Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...
JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2004, 12:58 AM

Anyone see this movie yet? I just got home from viewing the flick. I thought it was pretty spectacular. Then again, I love movies that actually makes one think instead of having it just handed to ya. But, I really enjoyed it. Well acted, well written. I'd be curious to hear other's opinions of the flick...

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2004, 01:21 AM

My boyfriend and I were supposed to see it last night, but the bastards made him work overtime. It looks like a really good movie.

I could pass on Jim Carrey's comedies, but the (semi)serious roles he's played have been amazing, The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, The Majestic...
DBGFHRGL!

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 12:59 PM

to be honest the movie instantly became top five all time in my book, hands down.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2004, 01:09 PM

First up on my list is Bubba Ho-Tep (an elderly mummy versus an ancient Egyptian Pharoh?!?! ROCK!).

However, I've been waiting for this flick since I saw the trailer a couple months ago, and some friends have given great reviews.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2004, 04:00 PM

Just saw it last night - loved it. It's definitely on my coveted, prestigious Preorder-On-DVD-The-Moment-It's-Possible list.

I can pretty much write a plot summary for any movie 5 minutes into it these days - this one I think took me about 25-35 minutes before I had a firm grasp on what was going on. And the execution of it was top-notch - the special effects didn't get in-your-face, they merely added to the story, just like a good special effect should. That gets an A+ in my book
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2004, 12:11 AM

If you don't like this movie, you don't have any taste.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2004, 02:33 AM

I've yet to see anybody say anything negative about this movie... Perhaps I really should try to make a bit of an effort to see it...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2004, 04:54 AM

Michel Gondry is teh rule

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 01:37 PM

just saw it, and i was really impressed how well they avoided the cyclical "groundhog day" black hole.

i loved it, and was totally blown away by the lighting. go see this movie, especially in the theater.

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2004, 02:18 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but plan to. My cousin is in it so want to see it because of that.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 02:24 PM

First time in a long time that I've gone to a movie and didn't walk out feeling ripped off.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Mar 23, 2004 at 02:31 PM. )

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 05:48 PM

yeah, I havent felt this good since Being John Malchevich or Adaptation. Huh? Probably because all three were written by Charlie Kaufman?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
yeah, I havent felt this good since Being John Malchevich or Adaptation. Huh? Probably because all three were written by Charlie Kaufman?
Yep! Great writer! Probably one of the best (if not THE best) in the industry today. I can't wait to see this one. I just need some time!

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 07:32 PM

I loved this movie and Being John Malkovich, but I wasn't all that impressed with Adaptation. I felt somewhat cheated that he resorted to ending the movie in exactly the same manner he was denouncing throughout the film. I can see why he did it, but I don't agree with the decision.

boardsurfer
Mar 23, 2004, 08:23 PM

Could someone tell me why this movie is rated R? Is it just language or nudity, what? And if either of those, is it gratuitous and unnecessary or just in line with the show? Thanks.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 08:27 PM

language

once upon a time, i heard that if "f*ck" is said more than three times it is an R rating on the language basis. i dont think there was any nudity. and if there was, it was nothing memorable.

1|v|4935
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2004, 08:29 PM

I am curious. Am am supposed to feel like **** at the end or happy?

boardsurfer
Mar 23, 2004, 08:54 PM

thanks Dan

wolfen
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
It's a unique writing perspective he's got, no doubt. But Adaptation was basically a 2 hour admission that he had no idea how to write the story. Dunno how impressed I should be with that. "And then I sucked so bad I had to get my brother to help me..." I mean. I think he's probably glorilously at his off-rocker best when allowed to do his own thing.

However, I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to this picture. Can't wait to see it, hopefully this weekend.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

CobraMantis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2004, 10:12 PM

Absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed it so much that I just had to see it a second time (something I very rarely do). One of my all-time favorites.

boardsurfer
Mar 24, 2004, 12:33 PM

That was a damn good movie. I love the internal perspective. The scene late in the movie with Joel talking to Clementine in the bookstore was just...so subtle yet...sort of.. moving.

You have to see this movie.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 07:21 PM

you know what? I felt like **** too at the end. So I saw it again, and still like ****. Not because the movie lacked anything, but because I want to be in love again. You know what I mean? Nothing really compares. And when they listen to the tapes... my heart almost stopped. once again, so moving... so moving... I love you all

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2004, 09:51 PM

Two thumbs up! If I had more thumbs I'd hold them up too! Everything about it was superb!

Samurai, I know what you mean about wanting to fall in love after seeing this movie. I was feeling it in the theatre too - I even shed a couple of tears because it was so d*mn romantic.

I want to see it again, but I think I'll save the money for the DVD.

This movie better win an academy award for best picture.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2004, 10:21 PM

That feeling of "You don't know what you have until you lose it, even if she is a drunk bitch" sank in my heart, very heavily.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 11:09 PM

What was so touching for me was the chase.

Reminded me of something like:

"For what was once lost..."

I felt it was really moving. I am thankful for the experience and I will repeat it again.

I got the soundtrack as well and it is pretty too. Not the best movie ever, imho, but a very nice experience indeed!
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 07:12 PM

yeah, i mean how do we even go about finding love? Is it our job to look for it? I dont know...

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 29, 2004, 02:22 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 01:22 AM. )

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 02:54 AM

you think kaufman is unoriginal? what planet you from?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 29, 2004, 03:03 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 01:22 AM. )

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 03:16 AM

yeah and its all from his original standpoint. Adaptation and being john malchevich both had his original input as well. I think he is one of our greatest screenplay writers. Sorry if you didnt enjoy it that much.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 12:43 PM

saw it on saturday night, and the whole group of 9 thought it was excellent. and in fact it may warrant a re-seeing...

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
it may warrant a re-seeing...
I saw it the second time yesterday (I couldn't wait for the dvd, lol). It was even better than the first! It's the first movie I've ever watched more than once in the theatre, so it goes to show you how much I like it

I wish the four people who walked out yesterday (and two the day before when I saw it the first time) had enjoyed it as much as I did though. Pity. I guess they were expecting a "Jim Carrey" comedy

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 06:47 PM

intend to go and see it....

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules