Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Alternatives to iChat A/V so i can chat with Windows users

Alternatives to iChat A/V so i can chat with Windows users
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2003, 06:51 PM

Anyone with positive expericne using software that works with OS X and iSight (or other FW camera), over a DSL PPPoE 802.11 set-up? I want to use it with my cousin who uses Windows.

unimaxium
Aug 3, 2003, 08:12 PM

I don't have any experience, but I think Yahoo! Messenger will work for what you want. I remember people complaining that it doesn't work with iSight but I think I also heard a way to get it working. You might want to check MacOSXHints.com to get iSight to work with Yahoo messenger.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 08:15 PM

unimaxium
Aug 3, 2003, 08:19 PM

Actually never-mind that about MacOSXHints.com, I just checked there and couldn't find anything about iSight with Yahoo messenger. But I'm still pretty sure there's a way to get the two working together if they don't normally.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 02:39 AM

I was able to run Yahoo messenger with my iSight right away, without any modifications or trouble.

One thing I didn't like...the video source with messenger is just "Default video" and I couldn't change it. So it kept using my iBot instead of the iSight. So I just have to restart Messenger with the iBot unplugged, and it switched to the iSight on its own.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules