Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > top 3 concerts you've been to?

top 3 concerts you've been to? (Page 2)
dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 05:35 PM

I remember going to my fair share of concerts, but don't remember enough to rate them.

I remember seeing Yes, it must have been the early 90's, on their "Lets stop suing each other and go on tour instead" tour. I went with my older siblings and even though I liked the music, they were much more into the band. Not knowing the history at the time,I thought it was interesting because there were essentially two bands on stage. I remember in particular that both drummers has their full sets on stage, and there was one point where they were both jamming in the same song. I don't think I've ever seen two drummers jam on stage since then.

I've seen Rush a few times now. I've always enjoyed their music and how tight the three of them are playing on stage. Their new music leaves a lot to be desired, though -- I get the impression every going to their shows tolerates sitting through listening to the new music as the price to hear them do the old tunes again. And watching Neil Peart is like watching two drummers at once.

I also remember going to see Blues Traveler on campus in the mid-90's. That was a good show, too, but we had to leave in the middle because the different varieties of smoke were starting to affect my date.

Since I enjoy a wide variety of music, though, and have friends with a wide variety of tastes, there are a few concerts which I've been to which would make others cringe. Yes, I've been to more than one Billy Joel Concert. I grew up close enough to Long Island that I thought it was required, OK?
And I went to high school with two of the five Midnight Oil fans in the tri-state area, so I went to see them at Jones Beach. The show actually wasn't that bad, if I recall correctly. I believe Mr. Big opened for them. They were bad. People started booing them after a while because they wanted to see the main act.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 05:42 PM

U2 Pop tour
Bush (No Doubt and GooGoo Dolls opened)
Pearl Jam with Ramones opening

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I'm not a big fan of concerts.
I wasn't before seeing Hanson either...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 06:52 PM

Mutual Admiration Society - 2004-08-17 - The Lime Kiln in Lexington, VA
Band members included Sean and Sarah Watkins and Chris Thile of Nickel Creek, Glenn Philips of Toad the Wet Sprocket, John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, and Pete Thomas of Elvis Costello and the Attractions. After the show most of the band came out to the parking lot and performed a quiet acoustic show (which I just happened to be ready for and got most of it on tape - http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d....php?id=17485).

Carbon Leaf - 2002-05-17 - The Lime Kiln in Lexington, VA
Odd that two of my favorites are at the same venue considering how many I've seen over the years. Great set that just blew me away and made me realize how great of a band they really are. http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d...db.php?id=4738

Dave Matthews Band - 1999-06-05 - GTE Amphitheater, VA Beach, VA
I had seen them a back in 94 before they got really huge, but this is by far my favorite show. The set was just awesome. (No archive link cuz DMB's not on there)

All glory to the hypnotoad.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 07:18 PM

Rammstein, Berlin 2005
Technasia, Kassel 2001
Rammstein, Kassel 1997

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
1. Heather Nova-7th house, Pontiac, Michigan 2000
2. 10,000 Maniacs-Fox Theater, Detroit 1990
3. TIED BETWEEN Public Image Limited/Nitzerebb/New Order at Pine Knob Music Theater in Clarkston 1989, MI and the Dead Milkmen at the Nectarine Ballroom in Ann Arbor, MI 1989
Saw New Order, PIL and the Sugar Cubes (or maybe just Bjork) around the same time at Red Rocks in Colorado. While I like(d) New Order and Pil, the concert was... well, it was left off my top 3 list. I had actually forgotten about it. Johnny R was his usual lovable self, and IIRC, got pissed and stormed off stage about 3/4 of the way through their set. Or maybe he just hurled invective at the ticket buying audience. At any rate, it was underwhelming. Obviously you had a much better experience thatn I!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 07:24 PM

I was going to go see Metallica in 2003, but Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were going to be there. If I would have gone, I would be in jail right now for kniving Fred Durst. God those two bands suck. Besides, they would have had alot of St. Anger stuff in their set list, and that is bad. I wouldn't mind seeing Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden at Ozzfest, but there's too much of that modern, crappy metal their. Stuff you see on Headbangers' Ball. Yuck. Nasty second stage crap.

Going to see the Stones in Hershey. Hell yeah, pretty good seats, too!

I really never have the time, the money, or the transportation to go to any. A few I would like to see: AC/DC, Black Sabbath, ELP, Iron Maiden, Jethro Tull, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Rush, and Yes.

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 07:47 PM

For me:

The Wedding Present, Manchester 1991
The Smiths, Newcastle 1987
The Cult, Bradford 1987

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2005, 08:11 PM

some more

simon and garfunkel
paul simon-graceland tour
alice cooper
kiss
boston

boardsurfer
Jul 2, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Saw New Order, PIL and the Sugar Cubes (or maybe just Bjork) around the same time at Red Rocks in Colorado.
Best. Venue. Ever.

/grew up in Golden

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by boardsurfer
Best. Venue. Ever.

/grew up in Golden
Ever been to the Gorge?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
Ever been to the Gorge?
a few times....the cure, neil young and something else but i don't recall what it was....beautiful setting - too bad about the hitler youth security twits....they were not going to let the guy ahead of me in with his insulin kit...drugs you know.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Coldwater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 02:11 AM

Allman Brothers Band - Boston Gardens 1972/73 ?
Steely Dan - Gorge Amphitheatre
Earth, Wind and Fire-Seattle Coliseum
And fourth place holds all the other great bands from the past thirty eight years of going to concerts, some of which I had a hard time remembering where I was or who I was even with.But I had a whole lotta fun.

saltines17
Senior User
Jul 3, 2005, 06:15 AM

U2 10/27/01 MSG, The Decemberists 5/26/05, DMB 7 hours ago

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 06:46 AM

My best would be Sepultura on their Chaos AD tour.

70 minutes on brutal on-stage performance with no "filler". It was no surprise when they threw a bucket of water on Igor to cool him down.

Second I would say is Tool for clinical perfection on stage.

Third is almost embarrassing. Pantera on their Driven tour. Played a lot of Vulgar songs which appreciated the "new level" of distortion. Pity Anselmo is such a butt boy and a crazed fan took care of Diamond D.

For the record Pantera would also be one of the worst concerts I have been to as well - Trendkill was nothing short of complete shite.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2005, 07:27 AM

Björk, Sept. 11, 2001, in Stuttgart, with Orchestra, Matmos, and Inuit choir.

The others vary, but Einstürzende Neubauten in Hamburg in March last year was definitely up there, as was Michelle Shocked some time in 94/95 and Dread Zeppelin in Osaka 1990.

Oh yeah, and Ziggy Marley in Osaka, 1989 or so - the One Bright Day tour. Sensational.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 08:56 AM

Off the top of my head--and in no order (and more than 3):

INXS - Summer 1984, St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit (hot, sweaty, packed--The Swing tour)

Morphine - Fall 1994 (I think), St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit (a Monday night show that wasn't promoted--word of mouth spread and became packed: smoky, smooth, fantastic. Met the band later at a Greektown blues bar)

U2 - November 1984, Fox Theater, Detroit (smallish venue--third row center--Bono and the Edge fifteen feet away)

Mile Davis, Summer 1990, North Seas Jazz Festival, Amsterdam (Miles didn't speak, he just held up cue cards giving names for the soloists--Amstadam rules in so many ways)

Ted Hawkins, Fall 1995 (I think), The Ark, Ann Arbor, MI (Friends had an extra ticket, and I'd not heard of him. Kept the the small crowd enraptured. Had perfect time, and incredible poise)

Big Audio Dynamite, Fall 1989, Harpo's, Detroit (traditionally a metal rock venue, $5 ticket and it was packed. One encore was Prince's 1999)
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2005, 09:07 AM

Forgot also Esbjörn Svensson Trio, Fabrik Hamburg, about four years ago. Final concert of their first big European tour.

nbnz
Senior User
Jul 3, 2005, 11:21 AM

U2 - Cardiff, Wales - June 2005
Supergrass - Wellington, New Zealand - March 2000
Split Enz - Auckland, New Zealand - 1984
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jul 3, 2005, 12:05 PM

Hmm, tough to make it 3. Van Cliburn, Dave Brubeck, Itzhak Perlman, Sonny Rollins, Alfred Brendel.

Unfortunately I never had the chance to see Rage or Tool in concert or I'm sure they'd be up there. :-/ Maybe Iron Maiden will soon be up there come Ozzfest. :-)
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Railroader
Banned
Jul 3, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Saw New Order, PIL and the Sugar Cubes (or maybe just Bjork) around the same time at Red Rocks in Colorado. While I like(d) New Order and Pil, the concert was... well, it was left off my top 3 list. I had actually forgotten about it. Johnny R was his usual lovable self, and IIRC, got pissed and stormed off stage about 3/4 of the way through their set. Or maybe he just hurled invective at the ticket buying audience. At any rate, it was underwhelming. Obviously you had a much better experience thatn I!

Yes, I forgot the Sugar Cubes were there. Must have been the same tour. Lydon kept mostly restrained and did a good show. New Order ROCKED though. It was quite inspiring.

CORRECTION: Nitzerebb wasn't there. They toured with Depeche Mode the following year and I had them confused with the Sugar Cubes. it has been 15-16 years. Memory slip.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by philm
For me:

The Smiths, Newcastle 1987
holy sh1t.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2005, 01:53 PM

Back in my uni days (late 1980), I had the chance to see Bon Jovi. Good concert but the best part was when one of my roomies who worked concert security said the band was going to play a bar in my hometown anonymously. Me and this chick skipped classes that day and drove in and saw the band with about 30 other people.
Up close and personal and quite stripped down. They didn't do any of their stuff and were chatting with the people at the bar and having beers and stuff. Quite a cool experience. I'ev met a number of singers and bands professionally since, either in interviews or backstage but that was the first time and was pretty neat. Not your typical concert experience.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 03:17 PM

Thinking it over, actually the best concert that I ever attended was at a college listening to Pete Seeger around 1957. For you younguns, I include the following

"All of this caught the attention of the House Un-American Activities Committee, and he was called before them in 1955. He cited the First Amendment and declined to speak. He was sentenced to jail for a year, and though he only served four days, he was still blacklisted and was unable to appear on radio or TV for seventeen years. McCarthyism had yet another victim.

In the meantime, he continued to travel, playing at universities and festivals, and performing benefits for the civil rights, union and peace movements. Vietnam offered another opportunity for his involvement in the social and politcal life of America. With such names as Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, he became a highly vocal opponent to the United States' involvement in the war, which did much to boost his popularity with the rising hippie youth movement in the 60s.

He is still best known for both writing and performing many protest songs. His best-known songs include If I had a Hammer, We Shall Overcome, Little Boxes and Where Have all the Flowers Gone. Although he did not write all these songs himself ('Little Boxes', for example was written by Malvina Reynolds), he is neverthless remembered for them. His songs and performances alone would be enough to have made him a legend, but the influence he has had on the folk and protest music of America goes much further - many, including Bob Dylan, have credited him as a source of inspiration."

That concert and others were protests against the government. sam

jersey
Senior User
Jul 3, 2005, 06:36 PM

hmmm......

Nirvana - In Utero tour ON HALLOWEEN. jus a few months before he shot himself
NIN w/ David Bowie (and the othe zillion times i've seen them)
RATM @ the same place i saw nirvana
floyd in 94
roger waters alone in like 98?-ish- ... but then i got to have dinner with him after the show wihch was awesome.

thats the tops for now.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 06:42 PM

Hall & Oates*
Journey*
REO Speedwagon*

All at Pine Knob/DTE in Detroit.

My friends and I would usually go to these washup shows and get $5 lawn seats. Although these aren't the greatest bands in the world, the overall experience was more fun than any other concert I've been to. *Alot of alcohol was involved.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 3, 2005, 06:46 PM

Saw Pink Floyd's "The Wall" when it came out. It was weird man.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Saw Pink Floyd's "The Wall" when it came out. It was weird man.
The movie in 1982?

Or the stage show in 1980?

budster101
Baninated
Jul 3, 2005, 07:34 PM

Movie 1982. I was a Junior in High School.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2005, 07:44 PM

i was at the stage show...mind blowing

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 10:40 PM

These are the concerts at which I had the most fun:

1) Beach Boys - 1985 (Great for many reasons - 5th row center; hooked up with some hot chick sitting directly in front of us; my buddy scammed the tickets over the phone by calling the venue and posing as an electronic ticket systems sales rep from "Golden Earring Ticket Sales" showing systems to sellers in the area - way funny, can't believe he pulled it off. At age 16 no less!)
2) David Bowie - 1988, I think (8th row center main floor. Went with girl who is now my wife)
3) Pet Shop Boys - 1996 (shook hands with Neil Tennant)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 10:56 PM

1. Pink Floyd - Madison Square Garden NYC, 3 nights in a row.
2. Rolling Stones - Shea Stadium, NY
3. Wings - Madison Square Garden NYC. Front row seats.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 11:41 PM

in no particular order.

Herbie Hancock at Carnagie Hall, Dave Liebman at the Birdland, and when I played at Toads Place in New Haven.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 12:00 AM

The Cure 1995
Violent Femmes 1996
Primus 1993
Bad Religion 2003

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 12:28 AM

That's four!

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 12:49 AM

Pink Floyd - Animals Tour
Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs and Enlishman Tour
Allman Brothers - free concert in the quad at my Uni

... and prior to all these many enjoyable nights at the original Fillmore in San Francisco.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 12:52 AM

Was Violent Femmes a concert or just an experience at one? Then you have 3.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2005, 02:43 AM

1. Fugazi in Boston a couple years ago.
2. Any of the multiple times i've seen the Dillinger Escape Plan.
3. No other bands stick out as much..

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 05:45 AM

Grandmaster Flash (Germany, 1990?)
Lenny Kravitz (Munich, 1991? - shook hands with Lenny)
U2 (Mexico City, 1997)
The Prodigy (Munich, 1999?)
Muse (Hamburg, 2004)
( Last edited by badidea; Jul 5, 2005 at 10:29 AM. )

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 07:25 AM

Morrissey (with New York Dolls), Apollo Theatre, 2004
U2 (with Sugarcubes and Public Enemy), BC Place, 1993
Lush (with Weezer). Manhattan Ballroom, 1994
The Verve, Showbox, 1997
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 09:41 AM

- Misfits 25th Anniversary Tour (traveled around the country watching them) with Impotent Sea Snakes and The Independents: saw the shows in New York City, Chicago, New Orleans and Detroit.

- GWAR at Harpos followed by The Meatmen downtown later that night at St. Andrews (Detroit).

- Metallica, Danzig, Suicidal Tendencies at Pine Knob followed by the show at Ionia knee deep in the mud/rain.

DarwinX
Jul 5, 2005, 09:46 AM

Our Lady Peace x2
The Guess Who with BTO

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 09:59 AM

tool - Lateralus. Greatest show imaginable. Was powerful and visceral, ascended to levels that concerts have never been been before.
APC - Lots of fun, very relaxed and a smallish venue.
tool - Ænima, first exposure to tool.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 10:49 AM

Deep Purple
James Gang (Joe Walsh pre Eagles)
YES / Allman Brothers

gfitzy

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 12:48 PM

3. Ozzfest -'97 (Tool headlined the main stage, but Fear Factory kicked it hard on the second stage)
2. 311 - '03 Fleet Boston Pavilion (Some wussy emo bands opened but it was a solid show nonetheless)
1. The Mars Volta - May '05 (Sick and insane show that has rekindled my love of rock, if you have a chance to see this band live please do)

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2005, 12:52 PM

In this order:

1. Kraftwerk
2. Sade
3. Depeche Mode

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 01:56 PM

head automatica 2004
soundgarden (last show before they broke up...it was amazing!!)
smoke out 2000 (system of a down hadn't sold out yet and were incredible!)

**honorable mention
glassjaw at hob in anaheim, 2003
mars volta at the greek, 2005
arcade fire and david byrne at the hollywood bowl, 2005
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyvthc
1. Fugazi in Boston a couple years ago.
2. Any of the multiple times i've seen the Dillinger Escape Plan.
3. No other bands stick out as much..
hmm. fugazi and shellac at the state theatre in detroit a few years back (red medicine tour i think) should have gotten a mention in my initial post in this thread, actually.

saw Dillinger Escape Plan at the shelter in detroit. smallish venue (3-400 people?) under a biggish venue. it didnt sound that good, but they were really tight. their merch guy was blowing these 6-foot-in-circumference fireballs out over the crowd.

tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2005, 03:11 PM

Gang of Four
Talking Heads
Captain Beefheart

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:04 PM

Too many to mention, mostly small club shows. You couldn't pay me to go sit in an arena these days.

ImpulseResponse

Forum Links
Forum Rules