500 Mhz
Voltage mod 2,1 V -> 2,7 V
Peltier cooling, currently cooled with amd boxed heatsink and 80 mm fan.
Processor temperature idle -2'C/ load +6'C

I have already many parts, sicce nova water pump, Peugeot 309 radiator, and copper for processor block. But still I need make that block. I am going to place all parts in to original Powermac case! It's hard, but I think it's possible. So I need to replace old power supply, because my peltier needs 5-6 A current. I have already new fortron power supply, only need to place (and mod) it.

Btw... How it is possible that your heatsink is so cold... Normal room temperature is over 20 'C and your heatsink temp is below it? Is your room so cold (below 18'C)???
Yikes 350@500 with voltage mod &
active cooling

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2004, 11:48 AM

I just installed a water cooler in my PC. The greatest benefit is noise reduction. My PC now runs almost as quiet as my Mac. It runs only a few degrees cooler. It took me about an hour to install.

I found this one:

http://www.maddogmultimedia.com/prod...tercooling.asp

on sale at CompUsa for $99 and decided to give it a try.

I recommend Water Cooling but only for noise reduction. The only way you really are going to get a cooler CPU is to actually chill the water with a refrigeration unit.

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k:
I have what has evolved into a koolance PC2-901 tower (black, with window), a yosemite Rev1 board, a RADEON (r100), 512 MB PC100 CL2, 650MHz PPC 7410 G4.
And my current heatsink temp (the chip is a little hotter, but not by a lot) is 18C (66F) running dnetc for over 5 hours.
Does anyone else go over to rediculous extremes ?

u3b3rg33k  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 01:10 AM

the reason the machine is so cold is that it is in the basement (currently 61F). If you are using a standard ATX powersupply on a Yosemite/Yikes board, read this:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/M...G3_to_ATX.html

I would recommend that you try not to use any aluminum parts in the water cooling system (aluminum forms stringy compounds after a while, nothing serious, but that's why car radiators should be flushed every so often).

I believe my current limitation to speed is either my 250w powersupply, or the bus (grackle/mpc106) becoming to hot. it runs fine at 700Mhz, unless I run Halo, or dnetc. UT2k3 runs fine. Any suggestions?

thanks

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 11:35 AM

One thing I forgot to point out about the Watercooling kit I installed in my PC is that it has two powered components. The Water Pump and the Radiator Fan. They both use System Fan connectors on the motherboard.

I pondered installing it in my Mac. First off it would only be worth it if I can overclock.

Secondly it would need those CPU fan connectors on the motherboard.

Thirdly, there would have to be much more room than is currently available inside my Mac Case. I'd have to transfer the whole thing into a PC Case.

I'd also have to buy another CPU Block and more water line for the second CPU.

Now watercooling my G4 Cubewould be whole other endeavor but would'nt that be cool...?

u3b3rg33k  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 06:38 PM

this is the case I have my mac in:
http://www.koolance.com/products/pro...&category_id=2

it's a nice setup, and will turn off the computer if it ever gets over 53C (trust me, with a mac, you will never get to 53C, unless you unplug the pumps, or have the case in an oven).
For a cube, I would use a koolance exos Al, but i doubt it you could fit anything in that tiny case...

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k:
For a cube, I would use a koolance exos Al, but i doubt it you could fit anything in that tiny case...
I was thinking about keeping all the Cooler components in a seperate Container/Cabinet and just running two water lines to the Cube, a Water Block could fit inside it if the inlets were canted to the side.

Hemi425
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 11:32 PM

I know a buy who's running a wc system in a PC that is overclocked...a lot and still runs at like 6 dergees celcius at full load.
If you listen to a UNIX shell do you
hear the C?

WARNING: The above post was not
checked for spelling or grammical
errors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules