Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > File sharing - how to restrict one machine's access to another?

File sharing - how to restrict one machine's access to another?
jeff k
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2009, 02:14 AM

2 quick questions on file sharing:

to share files between my G5 and my Laptop.
Question: is there a way to limit what is available to the laptop from the G5? ( ie in case of local theft of the laptop)

also, when I open a small word doc, from laptop is opens fine, but a larger Excel file (512k), does not open (wheel keeps spinning) --and I have to force quit excel. I've rebooted and test several times. whats the deal thanks!!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2009, 02:39 AM

1. What services are you using to share the files between your G5 and laptop? Just normal OS X File Sharing in the Sharing pane of System Preferences, or something else? If you're just sharing when the two computers are connected on the same LAN (that's most likely the case), then even if the laptop has the ability to log in to your G5 someone from a different network won't be able to access your G5 remotely (unless you're using some dynamic DNS service and port forwarding).

2. As for opening files, you should be able to open even large shared files. I have launched large applications through file sharing, so a large file shouldn't be a problem. It may be slower to open up a large Excel file from the network, but it should eventually open.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 12:14 PM

Thanks Big, yeah, it's just normal file sharing pane.

1) the concern is narrow, but here it is: if the laptop was stolen by someone in my apartment building and it stayed in building they would have live access to all my hardrives.
It's a longshot, but I have to think of everything. Should I worry about that? That why I was asking if it's possible to have the access of the laptop limited to certain folders.

2) Yeah, just 512k excel files with 1000 names wont open up. any ideas?

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2009, 01:42 PM

you can certainly limit access to certain files; but you could also just turn file sharing off on the G5 if/when the laptop is stolen. If you're *that* concerned about security, you probably ought to turn on file vault and have laptop require your password upon waking from sleeping as well.
cpac

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks Cpac.
Good tip, but then I would want to turn it on again, when I get a new laptop. But then maybe I could change the password for the router right? That give access to the whole game right?

I don't want to get involved with file vault and more password security as it defeats the purpose of the convenience of file sharing.

That said:
Can I limit what the laptop sees to just one folder? and if so how?
Why do certain excel files not open on laptop while others do?

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2009, 02:45 PM

Yes, you could just change the file sharing password to avoid having the person who lives in your building who stole your laptop and wants to steal the files on your G5 from being able to do so.

You can limit file sharing by choosing to share only certain folders. I don't have my machine in front of me, but the built in Apple help should be pretty good about how you do this.

I have no idea why you aren't able to open certain excel files on the laptop. You should try copying them to the laptop to see if they open - then you'll know if it's a file sharing issue or an excel issue, etc.
cpac

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2009, 05:26 PM

Cpac,
there is no "file sharing" password, its' a password for the router. right?

Looked at Apple help. The talk about copying the folder to the public folder.
But I don't want to work off a copy and then have to copy back.
I tried an alais to the dropbox but it did not work.
Appreaitenly alias don't work with file sharing.
Any ideas?

The files that wont open copy fine to the laptop desktop. That the workaround, copy to desktop, work on, copy back in

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 12:22 AM

If you've turned it on, there's a password for your local airport network. This may be what you mean by "password for the router." Beyond that, file sharing usually requires a second password. When you connect to another computer, you have to log onto that second computer using a username and password (just like you have to log into the machine itself). You could change either password to prevent access by another party.
cpac

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 02:20 AM

Ok, so I'd probably change the pass for the network (router), don't know how to do that know. I think it was does through Netgear if I remember. I just use an easy password, but the files are just live when you open the laptop.

What about what I said about the alias not working. Still not solution to just geting the folders I want to show.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2009, 08:43 AM

You should also assign a password to every shared resource. Giving the router a real password is a Very Good Idea, but your quandary is how to protect your shared resources; protect them with passwords.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 08:57 PM

Good advice, but still begs the original quesiton.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Good advice, but still begs the original quesiton.
How? When you share a resource, you have the option of assigning it a password. For example, if you want to share files on your Mac with other people in the apartment, just select the appropriate folder to share, then click the "Options" button, choose SMB sharing, and assign it a password. Once that's done, only people on your network who ALSO have that password (which is generally saved in the Keychain) will have access to your files. Your flatmate's MacBook is stolen, you change your passwords, and even if the thief tries to see your private files, he will be locked out by the password.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 11:35 PM

GH,
that is great advice is what i'm saying is that my original question is still this:
Can I limit what the laptop sees to just one folder?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2009, 08:32 AM

Ah, I see where I was being confusing. Sorry. I don't know how to limit the scope of a specific computer in OS X. I think you could make some sort of progress by editing a hosts file, but I'm not sure exactly where to start with that. (Edit hosts to allow only certain LAN connections by redirecting all requests for LAN IPs to localhost except for the "allowed" connections?)

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2009, 03:07 PM

Over my head..

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2009, 04:35 PM

1. Turn on File Sharing.
2. Drag or click the + button to choose a folder you want to share into the Shared Folders pane.
3. Select which accounts (if any) can access that folder. Click the + button if the account you want isn't listed.
4. Select what type of permissions they have for that shared folder and its contents.

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2009, 03:39 AM

Ole,
is that + button available in Tiger? my G5 is Tiger. the laptop is Leopard.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2009, 11:06 PM

Hello? anyone out there?
2nd try, that screenshot looks wonderful, but I don't see an add + button to add a specific folder.
Is this a Leopard only thing?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2009, 11:23 PM

I believe that you can select sharing rights individually by folder in Tiger. Read this Apple knowledge base article on sharing for more details on the how-tos. The Sharing pref pane is different in Tiger, but you should be able to assign the appropriate rights using the instructions in the Apple article.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2009, 03:41 PM

GH,
I've tried sharing to a public folder using an alias and it did not work. Very convoluted too.

Ole Pidgeion is showing a screenshot in which one somple navigates to a specific folder to share, hence, restricing the rest not to share.

This seems to be perfect, but I don't see that add button. I'm in Tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules