Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > LVD to Narrow SCSI bus(PM6100)

LVD to Narrow SCSI bus(PM6100)
Cruc1an
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2003, 05:50 AM

Hi All,

First lemme preface this by saying I didn't do the research I should have B4 I bought the drive,So I'm actually P/O at myself.

That said, I have to inquire if any of you folks had any sucess using an IBM Ultra160 LVD drive (68 pin ) in a legacy machine with a narrow bus like my PM6100? BTW, my machine has a Newer 240Mhz U/G card.

.. I purchased the IBM Ultra160 (p/n 07N6266) 18 GB, LVD drive from a Price Watch associated site. It has a wide/68pin interface, so I got a 68 to 50pin adapter; ADP-9051 rev/a(by CS Electronics) has passive termination. I set the drive to enable autospin, situated it in the compartment and booted up from a HD Toolkit 4.5 CD.
The drive was recognized, set to be a bootable disk and quick formated it to HFS+. I restarted and installed MacOS 9.0. After the installation, the drive would not boot to OS9. I even removed the Newer 240Mhz U/G card I have installed.

This is how my other hardware is configured:
CDR-W HP9200i at SCSI ID-1 has active term jumper removed.

Zip drive Iomega at SCSI ID-5 has term. set to 'on'.

What I have found at Hitachi Storage site is that LVDs have termination issues when connected to a narrow bus. And it seems like I need active termination built into a convertor / adapter... The trouble is, I cant seem to find anything like that in a 68 to 50pin configuration.

If you like, See "Narrow (50 pin) devices SHOULD NOT be ... without termination." at this page:
<http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/rma/ckscsmac.htm>

Also see "Low Voltage Differential (LVD)...the SCSI bus." at his page:
<http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/rma/lvdnotes.htm>

HELP(If you can)!!!! and thanx in advance,
Cruc1an

nerd
Senior User
Feb 23, 2003, 11:56 AM

The first thing I could think of is to see if the IBM drive has a jumper to force it to single ended mode. If it does put a jumper on it. I would then try to put the drive in the middle of the chain and use say your Zip or CDROM at the end of the chain and use the termination that is built into one of those.

Hope that works.

Brad

Coldwater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2003, 01:01 PM

I'm not familiar with your Mac model, but I assume that the CD and the HD are on the same bus = 0 A couple of things to try if Brads suggestion doesn't workout. In the

HDST- tune up options - Check the two boxs that say Disable wide and Disable Sync Transfers. In the J6 block I put a jumper on disable unit attention
You can get what you are looking for at
http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg01_adapters.htm

Or here
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_adapters.html
Think what you need is at the top portion of the page, first box.

Both places will help you out and both return e-mailed questions about their product

Is this the only hard drive now? How far does it get in the boot process? Is it seen in the Startup Disk control panel?

jasonyates
Feb 24, 2003, 02:37 AM

I have run the same drives both on the internal SCSI bus and with a SCSI card. Check OWC (eshop.macsales.com), they have information and links to the right jumper settings and whatnot in their support section.

-Jason

Cruc1an  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 02:50 AM

Back Again...

Thanx for all the info. Granite Digital was helpful, but a suggestion was offered there that made me uncomfortable. It was said that if my drive was an IBM it could have an EPROM that was incompatible with my older Power Mac.

Booting from the middle of the chain hasn't been successful. Yet It still shows up on the desktop w/o any difficulty. I'd tried booting from the drive externally (termination the end of the chain), and I was unsucessful as well.

There's one thing I need to be sure about since I've never have done it:

With nothing connected externally, must the SCSI connecter (DB25-F) at the back of the computer be terminated?

I'm gonna try try a few more things B4 I try to find someone that can use it.

Again Thanx,
Cru1an

Coldwater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 01:03 PM

Have you run any of the disk utilities available, DiskWarrior,DiskFirst Aid,Tech Tool.Are you sure that OS 9 is really on the disk? Have you reinstalled it?Do you have the upgrade to 9.1?.Can you take the HD to a friends computer and see if it really is a working unit? As far as the termination on the exterior bus goes, as long as nothing is connected, there's nothing to terminate.Good Luck.

randymc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 03:38 PM

I have the same situation, however the adapter that shipped with the drive had a termination pin. I have been booting from this drive since I received it with no problems. Go to the IBM site and download the specs and set up paper on the drive and it will give you pin connections you need.

68 pin drive only-
ps- termination power is supplied to pins 17, 18, 51 and 52 of the 68 pin scsi connector.
J4-Has a termination pin on it.
( Last edited by randymc; Mar 7, 2003 at 03:54 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules