Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I can't believe it... for a cable !

I can't believe it... for a cable !
ericT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 03:53 PM

Hello,

I don't know what you think about it but I am really disgusted with Apple. Here is the story and hope someone can help me...

I bought (my company) two cinema display two years ago and one has always been flicking (green image flashing). I heared that it was a problem due to the cable. The problem was acceptable for two years but the screen is now always green. I called my local dealer and he told me that for this problem, he needs to send it to Apple Europe who will charge a fixed amount of ... 1200 Euros (1000 dollars) to fix it. A few days later, I met a technician from Samsung who told me that the problem is easy and well known. I explained to him that Apple told me that it is not possible to do it by myself and he laughed...telling me that there is nothing easier as changing this cable. So I opened my Cinema display...and as he said... it is so easy that it took aproximately 3 minutes to take out the cable.

So I looked over the web to find a new cable and... nothing. Impossible to find it. I called Apple to ask them for this cable. And... nothing again. They do not sell it alone. I HAVE TO PAY 1200 EUROS to get my cable.

So here I am with my opened Cinema display and without my ADC cable.
Can someone tell me where I could find such cable ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Eric

http://www.b-tween.com

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2003, 04:09 PM

First, why didn't you take care of the flickering problem when it came up, instead of 2 years later? Even if it was "acceptable", you should've had the problem fixed for free with Apple's standard 1 year warranty.

Second, how do you know for sure that simply replacing the cable will indeed fix your problem? You've heard two different solutions to the problem from two different sources? Why do you trust one more than the other?

Third, I'm wondering if the cable you want to replace is a somewhat standard one? Or is it another proprietary Apple piece of hardware? Maybe you could find a 3rd party cable that would work just as well?

P.S. - I am not trying to defend Apple here, but it seems to me that you could've avoided this problem by acting on it sooner.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 6, 2003, 04:26 PM

Ask the laughinng Samsung guy were to get a cable.

"Hello, what have we here?

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 05:53 PM

Griffin sells an ADC extension cable...its 10ft long...maybe you can cut it and plug it to your Cinema Display. That's the only solution I can think of. Hope its not hard to splice it. Otherwise, try buying a broken cheap Cinema Display with a working cable. Or try some other place that fixes monitors...I know this place that fixes monitors and I noticed they had Cinema Displays that were brought to be fixed.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

ericT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 02:42 AM

You're right maroma. I could fixed it earlier. I did not send it to Apple because of professionnal use. I was not able that time to work without a screen... As simple as that !

And regarding the other solutions, I know it is a cable problem because I can fix it by moving the cable with my hand.

Thanks anyway for your help.
Eric

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 02:50 AM

Obviously, Apple would love to get 1200 euros to replace a silly little cable, so they'll tell you that it's the only way. I wouldn't trust an AppleCare guy farther than I could throw him on this one.

I'm sure you can find a replacement cable SOMEHOW. If you know someone who knows an Apple technician, or if you can find some place that would have dead cinema displays, you should be able to pick up another cable.

Anyway, yeah, you probably should have brought it in a while ago, but at least the fix is easy. You just need to find the part.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
Ask the laughinng Samsung guy were to get a cable.
looooooooooooool good answer :0

well good luck in fixing the screen

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 11:36 AM

If you can fix the problem by moving the cable, is the cable soldered into the display. If so, could you try resoldering the points where the cable is attached.

If not, can you identify where along the cable the problem is, and maybe splice that section out. If it's not working now, it might be worth playing carefully with these before paying lots of money.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
If you can fix the problem by moving the cable, is the cable soldered into the display. If so, could you try resoldering the points where the cable is attached.

If not, can you identify where along the cable the problem is, and maybe splice that section out. If it's not working now, it might be worth playing carefully with these before paying lots of money.

J.
smart.... yeah try to do that .. "why didnt i think about that" hehehe good luck man.. please update us with what happens

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 07:54 PM

Anyway you could post a pic of what you are looking for?

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 08:41 PM

look on ebay for a broken display.

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 01:21 PM

I'm beginning to think my posts are invisible...I already found him a cable.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

bonk
Oct 10, 2003, 03:19 PM

Edit: I can't read, ignore this post, lol.
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 12:23 AM

I would get a used display off eBay, trade the cables, and have an extra display that is green. Try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=25448
( Last edited by willab; Oct 12, 2003 at 01:35 PM. )
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 04:10 AM

The first one is a completely working 15" ADC Studio Display that will probably end up around $300-$400. Certainly not a cheap option especially if he's going to be tearing it apart just for the cable.

The second one is a DVI display.

The third one is an old beige Apple monitor that has ADB ports (not a typo). ADC didn't exist back then.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 12, 2003, 10:06 AM

Only the first one could be of help.

The second one is not DVI, it's VGA.

The third one (yes, that is ADB -- Apple Desktop Bus, the old-school connection for mice, keyboards, etc -- used in the monitor for calibration) is very old, with the Mac-style VGA (same signals, different plug).

tooki

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
The first one is a completely working 15" ADC Studio Display that will probably end up around $300-$400. Certainly not a cheap option especially if he's going to be tearing it apart just for the cable.
$400 is much cheaper than $1000.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

ericT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 10:53 AM

Thanks to all for your help...

Here is what I am trying:
We are cutting the pin and trying to fix it again (because the problem is in the pin). If it doesn't work... I may try the EBAY solution.

I will post some pictures as soon as the cable is fixed... Isn't it interesting to see an opened Cinema display ???

Regards and thank again.

Eric
Eric

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 02:46 AM

I've seen an open cinema display before and to be perfectly honest, no it's not that intestesting (of course the one I saw had no screen)

good luck!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

ericT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 10:16 AM

In fact looking at this ADC cable is really funny.

ADC (which is an Apple protected cable)is a very simple DVI cable (with power) and you just have to add a USB cable and that's it...

I am sorry guys but 1200 EUROS for this...

I think I will make a business of this ;-)

Thanks for your answers.

Eric
Eric

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by ericT:
I called my local dealer and he told me that for this problem...
I'd try other Apple dealers, even another person at the same dealer. It's possible the person you spoke with was either uninformed or an idiot.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2003, 08:58 AM

Just a note: If you know exactly which part needs replacing, you should be able to ask a local tech shop to order it. They just need to return your broken part to Apple in its place. You can do the repair yourself if you like.

ericT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 10:10 AM

Sorry but it looks like those parts (like ADC cable) are Apple exclusive. So they really can't order it ( in Switzerland... I don't know for other countries. They have to send the Screen and get replaced by Apple.

Asked three different dealers... and always same answer.

Eric
Eric

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2003, 12:44 PM

Bummer.

Sorry we couldn't be more help.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 04:10 PM

I guess the moral of the story is to send it in while its under warranty. You would have saved yourself a lot of money and aggravation.

Its funny no matter how easy a tech would tell me a repair would be there's no way I would open up an lcd or monitor and do surgey on it, I figure there's no good that could come out of that.

Good Luck
Mike

ericT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 09:38 AM

Thanks all for your help.

Just for info, we did repair the cable. Just cutted it and plugged it again in the pin. A friend helped us because the pin is so strange that we needed some expertise... A lot of plastic and silicon inside. But it works now perfectly. Really ridiculous from Apple to ask that amout of money for this operation !!!
Eric

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2003, 06:35 AM

Just to let you know, the cable is a part 922-5669 and it would cost you $109.18 AUD.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

brinj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by ericT:
I called my local dealer and he told me that for this problem, he needs to send it to Apple Europe who will charge a fixed amount of ... 1200 Euros (1000 dollars) to fix it.
Its really unlikely that its got to go to apple Europe.

Call apple tech support instead of your local dealer.

If its a user replaceable part they will arrange for you to purchase it. And send instructions as well.

If its not user replaceable, they will be able to refer you to an authorized tech who can order the part and do the job for a more reasonable price. I know authorized techs are fewer in europe but they do exist.

Forum Links
Forum Rules