Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express Availability

Airport Express Availability
stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 07:30 PM

Does anyone know If airport express is available at the apple stores? Particularly S.F.

thanks.

PS: If the airport xpress is shipping, how come it says in 3-4 weeks. the G5 dual 2.5's arent shipping and it has an even shorter date.

dennisbolt
Jul 16, 2004, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I was wondering how they can say "NOW SHIPPING" and then when I order it says that the estimated ship date is Aug. 13!! Yikes

drainyoo
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by stwain2003:
Does anyone know If airport express is available at the apple stores? Particularly S.F.

thanks.

PS: If the airport xpress is shipping, how come it says in 3-4 weeks. the G5 dual 2.5's arent shipping and it has an even shorter date.
I called my local Apple store in SOHO, NYC and I was told to call back in 3-5 business days. How can the retail stores not have them yet? Sometimes Apple makes me wonder.
i hate project managers.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 06:07 PM

None at the Dallas (Plano) Store.

chromos
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2004, 10:08 PM

thanks.

Nope, I went to the SF store today and the sales associate said "Any day now". They don't have a wait list, so I guess you have to get there as fast as possible once they arrive. He did seem sure though, that they would get a lot in on the first shipment.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 11:13 PM

Apple probably won't have them for general sale until August. There are a ton of backorders that haven't shipped yet from the preorders.

oreo75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 04:14 PM

They still haven't finished shipping the US pre-orders & the europe pre-orders are starting to ship on the 30th July. So I'd think that it would be August before the stores get them.

jmonty12
Jul 19, 2004, 04:30 PM

I found 3 of them in my local CompUSA today (Santa Rosa, CA.) This is very much a bummer for me, because I'm still waiting on my order to be filled.

neps
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 04:43 PM

They just got them in at the Apple Store in SOHO NYC, just picked up mine as well. Would say there was a ton (hundred?), behind both counters and on the floor shelves.

stwain2003  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by jmonty12:
I found 3 of them in my local CompUSA today (Santa Rosa, CA.) This is very much a bummer for me, because I'm still waiting on my order to be filled.
They have 3 at Santa Rosa?!!! SCore!!!!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 09:39 PM

i just got back from tampa, florida branch with one now.

jmonty12
Jul 20, 2004, 01:07 AM

They have 3 at Santa Rosa?!!! SCore!!!!
Well then, hopefully you got one of the three I saw.

I decided to call Apple and ask why mine had not shipped yet. Normally I would just wait, but Apple had just sent me an email last week apologizing for the delayed shipment and said that I could be sure they were sending orders out in the order they were ordered. (Okay, I'm sure they said it without saying the word "order" so much in the same sentence!) Anyway, I was alright with the delay but when I saw an Airport Express on a shelf in the store for anyone to purchase, I wanted to complain. After being on hold with Apple for about 20 minutes I found out that miraculously my express had just shipped (although the web site "order status" screen did not show this yet.) I didn't actually get an opportunity to complain -- the person on the phone took my order number and after a few seconds said it had just shipped -- but I felt a little like my having called caused me to move to the top of some list and get one immediately. Could have been a coincidence, I just don't know.

Long story short, I should get it by Wednesday! Yeah!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2004, 03:04 PM

I called the Mall of America store several times last week and stopped in on Saturday. They didn't have them. I used their online reservation thing and they called me yesterday to tell me they got them in so I went to the Mall and picked it up. Works well too, but my real use of it will be when I go back to school in the fall.

aabbas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 07:58 PM

I just ordered a couple from CompUSA, they say they're going to ship tonight or tomorrow.

Alex

porieux
Baninated
Jul 21, 2004, 08:53 PM

So do all Apple Stores pretty much have them now?

losta
Jul 21, 2004, 10:13 PM

Apple stores had them this week but I think they went out the door pretty fast. I was at my local apple store Monday morning and I picked up three. I went back to get something else Tuesday afternoon and they told me they went like hotcakes. One guy bought 20.
Thanks in advance.

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 11:07 AM

Amazon.com seems to be delaying all of their shipments. I placed my order on June 24.

Finally, I've found an ecommerce site that handles slipped ship dates even worse than the Apple store:

eScrib
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 11:45 AM

The Apple Store on Michigan Ave. (Chicago) has a bunch.

Heading down there during lunch.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 07:46 PM

Got mine at CompUSA in Lewisville, TX.

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2004, 11:42 AM

AIS Computers in Atlanta, GA had a few this Friday. Probably won't last the next week, though.

Iron Lung Ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 09:58 AM

Hey everyone - I am actually happy which is a very strange feeling for me to have during the day while I am at work. I just checked my order status for my AEx which I do a couple times a day just out of habit and was shocked to see that it had shipped despite the date they gave me of on or before 8/12/2004 -

Well anyway I ordered it the day that it began shipping, not a preorder, I think it was July 16th or so - and I called apple to cancel it a few days later since I didnt want to wait almost a month. They convinced me to keep my order open by giving me a 5% discount off of the student price that I already had. A couple more days went by and I was ready to cancel my order again - so I sent apple an email saying I was going to cancel my order if they didn't bump me up to the top of the list - I don't know if any of this actually sped anything up - but I'm happy to see that it left Taiwan Monday night and should be at my house Wednesday morning, or is it Thursday? I don't know whats going on with these time zones.

My plan is to take the airport express with me to work and use it to get wireless at work on the wired network, also at friends houses. I bring my powerbook, ipod, digital camera with me everyday do you think bringing the AEx with me will be easy? and should the setup be very simple? thanks!
Apple Cult member since 7/26/03

Iron Lung Ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 09:22 AM

- I don't know if any of this actually sped anything up - but I'm happy to see that it left Taiwan Monday night and should be at my house Wednesday morning, or is it Thursday? I don't know whats going on with these time zones.

This is an amazing time we live in. Tuesday morning my AEx leaves Taiwan and now it's Wednesday morning it just got delivered to my house in Lexington, KY. for 13 dollars a package can go literally halfway around the world in about 30 hours. Awesome. Now I'm gonna drive home during my lunch break and go pick it up and play with it at work - about 80 minutes round trip, all this and i have about a gallon of gas. man im excited. im in geek heaven.
Apple Cult member since 7/26/03

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 03:39 PM

aaargh...
ordered mine from macmall (who i do a lot of business with).
promised shipment "around the 26th", but as of today (the 30th), nothing shipped yet.
oh well, another weekend of being tethered to the stereo... (!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

macndave
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2004, 10:05 AM

The Tysons Corner, Mclean, Virginia Apple Store has the Airport Express available. I purchased one last night, Friday, July 30. I didn't ask how many the store had for sale. But earlier in the day, when I called to check availablity I was told they were in stock. I asked if one could be put on reserve, the salesperson said there wouldn't be a problem having one when I arrived.

I replaced my original graphite basestation (which has been running non-stop, short of restarting for updates, since December 1999), used the same settings and was up and running in just a few minutes. It took longer for my PowerBook to restart than it did to reconfigure the Express (conveniently named "Media Center").

As I type, I am listening to music streaming from the PowerBook to a JVC sound system. I am using Sailing Clicker to control the music and volume via bluetooth. The Clicker software has been updated to allow you to see all the songs in your playlist or library. Very nice, though a bit time consuming to scroll through a very large library (excess of 4000 songs). Nonetheless, this will work well until Apple or a third-party comes out with a remote.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 10:15 AM

I was up here at Futureshop in downtown Vancouver yesterday.

Walked up to a sales clerk doing the end of his (awful) sales pitch of the mini to a young couple and asked him if Futureshop was going to also be selling the Airport Express.

I get back a totally blank look and he asks, "Airport Express? What is that? I've never even heard of that...".

Needless to say, I'm waiting for my order from Apple Store to be filled.

Cheers.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

mattcass
Aug 2, 2004, 01:27 AM

I guess I ordered my Airport from the online store about 2 weeks ago and it shipped on the 29th. Fellow Vancouverite here.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 07:05 PM

Rainy day today here after many weeks of sunshine.

Of course, the weather is offset by the fact that my order placed on the 16th by phone was shipped on the 29th according to /orderstatus.

Just waiting now for the the order to show up on the delivery company's package tracking database.

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Needless to say, I'm waiting for my order from Apple Store to be filled.

Cheers.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

agentz
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 04:28 PM

Well I received my AE today, not quite three weeks after ordering it from www.microwarehouse.co.uk

The real bummer is that I can't really test it out just now - moving house on Monday and stereo and everything all packed away
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules