Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > EPS question

EPS question
buffythebanjoplayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2007, 04:04 AM

Hello to you all. I have a question: I have a client who wants me to illustrate a children's activity group. This client hired me from my portfolio, which is in traditional media (ink and watercolor), to illustrate a book. Then he says he wants "scalable vector art" but tells me I can do it in pen and ink with watercolor, and "scan it in as vector." I know it doesn't work that way. I tried to discuss it more with him but he seemed confused about the meanings of EPS, Photoshop EPS, and vector art, and so was I. So I told him I'd save it as a Photoshop EPS, thinking that was the answer. But, I just learned what a Photoshop EPS is, and it doesn't seem to be any more scalable than, for instance, a jpeg. I'm thinking if I do the artwork the same size as the final book, scalability shouldn't be an issue as you can always make things smaller (right?) Do I have any other options? Thanks very much.

Thorzdad
Oct 5, 2007, 10:43 AM

If you are working in traditional media (pen, ink, paint, pencils, etc.) the usual practice is to create the art at a size larger than the intended reproduction size. This allows a bit of sizing leeway when it comes to the scan/separation process.

Of course, you are correct when you say there is no way you can "scan it in as vector". Your client obviously has no idea what he's talking about (probably getting his information from someone he considers tech-savvy ...who is equally ignorant when it comes to digital art matters.)

Before I'd provide any scans of my work, I'd want to know exactly how the art is to be reproduced. Is this to be run professionally on offset presses? Who's doing the pre-press and how do they prefer to get your art? They may not want you to do your own scans. They may prefer to do that themselves, so as to better control the color-management and overall quality.

If, in the end, your client can't provide any of this info and still insists on getting scans from you, the best you can do is give them some high-resolution (1200dpi...depending on the complexity) scans of your art, no smaller than actual-size. Personally, I'd keep them as CMYK Photoshop files, so the color remains as original as possible. You might want to provide them with RGB Photoshop scans at the same resolution and size, too. These combinations will give your client the most flexible options. The prepress people will have good art from which to prepare press-ready reductions.

I've probably made this all way too complex...but there are simply too many unanswered questions here. And, apparently, one clueless client.

xtremelyyellow
Oct 5, 2007, 11:16 AM

Thorzdad is correct. There is no way that I know of to scan a drawing in as a vector eps. Your only option would be to re-draw it in Illustrator, which can be very time consuming depending on the complexity of the image... especially if you aren't that familier with Illustrator.
Mac Pro Quad 3.0GHz Intel, 2GB, 250HD, ATI Radeon X1900 XT
30" Apple Cinema HD Display.
12" Powerbook 1 GHz
Titanium Powerbook

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2007, 11:59 AM

Thorzad is giving you some good advice, however, your illustrations need not be larger than will be used in the final printed piece. Outputs size can be accomodated by the scanning parameters. In some instances this is a good approach, in others it may not. Depends upon the style of illustration, output size, stock to be printed on, etc.

DO NOT give your client scans of your art. The separator should do that. Their equipment is callibrated and the operator can get the best possible reproduction. Judging from your initial post I'd guess this is not your area of expertise or comfort. You're best to avoid all together.

A scan of an illustration cannot easily be converted to a vector-based EPS file (scalable as per your client's request).

Why does your client want it scalable -- for POS, promotional items?

buffythebanjoplayer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks for your answers everyone.
The client wants the art to be scalable because it's a series of activity books and some of the same art, such as icons, will be used in each book in different sizes. I could maybe ask them the size range.

I downloaded a free program called Inkscape, which has a tool that allows me to draw freehand in vector (at least, I think it's vector, it has paths). It's easier than the pen tool and looks more natural. Is this something I could use? (It doesn't really solve my problem of color though--I was planning to use watercolor).

Thanks.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 02:22 PM

Illustrator is the industry standard for creating vector imagery. I would encourage you to use it if planning to create your art in such a fashion. You'll have fewer problems and many who can help should you have questions.

Thorzdad
Oct 8, 2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by buffythebanjoplayer View Post
I downloaded a free program called Inkscape, which has a tool that allows me to draw freehand in vector (at least, I think it's vector, it has paths). It's easier than the pen tool and looks more natural. Is this something I could use? (It doesn't really solve my problem of color though--I was planning to use watercolor).

Thanks.
The problem with Inkscape is that it doesn't appear to save flies in any format other than SVG. Since SVG files are primarily intended for use on the web, this would prove to be a pain for any press shop working with these files. At best, you'd incur conversion costs from the printer to converting the SVG files to something usable.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 03:04 PM

The idea you can 'scan to vector' is completely misguided. It is NEVER possible with a physical piece of work to create vector artwork without some conversion process. Vector/postscript artwork is nice because it scales without losing its quality. Making a foolproof method for conversion isn't going to be possible. There are tools in illustrator for tracing scanned shapes, but that process still isn't going to create the effect of a trained watercolorist.

You should ask for the largest possible size needed for work and then paint at that size or 125% of that size. This will allow scanning your lovely painting in watercolor for reproduction.

If they want your illustration for its watercolor style then they really need you to work in the medium you are comfortable using. You won't attain your style using a new tool.

From the largest file scan they can then scale down the artwork. Scaling down artwork can also require talent as sometimes details in a large painting are lost when scaled down (and then the translation to a smaller image doesn't work well).

If you have scanned samples or photos of your work, we'd like to see them. Post a link if you can.
( Last edited by bluedog; Oct 12, 2007 at 09:24 AM. )

Zanshin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2007, 04:02 PM

Adobe Streamline (from the old days) was a good tool for getting vectors out of a bitmap once you scanned it, but finding that may be tougher than creating the "simulated watercolor" art in Illustrator to begin with. The learning curve wasn't the easiest in the world either, but a Taz Talley seminar got me a head start.

Depending on interpretation and usage, "Icons" require more development than just shrinking an art file to a smaller size.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by xtremelyyellow View Post
Thorzdad is correct. There is no way that I know of to scan a drawing in as a vector eps. Your only option would be to re-draw it in Illustrator, which can be very time consuming depending on the complexity of the image... especially if you aren't that familier with Illustrator.
The Live Trace feature in Illustrator does a great job at turning scanned images into vectors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules