Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP: Just a stop-gap akin to original PB G3?

MBP: Just a stop-gap akin to original PB G3?
cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2006, 12:44 PM

My TiBook 500mhz is on its last legs. It's been a trusty companion for the past 5 years, but it's showing its age and the time to upgrade is coming in the next 6 to 18 months. I'd jump on the MBP, but I have this nagging feeling of deja vu:

The original G3 PB as you all will recall, was basically a G3 shoe-horned into a 5300 case. It definitely smoked the prior PB versions, but was really just a stop-gap until the completely redesigned (Lombard) G3 PBs could come out.

So is that what we're seeing now with the MBP? Is it just a intel core duo shoe-horned into a Alu-PBG4 case? Is it reasonable to expect completely redesigned PB in the next year and a half? (Something with a carbon fiber case, in black, with more magnets, say). Or has Apple already so-perfected laptop design that all we'll really see are small incremental bumps (rev. B, etc.)?
cpac

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2006, 01:12 PM

I'm having the exact same nagging feeling. So much so that I'm going to wait and see what happens with the Intel iBooks and probably get one of those as a stopgap family laptop while waiting for rev B of the MBP. (At least, that's my state of mind as of 12.15 today, by 12.30 I'll probably have changed it again!)

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Mar 2, 2006, 01:25 PM

I think the design is near perfect...it there's a redesign in the works, it's going to be a minor one. After all, the MBP has been redesigned...it's not exactly the same as the PowerBook it replaced.

There's only so much you can do to a laptop...it needs a display, a keyboard, and a pointing device (generally a trackpad).

Unless there's a paradigm shift in mobile computing, Apple will keep its sleek, minimal, clutter-free design it has right now. The only thing that may change is the shell material...everything else about the laptop is pretty much perfect.

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2006, 07:52 PM

I think you're right, this form factor several years old, but I think Apple wanted to keep a consistent "look" through the switch.

That and the fact I'm sure it was easier and more cost effective to keep things more similar to the old design while they worked out the kinks with the new hardware. I would imagine a whole new design is coming with Merom.

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 08:42 PM

Merom will make MBP better as it will be part of NGMA and is 64-bit. If u wait even longer penryn at 45nm will be even better consuming lower power, higher speeds and maybe quad core( That looks unlikely).

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2006, 09:11 PM

Of course, if you keep worrying about whether the next model will trump the current model, you'll be waiting forever. The best advice is: If you want a new machine, either out of convenience or necessity, get one. If not, don't.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 10:58 PM

The case is new/different (thinner, different hinge, different ports, etc)... I think Apple loves the aluminium and will keep it.

jeebus
Mar 3, 2006, 04:23 AM

I think it is a bit naive to say that the Aluminum models they have now are "perfect" and that Apple won't be redesigning them. I don't think anyone with a Pismo G3 powerbook thought that it needed to be redesigned but everyone was blown away by the titanium powerbook. The titanium powerbook was critically acclaimed but they made it even better with the aluminum powebooks. Who knows exactly when (maybe with Merom) but eventually in the next couple of years I'm positive Apple is going to completely redesign the case/exterior of the powerbooks/macbook pros whatever they decide to call them.

I ordered my MBP anyway because I'm tired of waiting. While the outside remains relatively unchanged, the huge boost to the interior components was well worth waiting since september. But you have to draw the line somewhere. I really didn't want to wait any longer.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2006, 04:48 AM

They'll probably redesign it in a year or two simply to shake up the market with a new look anyway.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 04:28 PM

Gah! Am I the only one to be offended by the suggestion that Kanga's successor was Lombard, rather than the wonderful (R.I.P.) Wallstreet G3 Series and G3 Series II machines?

But every Powerbook is a stop-gap compared to the next one. After Wallstreet indeed came Lombard, which added USB (and dropped ADB) and a NewWorld ROM, and soon enough came Pismo and Firewire, leaving my Wallstreet's SCSI port orphaned...

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 05:52 PM

I have owned a PISMO and I loved it until I got my 1GHz Ti PB. When my MacBookPro arrives I am sure I will love that too. I have never had any issues with any of the Powerbooks I have owned.

Apple makes great products period.

cpac  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Gah! Am I the only one to be offended by the suggestion that Kanga's successor was Lombard, rather than the wonderful (R.I.P.) Wallstreet G3 Series and G3 Series II machines?
My apologies - I knew I'd forgotten a model in there somewhere...
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules