Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best way to set up new system

Best way to set up new system
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 02:41 AM

I'm upgrading to a new Powerbook Ti 667 and want to painlessly take what is on my old Powerbook and put it on the new one. I have Retrospect. My older Powerbook is partitioned with OSX on one and OS 9 on the other partition.

Can I simply use firewire target disk mode, clean off the system from the new Powerbook, and then restore from the data on backup tape from the older Powerbook? My back up system is on a desktop G4.

I'd love to not have to re-install all of my software. Many are upgrades. Not to mention all the settings that are on my older system - would love to keep those intact.

Assitance would be appreciated greatly.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 11:20 PM

I don't think you can copy a bootable OS X partition as simply as that, but OS 9 you can, so long as you "bless" the System Folder.

However, for OS X, you only need to copy the following directories, after doing a clean install of OS X:

/Users (all your home directories)
/Library (all your universal preferences, fonts, etc)
/Applications/<non-default-apps> (copy only the applications not installed by default)

Unless you've done some non-standard OS X stuff, this should be all you need to get your OS X system on the new machine looking like the old one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules