Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 667 vs 500: noticable speed difference?

667 vs 500: noticable speed difference?
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 06:28 PM

I have a Ti 500. Now that the combo drive is here, I am close to selling my Ti and then getting the 667 w/combo. Has anybody done this already and noticed any great speed increase? I'm now using my Ti as my main machine, using it at home and at my design studio with a 20 inch Studio Display. It's great but I'd love to have the burner and more speed in processing, hd, and video refresh. I could simply get a "SmartDisk VST FireWire Portable CD-R/W" to solve the burning issue if there isn't much speed difference. Your thoughts?

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 06:32 PM

There was an article on XLR8 your Mac about the Ti compared speed (550/667), check it out

I wonder if I could use a Ti as my main machine... I love the desktop G4 speed

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2001, 11:00 PM

He is comparing the 667-megahertz model to the 500-megahertz model, not the 667-megahertz model to the 550-megahertz model.

In OS X, the difference is not that great. As the OS matures and the eye candy is refined, we might be able to see the difference between different computers in navigation. For now, they are roughly equal in respnosiveness.

In OS 9, the difference is phenominal. The new machine is quite a bit snappier than the outgoing model.

gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 11:53 PM

Had a chance to work with a 667 with 512MB of RAM. I set it up completely and I can relay that it feels about twice as fast as my PBG4 400 if that helps. Completely acceptable to me as a desktop graphics/web machine. The 400 is acceptable but slow in X with 256.

<dvdking>
Dec 19, 2001, 02:13 AM

I am in the same boat as you. I ended up buying the 667 combi today to replace my 500. It feels somewhat faster in OSX. Ram was 512 in both. Keyboard feels nicer.

Screen is WAY brighter! The old Tibook had to be on max brightness for me to like it, this one is 5 notches down from max for the same brightness. (Slightly more than half way on the brightness indicator in MAC OS X).

Of course, the DVD/CDR drive is great. Interesting that in the old Tibook the drive mechanism grabbed CD's after only about a 1/4" insertion of the disc. This new drive grabs the CD after about 90% of the disc is already put into the slot. At first, it almost felt like there was no drive at all in the case just a slot opening until it finally grabbed the disc.

New compact power adaptor is nice. Window's seem snappier (OS X 10.1.1) than Tibook 500.

Virtual PC 5.0 with WinXP is much more zippier.

And of course, I now have a powerbook with all four feet again, and the rubber stoppers for the screen are no longer worn flush with the case, and the Powerbook G4 insignia on the screen has yet to begin to rub off. Its the new car smell kind-a-thang!

Go for it!

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2001, 11:56 AM

Just curious dvdking, what did you get for your Ti 500? I hear you on the feet. I thought that Apple resolved that with the Ti since the lost feet I experienced on my Pismo. I'm now standing on only 2.

<dvdking>
Dec 19, 2001, 01:43 PM

Well, I took the easy way out... The family got the hand me down... I suppose the going rate on eBay is around $1500-1700 par for the course on technology: 60% reduction in 1 year, 40% next year, 20% every year after..

splitkitten44
Dec 19, 2001, 02:41 PM

where can I buy the new Powerbooks (with CDR/DVD drives)? Where they're in stock.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules