Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Remote Access lock up

Remote Access lock up
curtisn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2000, 09:41 PM

Occaisionally, but often enough to be irritating, when I open up Remote Access to dialup my ISP, my iMac completely locks up. I have to press the reset button on the side.
This happens when an application - like Netscape or Norton Antivirus - needs dial into the internet. I'v done a clean OS 9.04 install, but it happens anyway. Any help with this?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Aug 12, 2000, 08:26 AM

I don't supose you happen to use an Epson printer do you? Along with their notoriously crappy software & drivers?

If so.. then you may well have your answer.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 12, 2000, 02:07 PM

I have seen the Remote Access freeze also. It happens if TWO applications try to dial out at the same time. The solution seems to be to let the first one finish connecting, while stopping all others. Then reconnect all other applications.

This usually happens to me after a modem disconnect. Then two or more apps might try to reconnect at the same time.

curtisn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2000, 09:14 PM

I'm using an Epson Stylus Color 800, which, by the way, is the worst puschase I ever made. What's the connection with Remote Access?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Aug 13, 2000, 06:35 PM

Well, as much as I almost hate to tell you.. Here is another reason why your printer is perhaps the worst purchase you ever made.. There is a well known problem that has exsisted for months with this printer and other similar models. The drivers/software conflict with Remote Access. What would happen with my computer was, The computer would freeze if I attempted to dial up any time after I had printed something. Obviously this required a re-start (Force quitting of apps/finder never really worked either), which was a pain, but after this you could log on just fine and even print stuff and log off again. But as soon as you wanted to print anything without re-starting first, the computer would freeze again.

To my knowledge, there is no fix for this. But if anyone knows of one, Tell me please! My Epson 760 is otherwise a great printer. Albeit with this highly annoying problem.

I think this conflict affects several of the recent edition, Epson USB colour inkjets.

curtisn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2000, 08:22 AM

I'm downloading Epson latest driver software - version 5.6. It is more specifically compatible with OS 9.

iPaul UK
Senior User
Aug 14, 2000, 09:25 AM

Thats what they would like you to believe!

Thing is, if you look on the different Epson websites world wide, there are different versions of the software for the same printer! The US (.com) would appear to have the latest, however, the UK (.co.uk) website has much older versions of the drivers. And just to add to the confusion, the release dates don't seem to relate to the various updates too well either! It's a bit of a mess really..

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear how you get on..

DR
Aug 14, 2000, 10:00 AM

The same thing is happening to me. Has been driving me crazy for months. Thanks for telling me what the problem is caused by. I've got the latest driver update and still the lockups. DR

curtisn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2000, 12:48 AM

Downloaded and installed ver, 5.61 of Epson Mac driver. No improvement.

bojangles
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 09:23 AM

Latest Epson driver, same stupid problem.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules