Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Random icon changes?

Random icon changes?
jcgerm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 12:36 PM

I'm using Panther, and it's been on my machine since the weekend afte the release date. Now, I have icons that are starting to randomly change. The most noticable are the developer folder and all my CD/DVD icons when a disk is mounted. The developer icon changed to a regular folder and now its a life preserver?? Also, all of the CD/DVD icons are now the plain old hard drive icon. So what's going on and how can I change all these icons back without manually doing it one by one?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2003, 03:02 PM

I don't know what to do about it, but I have the exact same problem. My developer folder got some kind of weird mostly-white-with-four-little-dots icon, and when you blow it up in icon view it turned into random other icons from my apps, depending on the day. I finally copied a normal folder icon to it and it's stayed that way for a few weeks now. Also one day all my ".mpg" files got the same thing (the same small icon but random other icons when made larger)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2003, 03:12 PM

I've had things change randomly, too. Dunno what's up with it. Things (like folds *and* files) started turning into the Photoshop CS icon yesterday. Only found two of them, but it's odd, and a little irritating since I almost deleted one of them without realizing it was an important file. I restarted and it was fine. Repaired permissions, forced fsck, and it's good now. Not that that fixed anything, but it's not doing it anymore for now.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 03:34 PM

You actually don't need to repair permissions or fsck. 9 times out of 10 neither of those steps will show up any errors. All you need to do is log out and log back in and it will be fixed. More than likely, its just a preference file that's getting mucked up somewhere.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2003, 12:17 AM

I figured.

It's doing it more and more, though. This bothers me, but I will live.

JBoss303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 08:13 AM

I have this issue too... pretty annoying. This seems like a trivial bug that should have been caught in testing.

bonk
Dec 1, 2003, 10:59 AM

My AIM icon (the flashing one where you get a new IM) kept having this one frame in the animation change to a random app. First it was Safari, then I opened IE and it was flashing IE. It was very annoying.
Dual 500 G4 :: 576mb :: 180gb (120+40+20)
17" PB G4 1.33 gHz :: 1gb :: 80 gb @ 5400rpm

Forum Links
Forum Rules