Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > End of the road for MacNN: 21 years of changes for Apple, and for us

End of the road for MacNN: 21 years of changes for Apple, and for us (Page 3)
msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2016, 12:06 PM

I've not visited the site for a while but this sucks.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2016, 02:29 PM

This really stinks, and not just from the new paint!

I've been checking news here every work day for as long as I can remember, and my memory is actually pretty good.

You had better keep all our email addresses so when one of you decides to start a new Mac News site and hires the rest of you, you can let us all know and we can join!

Good luck with that. I'll be waiting.

macastronomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2016, 02:34 PM

Hurry up and get the new Mac News site up and running so we can all just jump over.

Waiting....

What, why isn't it up yet?

torpeau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2016, 03:15 PM

Very sorry that you're shutting down. I've been visiting your site for many years. Best of luck in the future.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
For a while, yes.
This is the problem with e-stuff. There is some great stuff here - historical articles, tips, guides - that will all go *poof*. Stinks.

I am at least grateful for (after 17 years.. an Apple II MOBO #8046.. a LISA, MacPlus, PB100, 1400, 5300, QuickTake, Newton, Cube, //c, TAM all within view...) I am finally getting upgraded from "Fresh Faced Recruit".
Just sayin'

Xinnix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2016, 05:11 PM

Wow.. I've been coming to MacNN since December of 2000!
Been supporting Macs at the same location for the same amount of time.
Gonna be missed!

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
:sighs:

To be perfectly honest, MacNN was my second source for Mac news. When the MacAddict forums closed, I deleted that bookmark, made MacNN my default, and I've been opening my browser to the MacNN home page every morning since. I was never much of a contributor on the forums here, but MacNN has been my primary source of happenings in the Mac world for a mess of years now. You will be missed. Thanks to all of you for the excellent effort!
MacAddict, here, and ResExcellence were the three sites I'd hit every day. Now the last of them is (almost) gone. The times they are-a-changin'.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 22, 2016, 07:19 PM

This is the problem with e-stuff. There is some great stuff here - historical articles, tips, guides - that will all go *poof*. Stinks.
It may good poof one day, but not right away.

Tips and guides are going to live on in one form or another.

This Old Mac Pro will be completed -- but perhaps not here.

OkieDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2016, 08:18 AM

Sad to hear this. Daily visitor despite horrendous redesign recently

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 23, 2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by OkieDoc View Post
Sad to hear this. Daily visitor despite horrendous redesign recently
That wasn't the problem. The redesign increased engagement in every metric.

Glad you kept coming by, even after the redesign, though.

tvalleau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2016, 01:11 PM

I too will miss you. Many, many years of dropping by every day. Each day just got a little less exciting. Thanks for all the good times.

boomer0127
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2016, 07:04 PM

I was another legacy.macnn.com user, loved the old interface. Thanks for staying around as all the others (MacMinute, TUAW, AtAT, among others) all gave up. We have Macintouch and iMore left? Macsurfer has more and more mainstream press, of course they still get stuff wrong.
Hopefully we don't have to reactivate the MacMarines of 1997 to set them straight in all their bias!

Good luck in your future endeavors. Thanks for all the great stories.

humblec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2016, 09:23 PM

Sorry to see you go, hopefully to new sites and/or opportunities. Thanks

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2016, 01:31 AM

I am saddened to see MacNN go. I remember its early days with its great forums, moderators and copying of other peoples' news all the time.

You can tell that as the site matured, they became a solid part of the Mac community. Recently I have noticed that Charles easn't accepting just the status quo for news reporting. He has been only of the inly people willing to put in more time and effort into calling and talking with people to write better editorial (vs regurgitated press releases). So nice work on that front, Charles.

In general, the Mac web community seems to be disappearing. I hope there is a way to bring it back as the Mac is built for people to who things whereas iOS is more for consumers. We need creators. We need people who are different from the mass consumer. We need a community that supports people other than the status quo.

j

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 24, 2016, 08:09 AM

We don't byline news, but the three main news hacks, Charles, Malcolm, and I, started calling for confirmation of things about four years ago.

In fact, one of our more ... infamous? ... incidents, we're going to cover in a "Best of" next week. We had information on a big government buy a few years ago and got told from every journalistic source ever that we were wrong, we didn't have the story, et cetera. Over the next two years, more and more information came out that proved we were right.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2016, 12:30 PM

I agree that this is very sad to see. I've been reading MacNN steadily for so many years it is hard to imagine it not being here. There are still a handful of actual, useful, Mac-centric sites. Let's hope at least a few of them manage to stick around. Overall I think this has been a great news site and it is a loss to everyone to see it go.

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2016, 03:51 AM

I'm very saddened by this. I've learned so much here. These are the first online forums in which I became an active user. Although I haven't participated in a long time, I've always found the forums here highly knowledgeable and helpful - and sometimes with some great lovely debates. This place made me a better computer user.

I also loved the articles here. I found them accurate, relevant, and well written - and without tabloid like far fetched rumors seen on other sites.

I remember fondly feeling part of a community reading some of your holiday greetings and well wishes to your readers when checking the site on more than one Christmas morning before the family festivities began. It somehow made me feel connected to a larger passionate group of Mac users - and back in the dark days we all really needed each other's support.

Thank you for your years of dedication and hard work. I have been reading this site daily - usually multiple times a day in fact - for many years.

You will be missed.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 25, 2016, 04:07 AM

The forums are sticking around. I can't say they'll be open permanently, but we can hope.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2016, 10:05 PM

Oh, this is a bit sad. Good luck with everything.

kinglou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2016, 08:14 AM

Dang! I remember the days when I used to refresh this site multiple times daily to stay on top of what was happening with Apple. That was back when it was more of a list of news bits. I suppose it makes sense as Apple has scaled back it's product roll outs and updates but it is still a bummer. Sorry to see you go! It will be a big hole in my daily reading. Best of luck in your next endeavors.

foxflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2016, 04:05 PM

Good-bye old friend :-(

younghickory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2016, 09:04 PM

I have been a loyal and almost daily reader (though rarely logged in as one) since 1998.

Out of habit, and liking the old format, my page views have been by way of http://legacy.macnn.com for as long as that has been an option (in the early days of feature phones with internet - it was to both a) be able to access it and b) save on data).

I will miss you - best of luck to all of you on future endeavors.

edboco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2016, 05:46 PM

Thanks for everything. MacNN has been the first place I checked for all things Apple for the past twenty years on a very daily basis. Sorry to see you go.

mindwaves
Jun 29, 2016, 07:51 PM

I'm still using the legacy homepage. Always hated the redesign. Has been my first website on my bookmarks bar for many years. Sad to see the site go.

I think part of the reason why the site is closing is that Apple hasn't updated their Macs in ages (partially because of Intel). Mac Pro hasn't been updated for 3 years (and before that, even longer), Macbook Pro 15'' for 3 years, MBA for 6 years, iMac hasn't really changed its design since 2002 or something (but then again, it is hard to change what is a built-in computer).

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jun 30, 2016, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I think part of the reason why the site is closing is that Apple hasn't updated their Macs in ages...
The branding could now be better, but they did a great job of covering everything Apple and related. I just think ads aren't going to cut it anymore, period. The entire old-world media model is in crisis, not just MacNN.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Ham Sandwich
Jun 30, 2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I think part of the reason why the site is closing is that Apple hasn't updated their Macs in ages (partially because of Intel).
What do you mean?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 30, 2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
The branding could now be better, but they did a great job of covering everything Apple and related. I just think ads aren't going to cut it anymore, period. The entire old-world media model is in crisis, not just MacNN.
There are a few other sites that I've seen about that are suffering currently from what hit us a few years ago. Reader apathy, heavy staff turnover, no personality.

It's coming. Between buyouts, and closures, there won't be much left that's not a major multinational corporation in a few years.

I'm very proud of what we've done here. I wish we could stay.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jun 30, 2016, 04:30 PM

Note, by 'branding' I was just referring to the 'Mac' in the name when, as you guys have said so often, the biggest part of Apple isn't Mac anymore.

Otherwise, I think you're kind of known for what you are, though I'm not sure how much that branding has been projected by certain aspects of the site design itself, or marketing attempts, etc. (i.e.: if a new person ran across it... how quickly would they get that impression from a design perspective.) The podcast was a VERY good idea in that regard, btw. (And, I'd say effective for those who listened/subscribed.)

IMO, the media-model has to change from such heavy dependence on ads. Move from a disruptive to a inbound marketing approach, or value-for-value ask, etc. But, the tricky part, is that from what I've seen, they don't mix well at all! Once people see advertising, or too heavy of sponsorship, etc. then they aren't going to go for value-for-value.

It's going to be a very tricky transition, for sure.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

rexray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2016, 12:09 AM

Slight correction: Macintouch has also been around longer, as well as Tidbits and Macworld.

Thanks for all the solid and entertaining Mac/Apple reportage!
Earth is Heaven in Drag.

dronkert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2016, 08:26 AM

Aw, very sad. Top of my Mac news RSS feeds, all the quick headlines & more.

I guess adblockers are killing the existing business model and we are some way off paid subscription or other alternatives. I do have an adblocker Sorry!

All the best & good luck.

mindwaves
Jul 1, 2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
What do you mean?
I mean as a serious redesign. Mac Pro hasnt even received a processor upgrade in about 3 years, I think.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 1, 2016, 09:24 PM

How is that any more of Intel's problem than Motorola's going back 10 years ago?

daqman
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2016, 07:43 AM

Ever take your eyes off something for a moment then come back to find it gone. I've been busy at work and so just skimmed quickly over MacNN for a couple of weeks rather than settling down to read it in full. So it came as a shock today, 7/4/16, to read that you are closing down after so long. So I dug back and found this article.

I've been coming here ever since the start, twenty years! I will miss you all. Thank you for everything and good luck for your futures.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2016, 04:37 PM

One last post for posterity.

Thanks to all the ran and contributed to MacNN over the many years. Always sad to see something like this go away, but whatever you all end up doing, I hope it's successful and makes you happy.

Safe travels all. May the Force be with you...

ScottB

HenrySeiden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2016, 01:44 PM

Bon Voyage to all,
You're moving forward while sadly reminiscing about all the good times and great reviews. That's as it should be. Best of luck in your careers, I'm sure you'll do well.

HenrySeiden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2016, 01:45 PM

Bon Voyage to all,
P.S. I've been around longer than my status would indicate. Mostly a lurker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules