Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Superdrive or External?

Superdrive or External?
sovereign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 12:49 PM

I want to buy a 12" Powerbook. I am undecided between the Combo and the Superdrive. I will be using the Powerbook for digital video. Some questions/observations are:

1. Overall, is the Superdrive worth going for at this time, or should I wait and get a higher performance external DVD-RW drive?

2.The speeds on the Combo drive appear better in at least one of the CD write modes than the Superdrive.

3.If I will be making multiple copies of some video would it be better to let an external drive bear the brunt of this work (at higher write speeds)?

4.Is the Superdrive basically a "crippled" low speed drive with no RW capability?

5.Regarding the data backup capabilties of the Superdirve, isn't an exteranl HD a better option?

6. Is iDVD a major reason for going Superdrive? I am not too familiar with this software, and if/how it can aid getting info recorded to DVD.

Thanks!

bonk
Oct 31, 2003, 12:56 PM

1. go for it
2. does a few minutes really matter? How much cd burning will you do?
3. Either one will work
4. You can use RW, only at 1x though
5. Depends on what you want to do. An external HD would be cheaper in the long run, and you can edit from it much easier.
6. Yes, iDVD is awesome, very easy to use. Otherwise you'd have to use DVD studio pro or something, which is much more complex yet powerful (I'm starting to learn it)
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

ligux
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2003, 03:33 PM

External, cheaper,faster,usable with any other equipment and if it fails you keep your PB intact.
-Mac G4 867, 240Gb HD, +1gb Ram . OS9.2.2 and OS X 10,2,8
-iPod 10 Gb
-PB 12'' 1Ghz 768 RAM + AirPort Extreme OS X 10.2.8

bonk
Oct 31, 2003, 04:07 PM

Keep in mind that if you go external, you're gonna have to lug it around if you want to take it anywhere, which also means you'll need access to some power.
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 09:25 PM

I bought external and connected to an old G4 400 and use as a server to connect to scanner, inkjet printers, etc. That way I can download from PB, burn while PB is free to surf and everything else!

sovereign  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 10:13 PM

What kind of real life burn speeds will the Superdrive achieve? If the DVD-R 2X and latest 4X specs are maximum, and many say that the CD burn times are less than the max listed, is the actual burn time more like 1X? Will the speed of burning DVDs with the Superdrive increase with software evolution? Or is this a hardware limitation? It is seeming that the main reason for going with Superdrive is for iDVD...

Please, tell me I need to spend the extra $200- that I can't live without Superdrive!

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by bonk:
Keep in mind that if you go external, you're gonna have to lug it around if you want to take it anywhere, which also means you'll need access to some power.
I was at Fry's a couple of days ago fingering one of the new Pioneer slim drives. They're thin and light like the old VST external CDRW drives.

Might be the way to go for about 350 dollars.

PeteWK

Forum Links
Forum Rules