Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there anyone like me out there?

Is there anyone like me out there?
the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 07:53 PM

Hi, I have a dual 2.7 Ghz PowerMac G5, (check my signature for exact specs, and a 1.8 Ghz PowerBook, both of them are running Mac OS X, One Tiger and the other Panther, but you see, they may be running OS X, but my favorite OS, which I use as the dominant OS, is Mac OS 9.2. I love it, I prefer it to OS X because I have been using it for almost 10 years. I still also love and use OS X, when I HAVE to, but I do prefer OS 9, it runs all the apps i need it to, except when I do my advanced DV editing, but otherwise, it's cool how it runs so fast!

Is there anyone who, not only uses, but PREFERS, OS 9?

Even if you don't, please give me your opinion.

Thanks, J.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2005, 08:11 PM

We had a thread like this very recently. Have a look for it.

While im here, if you can prove you really do have a 1.8ghz PowerBook, I'll eat my own ear wax.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2005, 08:11 PM

Yeah, I especially miss this:

And who can forget this? (sniff)

And especially this:

Ah, the good olde days...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

outsourced
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 08:23 PM

Well, my OS X hard drive is named 'ME'. When I think it has a problem, I just type:

FSCK ME

OS 9? Why?
Sorry, dude. But, I'm not looking back.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 08:28 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2005, 08:57 PM

Uh ..... no.

OAW

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 09:15 PM

Is this a carefully worded troll?

I wouldn't be on a Mac today if it weren't for OS X.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2005, 09:24 PM

That's a good trick to run OS 9 on either of your Macs.

Neither of them is capable of booting into OS 9.

Like CharlesS, I miss all those system crashes, my favorite being a total system lockup just from moving the mouse. (and this is on a pristine OS 9 installation-not mucked up with any 3rd party extensions or other crap).

You may think OS 9 is fast but when you have to restart your Mac, how fast is it then?

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 18, 2005, 09:30 PM

10 years? OS 9 was released in 2000, I think. 10 years throws you back to system 7, which was a fair bit different than 9.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2005, 10:23 PM

I cannot stand Mac OS 9 anymore. It was good when it was the only thing to use... and it was also good when OS 10.0 was out as well as 10.1 because I could not get any work done in those OSes. Then when Jaguar came out... I completely DITCHED OS 9 and I didn't even use Classic. If there was something that I needed OS 9 for that OS X couldn't do... I'd hunt versiontracker.com for an OS X utility to do what I wanted. Most of the time I could get away with it. Anyways... I've completly forgotten about OS 9 and I hope I never see it again....

It would be great if I could upgrade to Tiger again though... I miss it kinda. I just wish I could print wirelessly from Tiger... oh well... in Panther I will stay as they say... or as I say... whatever.

mikemako
Senior User
Oct 18, 2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by EmmEff
I wouldn't be on a Mac today if it weren't for OS X.
Same here. In 2001 I was in the market for a computer that was going to be used for music production and I heard that Macs were really great. When I booted up my Dual Processor (533MHz G4 w/1.2GB RAM) running OS 9.1, I thought there was something wrong with it. I even called tech support and asked them why it was so slow when I had more than one application open, and they helped me re-install. No help. It was a weird, buggy system that I experienced many freezes on.

When 10.1 came out a few months later I was thrilled and finally appreciated my rather expensive purchase.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2005, 10:53 PM

Nah, I prefer OS9. Of course, I also like B&W TV though I am thinking of getting one of those remote control doohickeys. Kind of a pain to get up off the couch to change the channel every time. Thankfully, I don't have that cable tv thingie.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 11:07 PM

Say it ain't so Randman!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 04:44 AM

There is no 1.8 GHz PowerBook, at least at this time. Maybe Apple shows them today…

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 05:43 AM

I cant live without *nix underpinnings. I gave up on OS 9 and ran LinuxPPC until OS X came out.

I much rather OS X, and feel its a lot faster - as you can do so many thhings at once.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2005, 07:39 AM

Some ways I do, but perhaps that's because its more of a nostalgic feeling then actual performance or work flow. OSX has proved to be quite stable and effecient with system resources.

I wish one of the changes Jobs did was open it up a little and let themers easily through a standard set of API's change the OSX theme, instead he changes things around every version that breaks ShapeShifter.

Mike

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by the macimum

OS 9 sucks compared to OS X. There is NO contest.

Go join thalo.net and the OS 9 brotherhood.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2005, 07:53 AM

Yes, there are people like you - find them at www.thalo.net . Although, if you're halfway alright in the head, they will seem like a bunch of nutters, since the morsel of justified criticism they level is buried in a deluge of complete ignorance and bullsh!t.

Myself, I don't miss OS 9 in the LEAST.

I wax incredibly nostalgic over System 6 and System 7, though, and I'm actually finally getting around to setting up the fifteen-year-old Macintosh SE that I've recently acquired - that was my first Mac back in 1989, and I'll be putting my favorite old games on it.

Speaking of which: Does anybody have a copy of MacPlaymate (1.0, NOT version 2) lying around? The bastard I lent my entire software archive to years ago lost it ALL, and that is one particular game I have been unable to find on the net (probably due to the legal tangle with Playboy all those years ago).

OreoCookie
Oct 19, 2005, 07:57 AM

For all the people that miss OS 9 (a lot). Every Mac sold nowadays runs a version of OS 9. Yes, it's true.

Take your Apple Hardware Test disk and boot it. What you see is a small version of OS 9. Click a button, and yes, everything stops
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

allblue
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 09:03 AM

My first experience of OSX was 10.2 which came with my G4 iMac. When everything was installed I cloned the HD to my external drive (in case of emergencies.) When I bought 10.3 eighteen months later I did not bother to install Classic because I never used it, OSX being so much better IMHO. A couple of months ago I was working in Photoshop CS and I remembered an old DreamSuite filter from a few years before that would have been perfect for that project. More in hope than expectation I went to the exHD and in the OS9 apps folder I found Photoshop 5.0 (which I had forgotten about) and Hey Presto! it opened in a flash and I could use the old filter. So I have Classic on my back-up drive just so that once in a Blue Moon I can use that one filter! That's what I call legacy software!

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 05:12 PM

No, you're like a precious snowflake!

And no, I did not read the thread.

P
Oct 19, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Colonel Panic
10 years? OS 9 was released in 2000, I think. 10 years throws you back to system 7, which was a fair bit different than 9.
10 years throws you to -95, which is 7.5 and not really all that different from OS 9. The file system changed, and... Not really all that much else. About a million things were ported to PPC, they shored up stability, tweaked the appearance and added some more apps to the OS. Featurewise, Mac OS from 7 on was a lot of glitz on the surface, some under-the-hood tweaking to improve performance and stability, rewriting stuff that was unmaintainable without really adding any major features (Open Transport, VM, Carbon...) but no really revolutionary features.

OS X is right now a very buggy OS, but you can't say that they don't add features. Stuff like Spotlight and Exposé aren't eyecandy, they're some really big features that change your daily workflow - and they added journalling to the filesystem in a point upgrade. I hate the bugs and I hate the interface incosistencies, I wish Apple could take a time out and just fix that for a while instead of working on Leopard - I think it would do more for the overall experience than whatever new cool feature Jobs has prepared to show us at the next WWDC keynote. But that's not to be, because there is this little thing called Windows Vista coming and Apple needs to upstage them. Fixing bugs doesn't sell, as OS 9 showed us. Cool features do.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2005, 06:25 PM

^ OS X isn't perfect by any means, but it's definitely less buggy than OS 9 was, by far. OS 9 was terrible. I, along with many others, stuck with 8.6 until I was forced to 9 by getting a new machine that required it. 9.1 and 9.2 eventually made things a little better, but still.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

david_copperfield
Oct 20, 2005, 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=the macimum

Thanks, J.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you prefer to live in a cave rather than in a warm house. Theory of Evolution has come across a case that it doesn't apply.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2005, 07:03 AM

Lay off of him, guys. He understands and openly admits that he prefers OS9 only because he's used to it. He doesn't try justifying it with unproven theories or AHIG-fundamentalism; he's used to it, so he likes it. That's not a troll by any stretch of the imagination.

This is what we usually say of the remaining OS9-holdouts, even though most of them vehemently deny it. Should we fault someone who admits it for doing so?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 07:14 AM

He says he is using OS9 on brand new macs.

I'd say that is trolling.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 20, 2005, 07:22 AM

Post-and-run'd!!!

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 09:20 AM

Not to mention his 1.8ghz powerbook 12" with dual link DVI to run it's own 30" display.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 02:19 PM

My lord no. back in the OS9 days I probably fixed a extension conflict or crashes on startup every few days on someone's computer. Since everyone I know has upgraded to OSX they have ZERO serious problems.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 02:22 PM

then it really wouldnt be a 12" powerbook now, would it?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

zoetrope
Oct 20, 2005, 02:31 PM

orignally posted by macimum:
Powerbook G4 12", 1,8 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD, it's own 30" Monitor, Wireless Keyboard, and Mighty Mouse, and it's own JBL creature 2 (they're really good!)
I smell a troll, and a bad liar as well.

EDIT: Oh, and yes there are a lot of people like YOU!
( Last edited by zoetrope; Oct 20, 2005 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Emphasis on TROLL)
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Lay off of him, guys. He understands and openly admits that he prefers OS9 only because he's used to it. He doesn't try justifying it with unproven theories or AHIG-fundamentalism; he's used to it, so he likes it. That's not a troll by any stretch of the imagination.

This is what we usually say of the remaining OS9-holdouts, even though most of them vehemently deny it. Should we fault someone who admits it for doing so?
He claims to have a 1.8 GHz PowerBook. . .
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

newtech
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 03:32 PM

OS 9.2.2 is infinitely better than OS X 10.0.0, loses some shine compared to later OS X iterations. 9.2.2 loses the contest after about 10.1.5

OS X is now just getting to where OS 8 was supposed to be before it was retooled for being "overly ambitious"
( Last edited by newtech; Oct 20, 2005 at 03:40 PM. )

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 04:09 PM

Someone is pulling some legs ey?
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
I've come to like Mac OS X, but there are still areas where Mac OS 9 beat the pants off OS X: the Finder, drag-and-drop OS installation and backup, really Snappy™ menus, control panels that aren't confined to a single window, being able to "tab" Finder windows to the edge of the screen, no file extensions, superior laptop power management, etc.

On the other hand, OS X is infinitely more stable, handles multitasking infinitely better, has vastly superior memory handling (real and virtual), amazing plug-and-play support, Exposé and Spotlight, and the plethora of software that's come at us from the "classic" Mac side, the Linux folks, classic UNIX stuff, etc. It really is the best of all the worlds.

tooki

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 04:26 PM

I have a dual core multiprocessor PowerBook G5 2.5GHz that boots OS 9 or Mac OS X 10.5. So I don't see what the big deal is guys. Lay off him ;-) Oh yeah... and it's hooked up to a 39" LCD Display.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by newtech
OS 9.2.2 is infinitely better than OS X 10.0.0, loses some shine compared to later OS X iterations. 9.2.2 loses the contest after about 10.1.5
No way. It wasn't until 10.3 that OS X even had most of the features that OS 9 had. 10.2 was the first truly usable version (10.1 was much too slow), but it lacked all sorts of essential things. 10.3 was truly comparable, and exceeds it in some cases (like Exposé, which was a stroke of genius).

Tiger is the first version, IMHO, that positively wipes the floor with OS 9. It's fast and feature-rich.

tooki

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
No way. It wasn't until 10.3 that OS X even had most of the features that OS 9 had. 10.2 was the first truly usable version (10.1 was much too slow), but it lacked all sorts of essential things. 10.3 was truly comparable, and exceeds it in some cases (like Exposé, which was a stroke of genius).

Tiger is the first version, IMHO, that positively wipes the floor with OS 9. It's fast and feature-rich.

tooki
Yes very true!

I have a G4 that can run OS9 but I wiped the drive clean this past summer and all it has on it is 10.4. I have never looked back as I can say that every bit of software that I run in up to date with the new OS.

I am now just looking to replace that machine and get one of the new G5s.

I cannot remember when I restarted my Powerbook with OS9, and it can.

West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

Forum Links
Forum Rules