Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Networking 2 macs w/FW: what's the range

Networking 2 macs w/FW: what's the range
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 06:14 PM

I want to connect 2 computers to be able to play video from the other macs HD, but they are a room apart (25ft). Any ideas.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 06:31 PM

Booting the source computer up in FW target mode with a long cable between makes the most sense. Is the video in a file, or do you want to stream it?

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by xtal:
Booting the source computer up in FW target mode with a long cable between makes the most sense. Is the video in a file, or do you want to stream it?
I want to play eyeTV programs on a computer that's in a different room. I would prefer not to go target since that leaves one computer inactive.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
I want to play eyeTV programs on a computer that's in a different room. I would prefer not to go target since that leaves one computer inactive.
why not use ethernet?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
why not use ethernet?
Well, I could but I figured that it may not play well over ethernet. Do you really think that 100bt is fast enough to play video? 802.11b is way too slow.

geekwagon
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 02:24 PM

Well, I could but I figured that it may not play well over ethernet. Do you really think that 100bt is fast enough to play video? 802.11b is way too slow.
Are both computers recent enough to have gigabit ethernet? If you use cat-6 cable I would think that would work... I constantly (several times a day) stream divx encoded video (200mb for 30 minutes of video) over 100mb and it works just fine.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
Are both computers recent enough to have gigabit ethernet? If you use cat-6 cable I would think that would work... I constantly (several times a day) stream divx encoded video (200mb for 30 minutes of video) over 100mb and it works just fine.
No, both retired work computers that are reduced to home/family systems and are pre-gigabit (Ti500 and G4-466).

Oh well, I may have go with s-video and rcas under the house to my directly to my home entertainment center. http://www.smarthome.com has some great stuff for setting up muliple room entertainment.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 08:43 PM

If you have 100BT you will be fine. I regularly stream DV from another computer in my house without a hitch.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
If you have 100BT you will be fine. I regularly stream DV from another computer in my house without a hitch.
I agree. On the technical side, DV requires 3.9 MB/s (I hope I remember correctly), and 100base-T ethernet provides a maximum theoretical speed of 12.5 MB/s.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2003, 10:10 PM

Thanks, 10baseT sounds like the cheapest way to go. While I'm under the dreaded house I'll probably send S-video and RCA wire as well. Not looking forward to the dusty crawling job though.

FYI: I tried a wireless 2.4GHz PC to TV product (PC a term they use for "personal computer" and is Mac friendly - it acually uses no sw). Unfortunatly it didn't send clean video and audio. Would've been cool though.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2003, 01:49 AM

Thanks, 10baseT sounds like the cheapest way to go. While I'm under the dreaded house I'll probably send S-video and RCA wire as well. Not looking forward to the dusty crawling job though.

FYI: I tried a wireless 2.4GHz PC to TV product (PC a term they use for "personal computer" and is Mac friendly - it acually uses no sw). Unfortunatly it didn't send clean video and audio. Would've been cool though.
I'd recommend going with 100 base-T ethernet instead. All the cable nowdays is CAT5e which is 100 base-T, and I'd recommend a 100 base-T hub/router/switch or whatever you're getting. Although if you are going to run 100 Mbit cable, replacing the hub/router/switch in the future would be a lot easier than running new cable.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 02:04 PM

I decided that I'm going to run 2 lines of CAT5. I found some in wall faceplates and plugs that convert CAT5 to S-video to give me the option to run video straight to my big screen TV from my Mac in the other room or stream to my PowerBook then to the TV. I have a bunch of CAT5 labeled cable. Not sure if it is CAT5e. Is there a difference?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 12:43 PM

I have a bunch of CAT5 labeled cable. Not sure if it is CAT5e. Is there a difference?
CAT5e is a better cable than CAT5. Here's a better explanation.

parkds
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 11:03 PM

Firewire speed drop VERY fast if the cable is longer than 15 feet. Sometimes this is a real problem for video editors. I know that to solve this issue there are companies that sell a little box with 2 female firewire connectors. The box essentially acts a power boost to help keep the signal going. I personally don't 100% trust this solution. Plus it would be very expensive. I agree with what people are saying here...try cat5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules