Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Preview-Default for attached PDFs?

Preview-Default for attached PDFs?
craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2002, 02:44 PM

Entourage (or OSX) makes my PDF attachments turn into "Preview" documnets. I want them to be Acrobat files so I can see the post-it notes that my clients apply to the PDF. Anybody know how to tell Entourage to make the files Acrobat not Preview? Or is in somewhere in the OS that I have to do this?

Any help will be great.Thanks.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
<STRONG>Entourage (or OSX) makes my PDF attachments turn into "Preview" documnets. I want them to be Acrobat files so I can see the post-it notes that my clients apply to the PDF. Anybody know how to tell Entourage to make the files Acrobat not Preview? Or is in somewhere in the OS that I have to do this?

Any help will be great.Thanks.</STRONG>
If you want PDFs to open in Acrobat Reader system-wide, you can do it through the Get Info dialog on an arbitrary PDF. Go to the "Open with Application" pane, add Acrobat Reader to the menu of applications if it's not there already, and then press the button at the bottom that say something like "Open all with this application". You might not want to do that because I believe even your print previews will open in Acrobat Reader -- I could be wrong there, though.

If you don't want to do anything quite that drastic, grab a piece of shareware on Version Tracker called Zingg!, which provides a contextual menu item for opening files in alternate applications. Once installed, you can drag the PDF to the desktop, control-click on it to get the contextual menu, and select "Open With Application" and then Acrobat Reader in the submenu to open it.

craigthomas  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2002, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the quick and excellent reply!

Interesting, I just got my Acrobat 5 upgrade in the mail today, and installed it. After opening up a PDF, it asked me if I want it to be the default application to view PDFs instead of Preview. I think I will choose to do that since it seems quicker and I deal in Acrobat so much. Thanks again.[/LIST]

Forum Links
Forum Rules