Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The "new iPhone" - Who's getting one?

View Poll Results: Are you getting a "new iPhone"?
Poll Options:
Yes 24 votes (70.59%)
No 4 votes (11.76%)
Undecided 6 votes (17.65%)
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll
The "new iPhone" - Who's getting one?
Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 04:03 AM

Following the naming of the "new iPad", it looks like what's been dubbed the "iPhone 5" is going to be called the "new iPhone". So who's getting one? I'm getting one as soon as it's released and giving my iPhone 4 to my partner. I'm going to bite the bullet and get an unlocked one. Recently had AT&T unlock my current iPhone 4.. what a relief that was. I'm sick and tired of dealing with jailbreaking/unlocking. And who knows how long it's going to take them to come up with an unlock for the new iPhone.

And as far as the name is concerned I think it's just as stupid as the "new iPad".

5376/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 04:17 AM

If that's the case, why does the invitation have a huge, giant "5" written on it? Seems a little weird.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
If that's the case, why does the invitation have a huge, giant "5" written on it? Seems a little weird.
Good point since this isn't even the 5th gen iPhone unless they are dubbing the 4S as a "4.5" gen like they did with iPods.

I will be getting one. I've had a 4 for 2 years and it's becoming sluggish so I'd imagine iOS6 will make it run even shittier. I do plan on buying the "new" iPhone with the least amount of storage thanks to itunes match.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 05:38 AM

I've heard some suggest that there will be five products announced..(yeah, I know, seems far-fetched).

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Good point since this isn't even the 5th gen iPhone unless they are dubbing the 4S as a "4.5" gen like they did with iPods.
I will be getting one. I've had a 4 for 2 years and it's becoming sluggish so I'd imagine iOS6 will make it run even shittier. I do plan on buying the "new" iPhone with the least amount of storage thanks to itunes match.
Good point about the storage. I'm going to go down to the 16GB from the 32GB. I really don't need the extra storage and it's $100 cheaper!

I've also noticed sluggishness with my iPhone 4. I find that if I manually close all open applications and then reboot it's "snappy" again. I realize iOS is supposed to efficiently deal with open apps that are not active but I can see a definite performance improvement when I close the apps. Seems they are still somehow using memory when inactive.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 05:41 AM

this'll be my first iPhone since I had a 3G stolen at a party 3 years ago

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I've heard some suggest that there will be five products announced..(yeah, I know, seems far-fetched).
Not terribly far fetched. iMacs need a refresh, iPods need a refresh, iPhone needs a refresh, maybe AppleTV (not a tv but just a refresh of current one) and maybe the retina 13 inch Macbook pro?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 05:49 AM

The AppleTV was refreshed 3-4 months ago....

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 05:53 AM

The AppleTV was refreshed 3-4 months ago....
For some reason I was thinking it refreshed with the 4S....

1. New iPhone
2. New Nano
3. New Shuffle
4. New Touch
5. 13 inch Macbook pro with retina display? New iMacs?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2012, 05:59 AM

Maybe in that 5 spot it'll be the mythical iPad mini/nano/dwarf. Then the entire presentation will be focused on iOS devices.

Thorzdad
Sep 5, 2012, 06:10 AM

I'm still using an old LG feature phone. No iPhone in my future, I'm afraid. No need for it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2012, 08:19 AM

I think it will be called "iPhone 5".

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 08:26 AM

Waiting to hear the specs and see the form factor.

BUT, from what I've read, this iPhone may bring me back to iOS from Android (currently Droid RAZR).

Unfortunately, I will have to pay retail to prevent Verizon from putting me on a tiered data plan (currently grandfathered in to unlimited).

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 08:54 AM

I bought my first iPhone (4S) in Feb. Unless Verizon has some sort of deal/buyback I'll have to wait until the 5S or 6 or whatever it will be called is released.
45/47

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 09:29 AM

Assuming it turns out to be the Latest Best Thing in smart phones, I'll be making it my first iPhone. My current Blackberry has seen far better days, and, well.....we know how that one ends, I guess.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Sep 5, 2012, 09:46 AM

Yup. I have a 4S, I'll sell that on ebay for a decent amount so the upgrade won't cost much.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 10:02 AM

I'm sure I'll be upgrading. I've been upgrade eligible since March, having an iPhone 4.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 10:13 AM

It'll cost me a fortune to get one, but yeah I probably will.

Fed up of Android/Samsung Kies tbh.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 10:30 AM

You guys think your iPhone 4 is sluggish? Try a 3GS. Holy crap is this thing a dog now. In the last year or so, it has really started running like total garbage. It's almost enough to make me feel all conspiratorial, since it never used to do things like hang up for 3 seconds on the unlock screen, crash every time you play a video, take 5 seconds to snap a photo, etc... it's really bad.

I feel for people who are buying these "free" 3GS phones they sell. It's really not a great experience.

So yeah, anyway, I'm totally getting an iPhone 5 (or whatever it's called). So is my wife. So is my dad. So are about a dozen other people I know.

I know it's all pretty anecdotal, but it seems to me like demand for this model is going to be absolutely bonkers. Which sucks, because I really don't like waiting in line for products, but I go on a trip 3 days after it's rumored to be released, so I don't want to order it online.

We'll just have to see how it goes. I want it right away, but I can wait if I have to. I guess.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2012, 11:08 AM

I'm still making do with my 100% free Samsung Galaxy S. Is it kinda slow? Yeah. Is the camera kinda crappy? Yeah. Do I care enough about either of those things to pay the money needed not only for an iPhone but for the plan to go with it? No way.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 11:16 AM

Yeah my wife has the S.....wow that thing is shyte

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 11:22 AM

I've also got the Galaxy S. Served me well.

For a POS.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2012, 11:28 AM

One thing I will say, the built-in GPS for Android works incredibly well.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2012, 11:43 AM

Actually agree. Easier to use than TomTom. With TomTom if you don't know the town, you can't find the street.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2012, 03:53 PM

Me. New toy, woohoo!

Though I do use my GSIII more than anything else right now, nice screen.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Sep 5, 2012, 04:21 PM

Probably not, unless there also comes another cheap monthly low plan for it to surpass virgin mobile.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2012, 04:43 PM

WHY THE HELL IS MY MACBOOK AIR NOT CALLED A MACBOOK AIR 3?!?

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Sep 5, 2012, 09:12 PM

The whole conspiritorial thing is interesting. I remember my first gen iPhone running great when I got it... but after about 4 years, it was just painful. Do you think they make processors degrade over time, in hopes of getting us to constantly upgrade?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2012, 09:41 PM

Yes, but not right away. I'll wait 'til the craze is over, hoping for 6-10 weeks. Not in big hurry because I love my 4S. Just want the 4 incher, to better display maps and navigation, and search results. Also depends on the deals I can get, and whether my wife will want to transition to a a smartphone. Maybe i'll wait longer, but not past November, because then one can get caught up on the next iteration.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
The whole conspiritorial thing is interesting. I remember my first gen iPhone running great when I got it... but after about 4 years, it was just painful. Do you think they make processors degrade over time, in hopes of getting us to constantly upgrade?
What I really think is happening is that they don't put much effort into making sure that legacy hardware runs the new software well. I'm pretty sure that if I somehow got my phone back on iOS 3.5 or something, it would be snappy again.

All of todays apps are designed for new processors. No one bothers making sure the experience is good on the older phones.

The conspiracy isn't that they do it on purpose, because I don't think they do. But I do think they aren't very motivated to fix it. It's a soft conspiracy.

All of that said, Apple is still 100 times better at supporting old hardware then android.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
WHY THE HELL IS MY MACBOOK AIR NOT CALLED A MACBOOK AIR 3?!?
Isn't the iPhone the only Apple product to be numbered, except for the iPad 2, which stopped there, no 3? Imagine if every iMac was numbered, what would we be up to? Seems that smart phones need unique identifiers

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2012, 05:13 PM

I'll be getting one. I've been on the even release cycle. Kind of like the good Star Trek movie thing. First iPhone was the 3G and then got the 4. Now it's time to get whatever it's going to be called.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2012, 12:42 AM

I will! I stretched the life of my 2008 3G as far as I could but it's now on the brinks of not being usable at all... I changed the battery but the speed is not just up to par and is barely just tolerable. Plus my home button is going away so I have to press really hard, and my volume buttons just kind of vanished (I probably dropped it and the buttons fell without me noticing).

I wanted to buy the iPhone 5 last year but it didn't materialize so I will definitively buy the new iPhone.

badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2012, 01:29 AM

I'll get one if it doesn't get any bigger!
I don't need a huge mini tablet like the Samsung phones to compensate a tiny...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
All of todays apps are designed for new processors. No one bothers making sure the experience is good on the older phones.
This is the thing. Apple actually makes it difficult to develop for more than one version of iOS. The Dev Kit doesn't allow for multiple virtual versions of iOS on a single computer, which means that you need a separate computer for each version of iOS that you want to support.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2012, 05:49 AM

The processors don't degrade, the software updates just give them more work to do so they slow down. If you could roll back to iOS 2 or 3 it would be back to its original speed again.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2012, 07:27 AM

I didn't upgrade to the 4S, so yes, I'll be grabbing the new model.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
I'll get one if it doesn't get any bigger!
I don't need a huge mini tablet like the Samsung phones to compensate a tiny...
You get used to that, surprisingly. Of course, with an almost 5" 720p phone screen, a 7" tablet just isn't a big deal.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mostundudelike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2012, 09:36 AM

No no no. I WISH I had a 3GS. Oh the difference that "S" would have made for me and my little 3G, which after about two minutes, can launch the Google search app. I would so love to be able to run a version of IOS that came out during the Obama administration.

Yeah, I'm biting. I have a strict policy of buying the odd-numbered iPhones and the even-numbered iPads. And yes I'm still numbering iPads.

Cold Warrior
Sep 9, 2012, 09:51 AM

I've been upgrading every year. It is one of only a few indulgences I care for.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 10:46 AM

I'm getting one.

I've decided if there's any chance I'm going to get one in the future, waiting only serves to deprive me of time I could be taking advantage of new features.

The part of Apple's strategy which finally solidified this was the Apple Store. If I couldn't replace my ****ed up Rev. A model at the drop of a hat, I'm sure I'd feel differently about it.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 11, 2012, 07:57 AM

My 3G is also incredible slow at any task, so if there really is a new phone I'm sure I'll order one. I just don't hope it will be US only the first months, launch it all over at once!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2012, 08:57 AM

I am tempted to go back to a dumb phone. Something that just makes phone calls and SMS and putting away having a smart phone with me all the time. Something to be said about simplicity. Honestly think I would be happier with a mobile wifi 3G hotspot in my car and a iPad then another iPhone.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2012, 10:39 AM

Mine's already ordered and should be arriving on the 21st. Suckers!

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Sep 13, 2012, 10:59 AM

I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's like a 4S but 18% thinner. Same camera. Slightly faster, maybe? I don't get it. I was expecting something cool, but if I update my OS I get everything that's improved. The back being aluminum? I have a case, I really don't care. So disappointing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 11:30 AM

LTE? Screen?

You didn't even mention the two biggest upgrades.

This isn't really directed at you, but it always baffles me how often I see people in message boards and comments sections bemoan Apple for simply making a slightly better version of what they had last year and/or not completely reinventing the wheel with every release.

It's how Apple has always done things. Change comes pretty slow. No company is going to be able "wow" everyone with crazy new stuff every single year... year after year after year... it's just not possible. It just doesn't work like that. Nobody works like that.

P
Sep 13, 2012, 12:00 PM

Apple claims twice the speed in both CPU and GPU. GPU they likely just doubled the number of slices (like for the latest iPad), and CPU they supposedly have new A15 cores on a 32nm process, which - if true - would be the biggest surprise CPU announcement since the G5. The display is bigger, but supposedly also brighter with better colors. LTE will be mostly useful for avoiding the congested 3G bands, but it can't hurt.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 12:14 PM

I'll be copping an iPhone 5 in the end of December when my two-year contract is up. The wife will then ditch her iPhone 3GS and take my current iPhone 4.

OAW

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 01:01 PM

I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's like a 4S but 18% thinner. Same camera. Slightly faster, maybe? I don't get it. I was expecting something cool, but if I update my OS I get everything that's improved. The back being aluminum? I have a case, I really don't care. So disappointing.
Umm, no. Just no. It's not "like a 4S but 18% thinner". Not even close.

1) Bigger, better screen, true 16:9 ratio, same dpi, integrated touch sensors

2) 4G LTE

3) Faster CPU and graphics

4) Better front camera

5) Not all glass like 4S

You go ahead and update your OS but you will NOT "get everything that's improved".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Umm, no. Just no. It's not "like a 4S but 18% thinner". Not even close.
1) Bigger, better screen, true 16:9 ratio, same dpi, integrated touch sensors
2) 4G LTE
3) Faster CPU and graphics
4) Better front camera
5) Not all glass like 4S
You go ahead and update your OS but you will NOT "get everything that's improved".
It actually is pretty close.

The screen is a little bit bigger which is nice but not spectacular. The integrated sensors will only really help if you are repairing one, otherwise its not really a feature.
4G is nice if you can get it, but I don't download HD movies on my phone and I doubt I would if I could. Again, its nice but its barely even rolled out over here.
Faster CPU and GPU is also nice, but my 4S is still pretty fast. I have no complaints about its speed with the possible exception of loading Pages which takes an age.
Front camera is not something I use very often.
The glass doesn't bother me. Especially on the back because its cheap and easy to change if it gets broken.

It isn't enough of an upgrade over the 4S to make me jealous that my contract has over a year to run.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
LTE? Screen?
You didn't even mention the two biggest upgrades.
This isn't really directed at you, but it always baffles me how often I see people in message boards and comments sections bemoan Apple for simply making a slightly better version of what they had last year and/or not completely reinventing the wheel with every release.
It's how Apple has always done things. Change comes pretty slow. No company is going to be able "wow" everyone with crazy new stuff every single year... year after year after year... it's just not possible. It just doesn't work like that. Nobody works like that.
Yes, thank you!

I think this is a great step forward. I'm going to be upgrading in December from my iPhone 4 (unless they see fit to let me upgrade sooner ). This looks like a great improvement, especially if you are jumping up from the 4. Bigger screen, 4g speed, MUCH faster processor, MUCH better front facing camera (one of the major things I'm glad they improved upon), thinner and lighter body, and now I get Siri as well. There are a ton of other little improvements that I'm forgetting about right now, too. I definitely consider this release more than a refresh or a speed bump like 4 to 4s was considered. This is a nice leap forward. And like it was stated before, expecting a radically redesigned, completely new phone on every single refresh just isn't realistic.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules