Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Final Cut Pro - Viewing Date & Time (DV)??

Final Cut Pro - Viewing Date & Time (DV)??
Thunderbird
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 01:54 PM

My Sony Digital camcorder records the date and time in a datacode that I can view on the camcorder by pressing a button labeled, "data code". How can I view this info from within FCP? I know that FCP saves it, because when I record back out to tape, the data code is still intact. But, I can't figure out how to view the actual data code within FCP.

Help!

MoparSteve
May 24, 2004, 03:10 PM

I'm interested in this question as well, but more specifically, how to have the time code visible on an iDVD disc (importing with iMovie)?

nate_02
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 11:00 AM

I assume on the sony cameras the datacode is the same as timecode. If that's the case, on Final Cut HD, (I think it is in version 2 or 3 also) you can use the timecode reader filter under the video category of video filters. For me it displays the timecode that was on the original tape.
-nate

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 10:36 PM

i think they're using tapes with the little memory chips inside. am I right?

(sorry I don't know the answer to that question)

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 03:07 AM

sorry, have no idea
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

Thunderbird  (op)
Senior User
May 27, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by nate_02:
I assume on the sony cameras the datacode is the same as timecode. If that's the case, on Final Cut HD, (I think it is in version 2 or 3 also) you can use the timecode reader filter under the video category of video filters. For me it displays the timecode that was on the original tape.
Thanks for the suggestion... I tried it, but it didn't show the date and time. It just showed the timecode. Data code is different from timecode. I wonder if there is a filter like that for Data Code.

baglunch
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
i think they're using tapes with the little memory chips inside. am I right?

(sorry I don't know the answer to that question)
they could be, but as a side note sony minidv tapes with the icp chip only works with sony minidv 3ccd cameras. just keep in mind that minidv as a whole does not have locked audio so it can drift from the timecode (which is why a lot of people use dvcam).

Forum Links
Forum Rules