Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Selling one PB for another - transfer help

Selling one PB for another - transfer help
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2002, 08:50 PM

I'm running OSX, and am selling my current PBG4 to upgrade to a 667Mhz newer model . Can someone give me some advice on cleaning out my identity without reformating the hard disc? I'd also like to transfer what ever possible over to my new machine as painlessly as can be - including my iPhoto setup.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2002, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
<STRONG>I'm running OSX, and am selling my current PBG4 to upgrade to a 667Mhz newer model . Can someone give me some advice on cleaning out my identity without reformating the hard disc? I'd also like to transfer what ever possible over to my new machine as painlessly as can be - including my iPhoto setup.

Thanks in advance for any advice.</STRONG>
Well, you could swap the hard drives. But that would probably be a big waste of a 30gb drive. (Although you could get an external Firewire housing... but still...)

If all you want to do is save your personal stuff, all you need to transfer is your Home (~) directory. All your preferences are in ~/Library and all your iPhoto stuff is in ~/Pictures. If you have things installed in other Libraries (like screensavers, iTunes plugins, prefpanes, etc) you'll have to transfer those separately. Third-party applications (probably in /Applications) and any custom UNIX or NetInfo stuff will also have to be transfered separately.

So, all you need to do is get your 667mhz TiBook (nice choice, by the way ), network it with your current one, use the built-in filesharing to transfer the stuff (either replace the existing folders or pick and choose what to move), and you're good to go. Easy as pie.

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 11:18 PM

firewire target disk mode works very well.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2002, 07:32 AM

just in case you didn't know, to network the two computers you will need either airport cards in each, or an ethernet crossover cable, the latter being the cheaper option by about $190. Regular patch cable won't work.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2002, 10:08 AM

A regular patch cable WILL work with these TiBooks. They autosense.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2002, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the posts. I actually have no problem networking systems, I have a small business which I have set up networking 6 Macs and 2 ugly PCs (OS9, OSX, Win95, Win2K, Ethernet and Airport).

I'm really looking for painless way to clean off the PBG4 500, and easily add new settings and software to the new PB 667 (both running OSX). I've done it numerious times in OS9, but I don't want to screw with anything unfamiluar in OSX/Unix.

Thanks again
Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules