Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > G5-like PC cases

G5-like PC cases
codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 09:39 AM

So, even though I'm a diehard mac user, all my friends build custom gaming PC's. Lately I've been thinking of building one myself to go next to my G5. But if I do, I want it to match, as closely as possible. I've asked around, searched on the net, and while it is possilbe, most people say it's not worth the trouble to build a PC into a G5 case. Too much modding is needed. So I figure I'll just find a PC case that looks like a G5. But so far I have not found one that looks similar enough for my tastes.

Does anyone know of any good G5-like PC cases? There's got to be some real close ones out there. The PC world has been ripping off Apple for years....

:XI:
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by codywalton
So, even though I'm a diehard mac user, all my friends build custom gaming PC's. Lately I've been thinking of building one myself to go next to my G5. But if I do, I want it to match, as closely as possible. I've asked around, searched on the net, and while it is possilbe, most people say it's not worth the trouble to build a PC into a G5 case. Too much modding is needed. So I figure I'll just find a PC case that looks like a G5. But so far I have not found one that looks similar enough for my tastes.

Does anyone know of any good G5-like PC cases? There's got to be some real close ones out there. The PC world has been ripping off Apple for years....
PC world ripping off the mac? BAD!
A PC that matches your G5 as closely as possible? GOOD!

Nice double standard.

iDu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 11:18 AM

Lian-Li makes many Aluminum enclosures, but at a price. This one is closest to the G5 without getting some cheesy, cheap case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112055

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
May 24, 2005, 11:53 AM

So, even though I'm a diehard mac user, all my friends build custom gaming PC's. Lately I've been thinking of building one myself to go next to my G5. But if I do, I want it to match, as closely as possible. ...
Any you would want that ... why? Yuck.

If you want to make your buddies turn green with shame and envy, get a Shuttle ST20G5, stick an FX-55 or a 4000+, 2 1GB sticks of fast RAM and an ATI X800XT PE/X850XT PE (depending on the case) in there and watch their jaws drop as a computer that is a 1/3rd the size of theirs blows their suitcase-sized boxes out of the water. If you need to show off, hook up 4 monitors to the little guy while you're at it.

If speed is more important than looks, stick the stuff listed above into an SN25P case.

Not to forget the obligatory HD and optical drive, of course ... now if there only was a decent OS that would run on those ...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2005, 12:27 PM

Agreed. Shuttle is rapidly becoming the way to go for desktop peecees.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2005, 12:51 PM

Well, he didn't say price was a factor.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
May 24, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Hence my recommendation for the Shuttle with an $800 FX-55, $500 for two sticks of RAM and a $500 video card.

Eleventy billion™ frames/second and guaranteed to be the ultimate shiznit until, uhm ... let's say until AMDs and Intels dual-cores are being tossed onto the market sometime this summer**.

** - assuming there's going to be games that take advantage of the second core soon thereafter.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
ok... well price IS a factor...price and time and amount of work. Which is why I've ruled out getting a G5 case on ebay and building a PC into it. It CAN be done (http://www.mark-world.com/G5/), but the time and effort and money that go into that make it not worth it to me. So I was hoping to find a G5-like PC case, for a reasonable amout of money. Here are two that are on the top of my list as of now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811164060
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811213006
But I'm hoping to find a better one, that looks even closer to my G5.

The shuttles are nice, but not what I'm looking for, as they are a bit pricey, and don't match the general size and shape of a G5.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 01:31 PM

Good luck on your search, wishing you success.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

meelk
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Agreed. Shuttle is rapidly becoming the way to go for desktop peecees.
...only not.

meelk
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 03:54 PM

ok... well price IS a factor...price and time and amount of work. Which is why I've ruled out getting a G5 case on ebay and building a PC into it. It CAN be done (http://www.mark-world.com/G5/), but the time and effort and money that go into that make it not worth it to me. So I was hoping to find a G5-like PC case, for a reasonable amout of money. Here are two that are on the top of my list as of now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811164060
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811213006
But I'm hoping to find a better one, that looks even closer to my G5.

The shuttles are nice, but not what I'm looking for, as they are a bit pricey, and don't match the general size and shape of a G5.
Get the lian li you were recommended. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112055 )
Its a MUCH nicer enclosure. Youll be glad you did it.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 01:42 PM

Chenbro, Koolance, V-Tech, and Xoxide all make pretty good clones of the G5 tower. Also you might want to check out the Lian-Li PC-V1000. Not exactly a "clone" of the G5 tower in that it doesn't have the handles, but it does have a very G5-ish look and an innovative cooling design. With the constraints of the ATX form factor, I think the Lian-Li is very well-done.

milhous
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 02:33 PM

if you've never built a pc before, don't even bother. check out the prices from the pc makers before you decide what to do and plus, they handle all the warranty-related issues for you.
F = ma

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
May 25, 2005, 03:01 PM

... The shuttles are nice, but not what I'm looking for, as they are a bit pricey, and don't match the general size and shape of a G5.
Well, if the Shuttle isn't what you're looking for , that's perfectly fine of course. But they most certainly are not expensive when compared to that Lian-Li monstrosity ... let's see here:
  • Lian-Li case: $210.00
  • Halfway decent mobo: $70.00
  • Power supply: $50.00
  • Halfway decent fans: $40.00
  • Cables: $20.00
That's a total of $390.00. The Shuttle ST20G runs $356.00 at newegg, you don't have to put the stuff together and you'll know for sure those parts will work with each other. So no, Shuttles are not automatically more pricey than a self-built box.

And to get serious here for a sec, do you really believe you're going to find a $50 case for a PC that looks exactly like the case of a $2000 computer? I don't mean to be rude or anything but that does sound a bit naive.

( Last edited by effgee; May 26, 2005 at 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot the power supply, tsk, tsk, tsk ...)

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 07:07 PM

If I was building a pc, i would tie a string to the mobo and mount it to the ceiling have the hard drive and optical drive(slot loading) dangling from their power cables and a screen mounted to the wall.ßß

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 06:27 AM

A friend has a PC with the floppy drive hanging out the side of the case by its cable!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules