Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hi all. Just Switched!

Hi all. Just Switched!
Quantum Flux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2005, 08:13 AM

Ok i have just joined and i wanted to say hello. I have allways been a hard-core PC fan but I've started selling up all my PC gear in exchange for a shiny new G5 power mac and 20" cinema display.

If anybody has any reccomendations before i buy it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 08:25 AM

word is that there will be new powermacs tomorrow... so at least wait till then
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Quantum Flux  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2005, 08:27 AM

I cant afford to buy a new one so im getting a second hand dual 2ghz (but brand new display)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 08:44 AM

Ok, cool.

I have a Dual 2Ghz G5, it flies along! They will be even cheaper if new PM's come out tomorrow... I also have a 20" screen, also very nice.

A lot of people here will reccomend you get the Dell 20" screen though, as it is the same screen, but a lot cheaper!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 08:54 AM

Welcome in the Mac World!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2005, 10:50 AM

I'd think twice about the 20" Cinema Display... Dell's 2005FPW has a newer revision of the same panel with a brighter backlight, better stand, more input options, and lower price.

RayK
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2005, 12:22 PM

As sad as I am to recommend Dell over Apple I think mhuell is right. The Dell performs about the same is can be grabbed for almost half the price. Also, the 23" Cinema Display is FULL of problems, stay away. The display has a problem with white spots that they will not admit to. I went through 4 brand new Cinema Displays and none of them were problem free. So I saved $500 and went with the Dell 2405FPW. Maybe tomorrow they will announce a reversion in the Cinema Displays as well and start using better parts.
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by RayK
Also, the 23" Cinema Display is FULL of problems, stay away.
Yeah, almost every 23" I've seen has a pink tint to it. Very obvious at the Apple store when it's sitting between a 20" and 30".

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2005, 02:07 PM

I have a 23" CD and have not had any issues. I did get it refurbed so maybe it originally had a problem. But the new Dell 24" ones look nice too. Just wish they came in silver with a nicer stand. I like the look of the Apple display more than Dells.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 02:19 PM

Apple's pro announcement in New York isn't until Wednesday, not tomorrow.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2005, 02:37 PM

Was going to buy a Mini today (for a server). Guess I'll wait until Wednesday, just in case. :-)

J...
Converted 4/29/05

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2005, 02:39 PM

The Minis have already beeen updated. They're shipping at 1.33 and 1.5GHz.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2005, 02:49 PM

Lateralus, I know but it would be my luck they offer something new. Two more days won't kill me. :-) Won't have too much time to migrate my stuff till the weekend anyways.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

Quantum Flux  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2005, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

Is the apple diplay covered by a warranty that covers ANY provlems. So could i just have it exchanged for a new one if it ends up with white spots or somrthing?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quantum Flux
Is the apple diplay covered by a warranty that covers ANY provlems. So could i just have it exchanged for a new one if it ends up with white spots or somrthing?
Yes, but as many people have reported, the replacement display often has the same (or a different) problem.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Quantum Flux
Thanks for the advice guys.

They certainly don't replace it for dead pizels. You might read into this
and think about the idea of negociating with the reseller to only accept a perfect (= no dead pixels) display.

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman
and think about the idea of negociating with the reseller to only accept a perfect (= no dead pixels) display.

Do your homework and find a good retail outfit so that you can do the return if you are not satisfied with you monitor.

I have a 20" Apple Display that I am very happy with, by the way.
( Last edited by Westfoto; Oct 21, 2005 at 03:38 PM. )
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman

Wrong. Apple certainly DOES replace displays AND computers that have a certain number of dead pixels. They will replace displays if the pixels are in a certain portion of the display that makes it unusable.

It might not be a stated policy, but that does not mean they don't do it. I have seen it done in the Apple Store.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

crooner
Senior User
Oct 23, 2005, 08:48 AM

Here's an interesting read on Apple’s pixel policy:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=604

Here's my personal experience...
Last Wednesday, right after the new announcements and price drops on displays, I went to the local Apple Store to buy a 30" Apple Cinema Display to go in between my two Dell 24" screens. (Yep... a dream setup!)

When I got to the store I immediately asked to speak with a manger. A very nice young woman introduced herself to me and I explained that I was there to get a 30" to go along with my dual 2.7 G5. Considering that this was a serious financial investment I explained to her that this was my eleventh Mac, my concern over bad pixels and asked if I could test it in-store. She said that I would have to pay for it first, but after that she would have someone hook it up to a machine on the floor to test. If I discovered any bad pixels she said she would let me open another box until i was satisfied. I have to say I was extremely impressed with her courtesy and understanding.

I remember reading something on the web months ago stating that part of Apple's "unofficial" policies on this subject are, in many cases, up to the discretion of the managers at Apple Stores. Even if you discover one bad pixel, if you get the right person, they can absolutely allow you to try another.

In my case, I downloaded PIXel Check and ran it through its paces. To my incredible relief and grateful nod to the display Gods there wasn’t a single flaw in the huge 30" display. As I type right now and look at it I still marvel at what a thing of beauty it is.

So... I guess the moral of the story is to sweet talk a manager and be polite yet firm, but always keeping it on a somewhat personable level.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Footy
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2005, 10:43 AM

Apple does replace for pixels but it has to be a certain amount within a certain portion of the screen. However if you buy from Bestbuy they have a very good return policy on their protection plans that will allow you to exchange it for one pixel. The downside is once you've replaced it your stuck (if I remember right). So if anyone is worried about an easy exchanged I'd buy from Bestbuy.

That said, there are many nice LCD monitors available and I think I'd look into the Dells. Personally I'm a fan of Samsung.

Originally Posted by Macpilot
Wrong. Apple certainly DOES replace displays AND computers that have a certain number of dead pixels. They will replace displays if the pixels are in a certain portion of the display that makes it unusable.

It might not be a stated policy, but that does not mean they don't do it. I have seen it done in the Apple Store.

gadster
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 09:14 AM

I do hope you won't let a dead pixel get between you and the awesome experience the OS X is.
e-gads

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I'd think twice about the 20" Cinema Display... Dell's 2005FPW has a newer revision of the same panel with a brighter backlight, better stand, more input options, and lower price.
I purchased the Dell.
I wish I purchased the Apple.

Yes, the Dell works as advertised. Performance is great. It's feature rich. But ... it's REALLY ugly. I didn't realize how much it would detract from my home office. (When you walk in the room you see the back of the monitor). My old 17" Apple ADC LCD was very attractive. You had a single wire going to the back of the PC. (Similar to the single wire look in Apple's current displays.) The Dell looks like someone gutted R2D2. It's just horrible looking.

Works great .... but ugly. Kind of like the guy on the nightshift at the supermarket. It does the job but you don't want to look at it.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by driven
I purchased the Dell.
I wish I purchased the Apple.

Yes, the Dell works as advertised. Performance is great. It's feature rich. But ... it's REALLY ugly. I didn't realize how much it would detract from my home office. (When you walk in the room you see the back of the monitor). My old 17" Apple ADC LCD was very attractive. You had a single wire going to the back of the PC. (Similar to the single wire look in Apple's current displays.) The Dell looks like someone gutted R2D2. It's just horrible looking.

Works great .... but ugly. Kind of like the guy on the nightshift at the supermarket. It does the job but you don't want to look at it.
Can't do much about having 2-3 cables instead of one, but if you don't like the stand you could buy a pretty VESA mount (the Dell already has the appropriate plate on the back for it, unlike the ACDs where you have to pay more for it).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2005, 09:34 AM

Wouldn't the VESA mount require a wall? (Mine sits on a desk in the midde of the room)

FWIW: The room looked much better when I had the G4 Cube as well. As pretty as the G5 is, it ain't quite the same. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by crooner
She said that I would have to pay for it first, but after that she would have someone hook it up to a machine on the floor to test. If I discovered any bad pixels she said she would let me open another box until i was satisfied. I have to say I was extremely impressed with her courtesy and understanding.

I remember reading something on the web months ago stating that part of Apple's "unofficial" policies on this subject are, in many cases, up to the discretion of the managers at Apple Stores. Even if you discover one bad pixel, if you get the right person, they can absolutely allow you to try another.
I, too, have heard reports of Apple loosening their dead pixel policy to the point of replacing displays with even a single stuck pixel.

Incidentally, if you do an in-store pixel test, see if they'll let you leave your new display on in the store for a few hours. Often it takes a few hours of operation for faulty pixels to burn out.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by driven
Wouldn't the VESA mount require a wall? (Mine sits on a desk in the midde of the room)
Some VESA mounts are designed for desks (this and this are two examples), but now that I look at them they're not much better than the Dell stand.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 06:41 PM

I've done quite a lot research on Dying/Dead/Stuck Pixels, and according to the extensive research I've done, pixels never burn out. They're either dead the first time you turn it on, or they don't die.

STUCK pixels, however, are extremely rare, but may happen after some use. It's also apparently possible to coax them out of their stuck state by rubbing the LCD a bit.

My two cents.
Linkinus is king.

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
I've done quite a lot research on Dying/Dead/Stuck Pixels, and according to the extensive research I've done, pixels never burn out. They're either dead the first time you turn it on, or they don't die.
That is not quite true, when I got the 24" Dell, it had no dead pixels or such and a week exactly later from it arrived one appeared and has stuck ever since.
Two inches from the top, two inches from the middle to the left but its so small you can hardly see it unless I had a pure white background.

Trying to revive the pixel with certain flashy vid's going about never works that I found anyway nor did trying to rub the pixel in a circular motion. It's been dead ever since. They also say dead pixels are either black or white and lazy pixels are usually stuck coloured ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules