Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 16)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2009, 09:14 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2009, 12:20 AM

Sounds like your gonna be on Painkillers. Sorry to hear about the accident.

I had a good evening on MW2. Got 2 killstreaks in one game. First a killstreak of 7, then a killstreak of 5. That's damn good for me. Enemies were running into me to be killed on that Sub base map. I think I just got lucky.

Next time I get a new killstreak, I may select one above 7 somewhere.

Oh, and Dakar, that running into an enemy with a grenade. I think that's in the humiliation challenges. It seems more and more challenges open up as you go.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
• Speaking of Crosbie, I may have bruises all over my body from last night. The ****er just kept detonating noob tubes against my body, incessantly. Seriously, if he killed me 15 times last night, 14 of them were via tube. There's only one defense against noob tubes - lag. Trust me, I know, because that's the only reason I don't take people with me sometimes.
Sorry about that. I was going for my 20 shotgun kill challenge with the SCAR-H.

Originally Posted by sek929
Also, also, poor Crosbie last night, we should have backed out and invited him into our party so he could have enjoyed some extra wins...though there is something awesome about killing him over and over again. Of course, since he is one for the vendetta, more often than not he'll come get me after I kill him.
I always enjoy the little mini battles we have on the High Rise map. We always seem to find each other in the lower level tunnels.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2009, 04:59 AM

I sh1t you not, 2days, 23 hours and 45 minutes of playing and I finally Prestige. Ahh the relief !

Think that I got to 11 over the next hour. Not having Ninja really does suck balls.

Dakar seems to be increasing the distance between us, did I see 4 days of play?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2009, 09:26 AM

Hadven't posted in forever but some things from over the last week

Had my best game so far on sunday with a 37-13 romp on High-rise. I've been playing a lot of territories (domination) and its really growing on me, i started playing it exclusively for the "collateral damage" challenge (which i still hadven't got ) because it seems to have a lot more cluster f***s of guys in a single area but i'm starting to actually enjoy it.

As usual i've been my extremely consistent self and between friday and saturday I had multiple 30 kill games along side low doube digit deaths but of course some 9-20 and 6-12 games thrown in.

Finally got to level 40 which netted me my M16, its taken over for the FAMAS and M4A on my two "primary classes".
( Last edited by klb5090; Dec 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: can't type)

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post

Sorry about the car, glad your not hurt.
Lancer GTS? At least now you have an opportunity to get yourself a Ralliart or an EvoX!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 11:14 AM

Sux about the car. That ****er really did that door in.

I can't get a damn thing going the past few days. It became really obvious when I launched a Predator Missile and thought to myself, "I can't remember the last time I did this."

• The 1887 keep surprising me with their range. Speaking of which, the only thing more irritating than people using them, is that whenever I check the scores for those ****ers at the end of games, they're almost never positive and they still use them.

• No seriously, I'm sick of them. I quit two lobbies last night because I had 67 or above guys who were whoring them.

• I have more "close-range" kills with Ninja than I do with Commando and Scrambler combined. Think about that.

• There's been some reports that the update that fixes the Javelin and infinite care package glitches, also nerfs lightweight from 110% speed to 107%.

• I caught a booster last night. A little late , though. As soon as I stabbed his friend he initiated a Nuke and I quit the game. First game I've quit since I got MW2.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2009, 11:31 AM

I was, as you predicted, absolute shite yesterday. I think my best game was +7....ugh I really need Cold Blooded back. I'm so used to running around in the open during Harrier/Helicopter attacks that I'm really making a fool out of myself.

Also, I'll mirror what you said, the Akimbo 1887 dudes usually place in the last two spots on their team, and they almost always have a negative K/D.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Finally got to level 40 which netted me my M16, its taken over for the FAMAS and M4A on my two "primary classes".
Yeah, I just replaced the TAR-21 with an M16 yesterday in my class 3 - I hate the TAR-21, it has too much recoil and jumps too much; I like the M16. Class 1 still has a M4H1 with grenade launcher and FMJ - I love that M4A1. Class 2 and 5 use the FAMAS - one class has a silencer, the other the grenade launcher.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was, as you predicted, absolute shite yesterday. I think my best game was +7....ugh I really need Cold Blooded back. I'm so used to running around in the open during Harrier/Helicopter attacks that I'm really making a fool out of myself.

Also, I'll mirror what you said, the Akimbo 1887 dudes usually place in the last two spots on their team, and they almost always have a negative K/D.
You catch that cheezy jumped into your last game on underpass? I wonder if he was surprised to find it wasn't HC. He stuck around after you left, but I logged off after Terminal, because hey, free Terminal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2009, 01:05 PM

Yeah I saw ol' Cheezy made it into our match, I haven't play much with him because it seems he prefers Headquarters and S&D. it could have been his roomie though, since I was killing him easily, and cheezy is the CoD master of my group of friends.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 01:06 PM

Well, I was surprised I nailed him down three or so times...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah, I just replaced the TAR-21 with an M16 yesterday in my class 3 - I hate the TAR-21, it has too much recoil and jumps too much; I like the M16. Class 1 still has a M4H1 with grenade launcher and FMJ - I love that M4A1. Class 2 and 5 use the FAMAS - one class has a silencer, the other the grenade launcher.
I don't like the M4A1, it has the stopping power of the FAMAS without the accuracy. I'd rather have a FAMAS class for accuracy, and a SCAR/TAR21 class for stopping power.

My favorite AR is still the ACR (even though it's back to being locked now) it has a high rate of fire, excellent accuracy and it looks pretty slick too! It might not be the best for TDM if you're not using Stopping Power, it has a lower damage rating, but its a mean HC TDM machine.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 01:11 PM

I'm putting off trying a fully automatic AR til I can finish my SMG's challenges, which will be a while as it's on my runner class which is really only handy on Skid Row.

I will have to say, a good majority of deaths seem to be M4s with Holo Sights (and SP, usually).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2009, 01:18 PM

SMGs can lick my balls, I'm not even going to use them this time around. I didn't get any Pistol challenges before Prestiging either.

Really I just use ARs, LMGs, Machine Pistols and Sniper Rifles. Maybe in HC I can swing a SMG, but it usually affects at least 2 or 3 kills negatively. When I hit the upper 60s I'll make a d!ckhead 1887 class too.

For sh!ts I equipped Tactical Insertion last night and found it to be wholly useless, but I also got a few from the grave kills using Dakars method of 'if-you're-blinded-cook-a-grenade.'

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 01:23 PM

SMGs can lick my balls, I'm not even going to use them this time around.
Unsurprisgnly the class has SP, but really, I'd like to try it Akimbo. Also, scavenger somehow manages to be even more necessary...

I didn't get any Pistol challenges before Prestiging either.
Yeah, they are truly worthless. It's a shame they don't let you choose what secondary you want for Last Stand.

but I also got a few from the grave kills using Dakars method of 'if-you're-blinded-cook-a-grenade.'
No ****? Sweet.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2009, 01:26 PM

I unlocked the Desert Eagle and I was like "Sweet! A Pistol with some friggin power!" I mean every other game with the Deagle makes it about as powerful as a shotgun at close-range and it has decent accuracy. I emptied three goddamn bullets into the back of a foe and he spun around, with an AR, and killed me. I promptly replaced it with something that doesn't suck ass, like the Raffica.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2009, 02:53 PM

I had something on my mind about prestiging and had forgotten about it, but its back.

I always found (I did 9 levels of Prestige in CoD4 IIRC) that to get enough points to be able to prestige fairly rapidly, one had to do the challenges. Sniper, SMG, AR, shotties etc. I can remember spending days going through the R700 and Dragunov (2 weapons that I don't like) to pass the 100 mark. I mostly played TDM and HQ in CoD4.

Well in MW2 you don't have to do loads of different challenges to Prestige. Don't think that I've done more than 300 kills with all the SMGs and Snipers put together. I wondered if I would have to start setting some classes to the light machine guns around the 60 mark in MW2 - just to complete the challenges and level up. Never needed to.

Not sure if this is good or bad overall.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2009, 02:54 PM

I don't like the M4A1, it has the stopping power of the FAMAS without the accuracy. I'd rather have a FAMAS class for accuracy, and a SCAR/TAR21 class for stopping power.
Strange, i get good accuracy with the M4A1. I find the M4A1 makes a good sniping rifle (I'm still terrible at the sniper rifle) and is especially good on my camping spot in Skidrow - but then I need all the bullets spraying out I can get in my camping spot. With the FMJ, it's great sometimes on the Terminal and Quarry maps when you want to shoot through something. And with the silencer it's good on the Underpass map. I think I got the most longshots with it.

But, I agree the FAMAS is good. I just like a full auto sometimes, and I haven't gotten the FMJ yet, I think, for the FAMAS. The ACR will probably replace the M4A1 for me, once I get it.

On another subject. What is the highest points you got for 1 kill. I think I got 300 or 350 points yesterday for one of my kills. I think it was a headshot (150) buzzkill (adds 100?), with rescue team member (adds 50).

Is there any way in MW2 to see individual MP game stats - that was a nice feature of Halo, I could go back and see how I did in one specific game. I could also check out other people's stats.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Is there any way in MW2 to see individual MP game stats - that was a nice feature of Halo, I could go back and see how I did in one specific game. I could also check out other people's stats.
AFAIK you can only review the last game, with the Y button. You can see how you did overall for number of times that you got the 'Grassy Knoll' accolade.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 03:22 PM

All I know is when stat tracking goes up, if doesn't track everything that has occurred since launch, they can suck on my nuts.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2009, 03:49 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 03:50 PM

Only twice, most recently yesterday.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Sorry about the car, glad your not hurt.
Lancer GTS? At least now you have an opportunity to get yourself a Ralliart or an EvoX!
Yeah it was the GTS. I'm still waiting to find out if they're going to repair it or deem it a total loss. It sounds weird, but I'm kind of hoping its totaled, I don't think it'd ever be the same.

Back on topic, I'll be on a lot today, I'm home from work.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2009, 05:59 PM

Oh, I forgot to bitch about that game on Estate last night. We spawn at the mansion and everyone leaves. Seriously, I was the only person in the house. WTF was that about?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh, I forgot to bitch about that game on Estate last night. We spawn at the mansion and everyone leaves. Seriously, I was the only person in the house. WTF was that about?
I got thrown into a game with 3 on my team, and one enemy.
I got thrown into a game with only 5 seconds left - didn't get a kill.

And lately there are a lot of lost connections or servers.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
ok. Now I knowwhat "Dishes are Done" means.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 12:09 PM

God I suck at this game.

• FYI - Ever wonder why you run out of ammo faster in this game? Well that's because ammo from a M4 with a RDS is not compatible with ammo from a M4 with a Holographic sight. Really. Unless a gun is blinged out in duplicate to yours, they are incompatible. Stupid.

• Wouldn't being equipped with a pop-anytime ammo drop be an interesting addition to the game?

• I'm beginning to believe those comments about Ninja not working properly to be true. At the very least, it seems inconsistent.

• The range on the 1887s continues to impress/surprise me.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2009, 12:20 PM

• FYI - Ever wonder why you run out of ammo faster in this game? Well that's because ammo from a M4 with a RDS is not compatible with ammo from a M4 with a Holographic sight. Really. Unless a gun is blinged out in duplicate to yours, they are incompatible. Stupid.
Yes it is dumb, but doesn't scavenger (sort of) solve this?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 12:24 PM

Isn't that an artificial solution to an artificial problem?

Scavenger has plenty of benefits that would make it attractive outside of gun ammo. And honestly, gun variety in this game is broad enough that you're not always going to get "infinite" ammo. Not to mention that you either have to be quite careless or live a long time to run out ammo, even with an AR. And you still have to be near where someone was killed to get replenish your supply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 12:26 PM

Oh, I finally stuck a Riot Shield dude with a semtex last night. Satisfaction.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2009, 12:41 PM

Isn't that an artificial solution to an artificial problem?
I have a feeling that its historic. In CoD2 (can't remember in CoD UO) and CoD4 IIRC all you had to do was run over someone who had the same weapon. You picked up their nades as well. Maybe it was too easy and IW wanted to add in the 'finite resource' aspect.

Scavenger has plenty of benefits that would make it attractive outside of gun ammo. And honestly, gun variety in this game is broad enough that you're not always going to get "infinite" ammo. Not to mention that you either have to be quite careless or live a long time to run out ammo, even with an AR. And you still have to be near where someone was killed to get replenish your supply.
The run-out-of-ammo scenario was what I felt let down normal TDM, or else the weapons weren't damaging enough/players too strong. Last night I emptied a whole SCAR mag onto someone who had pain killer, and they didn't die. That is pure bollocks. Hardcore felt more real to me (never been in battle or shot by anything so take that for what its worth) when you shot someone, they'd probably die.

Maybe the first patch won't just fix the javelin glitch but will increase hit points for non-HC games, reduce the shotguns' range and let us figure out what Tango Sucka actually means.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 12:48 PM

I have a feeling that its historic. In CoD2 (can't remember in CoD UO) and CoD4 IIRC all you had to do was run over someone who had the same weapon. You picked up their nades as well. Maybe it was too easy and IW wanted to add in the 'finite resource' aspect.
You did not pick up nades in 4. If you want to make it a finite resource, limit it to picking up one clip. If that doesn't solve the 'problem', then you probably need to rebalance weapons (because everyone is using the same one).

It's worth noting that I don't recall people bitching in CoD4 about 'infinite' ammo.

The run-out-of-ammo scenario was what I felt let down normal TDM, or else the weapons weren't damaging enough/players too strong.
Are you kidding me? Players die much faster in TDM in MW2 than CoD4. As far as ammo, I don't know if there's less, but it feels that way. If so, that reeks of overkill (Less ammo, no restocking)

Last night I emptied a whole SCAR mag onto someone who had pain killer, and they didn't die. That is pure bollocks. Hardcore felt more real to me (never been in battle or shot by anything so take that for what its worth) when you shot someone, they'd probably die.
You know, I've seen almost every person on painkiller die. The only times they've ever killed me, they weren't alone.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2009, 01:01 PM

It's worth noting that I don't recall people bitching in CoD4 about 'infinite' ammo.
Not surprising, most people complain when they don't have enough of something, as you did.

Are you kidding me? Players die much faster in TDM in MW2 than CoD4. As far as ammo, I don't know if there's less, but it feels that way. If so, that reeks of overkill (Less ammo, no restocking)
I don't remember it that way, but I agree that it does feel like there is less ammo. My view is that its because people are harder to kill so you shoot more.

You know, I've seen almost every person on painkiller die. The only times they've ever killed me, they weren't alone.
Not my experience, but then you've been playing longer than I have.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 01:07 PM

Not surprising, most people complain when they don't have enough of something, as you did.
People will bitch about anything. If opponents in CoD4 were spraying with reckless abandon because they never ran out of ammo, it'd have caused complaints. As it is, I remember running out of ammo on some of my better runs.

I don't remember it that way, but I agree that it does feel like there is less ammo. My view is that its because people are harder to kill so you shoot more.
People are easier to kill in core. I think this may be why they reduced ammo, but preventing restocking the way they did is still an overcorrection.

Not my experience, but then you've been playing longer than I have.
I imagine circumstances change when its HC.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2009, 01:11 PM

I'd be interested to see the equivalent of this for MW2.

Call of Duty 4 Game Mechanics

I can't find it on the wiki.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 01:16 PM

I've been cheated by painkiller plenty of times, course I've survived plenty of times with painkiller, so it's a wash.

I played wholly unimpressive yesterday, if I had to guess, I'd say I went even K/D for the whole day, maybe even -1. Before I signed off I unlocked Cold Blooded and shot down my first easy Helicopter.

I was playing HC HQ with Cheezy yesterday and we had a pretty interesting match.

It was Underpass and the other team was a clan, all 6 of them. We remained in the lead by a good margin most of the game, capturing 3 HQs for their 1. Our team is securing the HQ at the rear of the map, complete opposite side of the sniping warehouses. I'm camping the building near the staircase, and I rack up a killstreak of 5, and call in the Predator Missile. Right when that happens my team starts yelling, "right in front of you, right in front of you!." There were all 6 guys, clumped together coming down the rear path heading right for my building. I boost the jets and kill 5 guys, would have been 6 but Cheezy polished one off before my missile hit. We are all laughing cuz, well, it was a pretty devastating blow. Then they all quit, every last one of them...bunch of pussies, you're in a clan yet you quit when you're losing....good work assholes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 01:23 PM

I thought you played better than me last night, and I figure I went about even.

cheezy stole an omnicide from you... bastard. Still, must have felt godly.

Clans are all type of pussies. I mean, I'm a self-admitted pussy, and I stick around for a few games before finding a new lobby (Sometimes map makes all the difference). But most of the clans that join our games leave if the first match is a loss. I'm guessing the clans that leave late-match are deathly afraid of trash-talk in the lobby? Because it makes no sense to give up the match bonus otherwise (unless they're that fixated on preventing a k/d free-fall or something).

I think it was this weekend we ripped up a 4 man clan on Terminal. That was quite satisfying.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2009, 01:40 PM

Geez, and here I thought I was the only one who ran out of ammo, because I want to make sure what I shoot stays dead. Nothing worse than getting shot by someone who I thought was dead.

I didn't know that you couldn't get ammo unless your gun was decked out the same as the gun you find. But when I'm low, I tend to start looking for another gun anyways. I can usually find another one around.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 01:41 PM

I use Scavenger Pro for most of my ammo-hungry weapons, with Pro it's almost not necessary to resupply because it gives you extra ammo to begin with.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 01:44 PM

I, uh, am a little grenade happy. Probably because I want semtex sticks.

Still, interesting limitation they put on my thumper - if I empty it and switch to my (still fully stocked) main, I don't pick up ammo for it. I have to switch back to the thumper and run over a backpack before it'll restock (1 round).

Edit: Actually, the grenade thing isn't entirely true. I bet I go through a lot of games without even throwing one I often forget its there.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 01:46 PM

I'm always using my nades, though I've been a frag-only man mostly, maybe I'll try out the Semtex in HC and see how it treats me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 01:47 PM

I feel too vulnerable while cooking frags.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2009, 01:48 PM

It was Underpass and the other team was a clan, all 6 of them. We remained in the lead by a good margin most of the game, capturing 3 HQs for their 1. Our team is securing the HQ at the rear of the map, complete opposite side of the sniping warehouses. I'm camping the building near the staircase, and I rack up a killstreak of 5, and call in the Predator Missile. Right when that happens my team starts yelling, "right in front of you, right in front of you!." There were all 6 guys, clumped together coming down the rear path heading right for my building. I boost the jets and kill 5 guys, would have been 6 but Cheezy polished one off before my missile hit. We are all laughing cuz, well, it was a pretty devastating blow. Then they all quit, every last one of them...bunch of pussies, you're in a clan yet you quit when you're losing....good work assholes.

Lately I've noticed people logging off right after they get hit with a Predator Missile. I launched one on HC TDM* and there was only one person not using Cold Blooded. I hit him with the Missile and by the time my view had gone back to first person it said that he'd quit.
Seriously?!

* In HC it seems that everyone has Cold Blooded on which makes a lot of killstreak rewards useless. What is everyone's HC killstreak loadout?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2009, 01:50 PM

In HC I tend to get lower Killstreaks than TDM so I usually use Care Package, Predator MIssile, and Harrier Strike.

In TDM I usually have Predator Missile, Harrier Strike, and AC-130.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 01:54 PM

AC-130
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KIS8m9mNxRs

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 03:28 PM

The 300 Spartans. These noobs are the ultimate campers! They just picked a valley passage near a beach, locked shields, and literally spawn-camped a million Persians.
Best thing I've read in a while.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2009, 05:27 PM

I'd be interested to see the equivalent of this for MW2.

Call of Duty 4 Game Mechanics

I can't find it on the wiki.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Weapons/Perks/Killstreak Information

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2009, 05:40 PM

sorry for dipping out last night, the doc gave me some new meds and they make me really sleepy.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2009, 07:33 PM

Had a great game. Got 21 kills and 7 deaths. But I did get a Pave Low in a care package.

Got the game winning kill too!
( Last edited by Leonard; Dec 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM. )
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules