Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > It's Almost Here!

It's Almost Here!
bonk
Oct 2, 2003, 09:45 AM

Ok, I can't function or do anything until it arrives, I'm a kid at a toy store, only the toy is coming to me.

Airborne actually did good this time. I received notice Monday night that it was shipping and will receive this thing today (Apple did upgrade to overnight shipping).

I ordered a 17"pb BTO with 5400rpm drive. Placed my order on the 22nd.

Oh yeah, my additional 512mb ram from Crucial should also arrive today.

My first powerbook, upgraded from a good, but outdated Dual 500.

Now what should I do w/ this desktop? I could keep it and use it to capture/edit video (I do a lot of that). Hmmm.
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 10:32 AM

Ahhh, you sound just like me when my Rev. A 17" PB was all set to arrive earlier this year...congrats! Be sure to post impressions when it arrives!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ingeniero
Oct 2, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by bonk:
Ok, I can't function or do anything until it arrives, I'm a kid at a toy store, only the toy is coming to me.

Airborne actually did good this time. I received notice Monday night that it was shipping and will receive this thing today (Apple did upgrade to overnight shipping).

I ordered a 17"pb BTO with 5400rpm drive. Placed my order on the 22nd.

Oh yeah, my additional 512mb ram from Crucial should also arrive today.

My first powerbook, upgraded from a good, but outdated Dual 500.

Now what should I do w/ this desktop? I could keep it and use it to capture/edit video (I do a lot of that). Hmmm.

Congragulations! Can you let everyone know how the PB reacts to the memory chip from Crucial? I've seen threads where folks say the new PB's do weird things when using non-Apple memory. I've used crucial in the past and think they're really good and have good pricing.

capetown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 10:35 AM

Hi,

I'm switching and getting a powerbook in Nov.

Looking to use it for everything - inc. photo and video editing.

I have never had a laptop and am looking at 15" or 17".

If I go for the 15", I will feel more comfortable about getting an extra battery, 5400rpm and 1dimm 512mb.

But if I got 17" (more expensive), I will have to go for the standard package.

I am going to claim the vat back - but don't want to go over �2000???

Do you think the 15" will be acceptable for video and photo editing?

Thanks

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 10:47 AM

First off, non-Apple memory works just fine these days...wayyyy back in Apple's history, their "non-standard" features made using other RAM problematic, now, however, basically any RAM you pick up that's the right size/speed will work.

And capetown, I'd recommend getting the 1.25Ghz 15" and up'ing the RAM to 1GIG and a larger HD rather than a stock 17" PB...both feature the same L2 cache, same graphics chip, and same front side bus...the meager speed increase wouldn't make up for an extra 512MB of RAM in the 15" AlBook.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 11:25 AM

My 12" arrived right now. The Fedex woman rang the door bell 15 minutes ago and now I am typing this. I am connected via the Airport card and have synced my Safari bookies.

Happy days are here again!

I will be posting pictures and comparisons between the new PB and my iBook in case people are interested.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 11:26 AM

Heh, I'm waiting for my pb's arrival today too; I can't concentrate on my work either, lol.

Current status: On FedEx vehicle for delivery/BURNABY CA 10/02/2003 08:07

Which means it'll be a couple more hours cuz they have to transfer it over to the Vancouver delivery vehicle before it's "released for delivery" - at least that's how it was when my iPod was delivered.

I'm also expecting my new desk chair today - two deliveries in one day...it's almost like Christmas!

So exciting!!!

ETA: keep your desktop. You'll need it should you ever have to send your pb in for repairs.

bonk  (op)
Oct 2, 2003, 12:12 PM

The Box is HEre! opeing now, no time to post

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 01:08 PM

i'm so jealous, my 15" won't get here for another 2 weeks!
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

bonk  (op)
Oct 2, 2003, 01:10 PM

Well, I'm posting from it, currently installing FCP3

I love it so far

One thing, when I set it down, it wobbles, oh boy. I'm gonna test it on another desk soon, it might just be mine.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 01:37 PM

CONGRATS!!! (change your profile )
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

bonk  (op)
Oct 3, 2003, 09:24 AM

Ok, I've had a while to play with it.

This thing is a beast, but in a good way. Nice large monitor, but not too large. I haven't been able to travel around with it much, but I'll experiment and such.

I took it to the weekly meeting for and organization I'm involved with at college called Campus Crusade for Christ. I'm the "powerpoint guy." I used to use the pc in the room we're in, but this time I showed up with the notebook. Most people were amazed at how wide screen it is, and that it's huge, and yet thin.

I used Keynote, the first time I've experimented with it using two displays (projector and lcd). I thought it would be better, but it's not quite there. When your in presentation mode, Keynote makes the mouse disappear, so on the lcd with the slides, you still have to use the arrow keys and it doesn't make good use of the lcd.

Anyway, I don't know how far I'll get on a battery, Haven'te quite drained it yet. I did put it to sleep overnight and it went down maybe 5-8% in 8 hours.

I ended up buying a Logitech mini-optical mouse from Wal-Mart, still not used to this trackpad.

I haven't been able to test the speed much, got 111 on xbench, I'll post more stats later.

Here's something I'm going to have to find a way to do it. I have the FCP3 upgrade. To upgrade, you have to have FCP2 INSTALLED AND the serial number entered. FCP2 won't run in classic and this machine won't boot into OS9. So FCP3 doesn't work. I've tried moving just about everything from my Dual500, still not luck :-\

So far I'm in love with this thing, it's just awesome.

benb
Oct 3, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by bonk:
Here's something I'm going to have to find a way to do it. I have the FCP3 upgrade. To upgrade, you have to have FCP2 INSTALLED AND the serial number entered. FCP2 won't run in classic and this machine won't boot into OS9. So FCP3 doesn't work. I've tried moving just about everything from my Dual500, still not luck :-\

So far I'm in love with this thing, it's just awesome.
Call Apple. They will send you a real FCP3 Install CD.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2003, 10:59 AM

Sweetness bonk! That's awesome you're in Campus Crusades, so am I! Our "music" guy who sits beside "projector" guy uses an iPod to play the tunes during our weekly gatherings...pretty kool! Glad you're enjoying it! And definitely call Apple about FCP, heck, you might even get FCP 4 since it's what's in production now.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

bonk  (op)
Oct 3, 2003, 12:20 PM

I would have FCP4 by now, except that I bought FCP3 a month before it was announced ....

And I'm getting off topic, but it's alright since I started it

Anyway for the weekly meeting, we're gonna get a 50ft vga cable and run it down to the projector so we can then run the laptop through the sound system. I'm also looking at using keynote to play the movies I make instead of using vhs.

What school do you go to in NC? I go to Middle TN State, but we always go to the Christmas Conference in Greensboro, I went last year and it's awesome

Forum Links
Forum Rules